The more I hear pro players on Twitch and YouTube and the D2 fanboys on Reddit and the Blizzard boards throw their feedback in the game devs' faces, the less excited I am for D4

Could be related to them shltting over D3 all the time right here on the Diablo 3 forum.

See what I mean?

8 Likes

Where are they supposed to do it then of not on the official forums for the game?

It’s not like I’m lying about the things I say…

2 Likes

Yes you are. You are playing D3 yourself, trash itemization not withstanding.

2 Likes

This mindset right here is exactly what blizzard listened to with warcraft and the game declined beyond their worst nightmare

2 Likes

I am playing it, which is why I can criticize it.
What am I lying about?

1 Like

Expressing demands

THAT is the problem, when people feel they’re right (even if they are) they start less of opinion expression and frame discussion by “confirmation-bias” standards at all cost/s

Not always, but OFTEN success (even if temporary) creates fanaticism, fanatics start not expressing opinions, instead their attitude is there’s no wrong in asking to get exactly what they want, i.e. demands

I didn’t put my post where I posted the criteria to which feedback gets categorized for no reason, it’s so that people find what in reality makes them give feedback/s

IMO the way to prioritize feedback by experience is the following:

P#1 - Realize why and make sure not repeat negative experience/s
P#2 - Openly discuss alternatives for P#1
P#3 - Suggestion/s to what other things could be of use (especially previous experience/s as a start)
P#4 - Brainstorming new ideas (but NOT repeat them again all over)

Everything else is MUCH LESSER priority, INCLUDING

• Repeating positive experience

Mainly cause of 2 reasons, 1 because not everyone shares the same opinion/perception of things that were, and 2 because that kind of behavior is guided by “frames”… People should be open-minded, not demanding/judgmental to get what they ask for

AT LEAST that’s like my priority for feedback take/s

I’m not saying that D3 guys give better feedback, but it’s much less likely and much less inclined to be “confirmation-bias” driven

When people give view/s of position of “doubt” mixxed with “regret” are much more inclined to talk in details what went wrong. Whilest D2 guys (especially the prime/successful ones) tend to speak of pride viewpoint (IMO), which to be frank isn’t good to “creating new future” or “designing new features”, cause again the “Frame” i.e. “Confirmation-bias” problem overall

Long-Story-Short

Successful people simply don’t want to change what brought them success, and I think that is NOT what the devs need as a feedback overall

1 Like

Yeah, thats how it works! Blue with cool affix makes rare with cool affix.

Those are really kind words, thank you for those.
I’m very glad you like the system, since youre not a D2 zelot.

In my opinion the crafting system should be introduced as early as possible in the game. If you as a new player understand that you can take this white item and these two blue ones and make a new cool yellow one, your curiosity will take over and you’ll learn the system right quick.

[For all the D2 zelots out there, I bet you’ll like my system too.]

I all for good suggestions that moves things forward as opposed to restrictive changes that walks the genre backwards. And I know opinions differ on what is forward and what is backwards. But games need to be fun at the end of the day and many of the systems in D2 just make the game less fun than others that have moved away from such systems.

So……… Grim Dawn?

1 Like

This. (20 characters)

1 Like

That wasn’t what the other poster was claiming.

As long as they’re not taking a crap on casuals, good for them. I’ve never said there’s nothing to learn from D2, personally, but I will say that some features viewed as strengths can been seen as weakness by others.

I’m going to have to stop you right there because you’re trying to masquerade opinion as fact. Want to know what I think was trash about D2 itemization? That there was a gross over-reliance on the +skills affix that went above and beyond what trifecta did to D3. The fact that low level items were still endgame worthy because nothing better existed in the progression chain. When I see people clamoring for a long-term experience, but are happy with an early game reward lasting them forever, I can’t help but detect a hint of hypocrisy. Inventory tetris and limited stash space? The entire Treasure Class system being hidden and not intuitive to actual progression? Runewords, as a system, were a primitive form of crafting that contained a high number of garbage items not worth their cost. Some affixes were outright filler and arguably a waste of slot. Wasn’t a fan of seasonal exclusives then and now. And likely a few more nuanced things I’m forgetting off the top of my head.

How many cons does a person have to list before someone might agree that D2 wasn’t all that and the proverbial bag of chips? Because I know when I see people citing D2 as perfect, or near enough, I also see individuals not willing to acknowledge those problems at all.

This is a little better than just labeling things as trash, but I’m not going to further pry specifics because this isn’t really about WoW proper. Just a reminder that constructive criticism needs to be more than just, “I don’t like it!” and/or in the form of insult.

Good and original aren’t mutually exclusive. To some extent, it’s always an experiment, and not everything works out. How the company responds to those moments of duds is important. Blizz could’ve easily left launch D3 as it was and I’d safely predict we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now because everyone would’ve gotten sick of it and abandoned ship years ago. Conversely, there has been no shortage of people who outright claim D3’s foundation is rotten and beyond salvaging, which is a sentiment I have disagreed with since I first saw it. The problem has always been, to this day, Blizzard’s lack of willingness to work through it. Them pretty much giving up after RoS is my personal acknowledgment of such.

Relative to the survey, I’d say it’s also important to stress that AAA gaming is suffering from people who don’t actually make games having the power to influence their design. When your team of coders could concoct the perfect system, but the big boss swoops in says nope, do something else, it really puts those low on the totem pole in an awkward position. Saying devs should have to play the games they make is something that sounds like a no-brainer, but this creative disconnect is still an issue, and chasing things like social media presence further exacerbates missing out on the essence of entertainment. As well, the key difference between devs playing and dedicated players is access to data the latter doesn’t have. They can find out how many have actually cleared specific content, how many people are actually online at a given time, which skills are being used or not, and so on, in real-time without speculation or reliance on limited 3rd party data harvesting. Stuff like this is where you learn maybe 5-15% of a MMO’s population actually clears current raids, and I could also tell you that’s not because the remaining 85%+ of a population sucks. There’s more to it than that, which is also why you need to understand players and that there will never simply be one true way to play.

3 Likes

Complexity and required timesink are not equivalent things.

Depth means it actually challenges you to think and play smart. So it’s less about having free time and more about actually using your braincells for a change. You can have a game be very complex and deep without necessarily being a timesink.

Somehow I doubt the majority of the players that would be interested in an RPG of any sort wants a game that offer literally no challenge and just throws the answer at your face.

However, with that said, I’m not even sure if you are interested in Diablo at all. It’s a franchise famous for being extremely grindy and time consuming, why would you want to play D4 in the first place if you don’t like it’s biggest selling point of being a good timesink?

Gamers do not know what they want.
That’s a fact.

Many people on these forums ask for complexity or really hardcore mechanics because of planning fallacy and bias. Because they imagine how rewarding it would feel for them to overcome such challenge, to fight against all odds and win, to master the complex and convoluted system and make it work for them.
They don’t plan and don’t think how frustrating it will be on the way to that reward, and if it’d worth it. They have happily forgotten Diablo 3 launch where only select classes had a realistic chance to beat Inferno Diablo or even reach it. They have forgotten.

All they see is a prize, not the road.

90% of people who ask for insanely challenging, punishing or hardcore mechanics would NOT be patient enough to play such a game. They ask them because it’s cool in their head, not because it’s cool to play.

But I wouldn’t worry. Because Blizzard knows all of that. Any game developer worth their bread KNOWS that what gamers ask for is NOT what they actually will to play with enjoyment.

1 Like

You do realize that such words have no value because they’re mere publicity talk.
This is one of those by-the-book phrases that any developer knows both press and players like to hear.

D3’s progression isn’t a joke.
Less than 1% of active players reach GH140+. And even less reach 150. I mean in-season of course.

This tells me that the progression in D3 is in fact very well done, unlike D3 where you can beat Hell Baal in mismatched rags, and that’s the highest challenge of the game beaten and the rest of the gameplay that’s supposed to consist of you farming for loot is simply POINTLESS. Because yes, your power keeps increasing with levels and gear - but there is no point whatsoever in that increase. There is never a harder boss or stage that is yet left unbeaten.

D3 does it’s job VERY well in that regard.

3 Likes

It’s not a lie. The number of active players is low, it has been throughout most patches of RoS. Sure, Blizzard are not providing numbers themselves, but you can extrapolate from the ladder.
Especially back in 2016 when there were big ban waves, I ended up on the ladder accidentally, after doing the seasonal journey.
And while I would assume, that the player base is bigger than it was then, several thousands is nothing compared to millions of sold copies.

To think the game has a large active player base is pure fantasy. Or, in your words, if you are saying this deliberately – a lie.

2 Likes

I dont blame most of you D3 people.
You are the new generation lacking imagination and creativity how to build characters.
The D3 System design has to do all maths for you and you prefer a restricted system than a customizable system.

3 Likes

You tell me, kid… I don’t watch them either.

1 Like

People acting like they didn’t just cookie cut on Diablo 2 also. facepalm

Though I liked that your builds weren’t public (even though mods came out to spy on builds)