The cube's 4th slot is awesome!

And between

playing D3V when released where actually completing the campaign was an achievement and getting a legendary was a bigger achievement

and playing D3 now where you can do a rift at T16 in under 5 minutes while blindfolded

I will take the first because I will get bored after 15 minutes because of the no skill involved in option 2

they could also increase “double xD” the values of LoD or add more useful support items on weak slots or rework skills+passives…

ok adding the 4th slot would be the easy way to go i gues…

It sucks because it’s season-only and it’s temporary, so whatever tweaked build you come up with gets thrown in the trash as soon as the season ends.

5 Likes

I love it too. It gives so many more opportunities for creative builds. Folks who are tired of the many ‘cookie cutter’ builds must be having a blast with this. Please, Blizzard, keep it forever!

10 Likes

Coming from someone who hasn’t played in a long time, the 4th cube slot actually had added flexibility to builds which has been sorely needed for a long time which added to the fun factor for me. It was the only reason I came back to play seasons. I am usually against more power creep but when the pay off is variety of builds, I for one am all for it.

7 Likes

I am mostly a single player NS player since I don’t get enough play time with my real life commitments to ever “finish” builds enough to want a fresh start that the season offers, but often end up with a seasonal character to check out the themes that seem more fun. I have max stash tabs and don’t really care that much about cosmetic rewards, so to me it makes more sense to stay in NS and keep developing those characters. I understand I’m probably a minority in this.

So anyway given the above context, I think keeping the 4th slot rolling over into NS would be cool because there’s existing characters I have in NS that I would love to try out variations of without refarming all the items to be well rolled ancients to try them out on season. Again, doing this with NS existing characters let’s me go at my own pace since I’m limited by playtime, and I can spend more time playing the build I want to vs. establishing my items and resources in a new season.

I also think that having your build be potentially broken as a result of losing the season theme “feels bad”, but I know previous themes did this and many players only play season so they don’t care about playing old seasonal characters in NS later.

I think the power creep trade off is worth the extra fun of more combinations available in this case, so it would be cool if they made the 4th slot a permanent cube upgrade for all game versions, but I won’t leave sleep over it going away after season 22 ends either, as I think that is the much more likely case.

8 Likes

Here is the current seasonal worldwide leaderboard broken down by top solo GR clear and the total number of players who have cleared GR 134 and above.

Class Top Seasonal GR Clear Seasonal GR Clears 134 and above Percentage of total GR 134 and above clears
Barbarian 137 3 0.2%
Crusader 141 83 6.4%
Demon Hunter 145 131 10.1%
Monk 138 5 0.4%
Necromancer 150 1030 79.4%
Witch Doctor 139 7 0.5%
Wizard 143 38 2.9%

This power discrepancy would make me apprehensive for making the 4th cube slot permanent in non-season.

The top seasonal 4 man team has cleared GR 150 in less than 5 minutes.

1 Like

It’s awesome. Opens up wayyy more builds.

4 Likes

It is and it needs to stay. Honestly I watched a podcast recently and they said something along the lines of “The games come so far now so let’s just say screw it and forget balance and go crazy and have fun” so I think we should do just that from now on. Go nuts with the next season. Make stupid new sets etc.

4 Likes

Necromancer already cleared GR150 solo at P2700 with not even 150 gems. Keeping 4th cube slot would make NS a joke with P10,000+ & full 150 augments.

This theme SHOULD NEVER move to NS unless you delete the necromancer class first.

2 Likes

GR150 solo necro was done on Korea server btw before some dummy say the highest is only low 140’s.

Asians are naturally better gamers so expect 150 clears on NA & EU later.

2 Likes

Wudi did it the other day but missed the mark by 2 minutes so it’s very possible. The 4th slot is making Necros very broken. He wasn’t even full aug or gems.

will be introduced in 500 years when they start listening to the opinions of the players!

The “it will make Necro too OP” argument can be resolved by tone down the shadowhook or bracer.

Moreover, the mindset that someone will benefit more or have more fun, even if it benefit everyone, so we can’t have it, is regressive mindset.

4 Likes

Let’s exclude necromancers “excess” power from the discussion.

Does the game need more power creep (lets say about 3 GRs per most non-necromancer builds) or does it need better balance so you do not have classes who are the haves and have not?

Truly progressive thinking is that all classes should have equal opportunity where your skills/ abilities/ aptitudes/ work ethic determine success, not what class you prefer to play.

How does the 4th cube slot affect group play?

Both the EU and AS Top 1000 non-season leaderboards are fully GR 150 clears. In EU, one needs to clear GR 150 in 9m 31.600s to be rank 1000. In Asia, it is GR 150 in 7m 31.666s to be rank 1000. The fastest GR 150 clear is now under 3 minutes. Having both DPS and zDPS stronger will trivialize group play.

1 Like

You are MISSING the point.
We want the 4th slot NOT because we want more power creep.

It is because we want more choices, so we can play around with more setups & builds/sub-build!

7 Likes

Okay, then rescale GR level harder. Happy now?

In fact I rather a full reset, change to only 6 torments level, remove 2 zeros from sets & LoD/LoN.

1 Like

There could be some power creep.

So what? Really, so what.

Why does YOUR gameplay matter more than anyone else’s?

I don’t care about group play, or the leader boards. I want my wizard back.

I am sure we will get the absurdo reduction fallacy in about 10 posts.

2 Likes

I am playing a self made Frozen orb build for speed GR & T16. Only possible due to 4th slot. Never felt more like a Wiz. I can teleport at will, spamming frozen orb from a distance.
The effectiveness peak out at GR90 (sub 3 sec GR) at my current paragon (1k+) & so so gears, but man, that was fun.

1 Like

If it was sub 3sec GR90, that would be impressive. I bet you meant 3 minutes.

The season provides an opportunity to try out the 4th cube slot for wizards. Do you have a seasonal wizard?

1 Like