The Burning Need For An Agree/Disagree Button(s)

Dear Devs,

About a year ago, the system for these forums changed, with Like and Dislike replaced by a heart button. Many serial posters rejoiced that their ideas could no longer be downvoted into being greyed-out.

However, since then, we have had a tremendous issue with endless trite posts, inaccurate strategic declarations with no supporting evidence, or outrageous demands.

What is worse, we know you folks visit these forums, and absorb fan reaction from them. This makes the white noise junk posts somewhat harmful to the community.

I propose that instead of a Like/Dislike, we simply have Agree and Disagree buttons. This way, where a post calls for changes or makes a proclamation, people can vote on its merits. On posts where no agreement is called for, there will be no downvote button, and dislikes can simply be disregarded. No longer will heavily disliked content be hidden, either.

This will allow the community to quickly interact with concern trolls without worsening the experience for new players. The serial posters complaining about this do so simply to protect their own ability to make demands without support or proof of requisite skill.

54 Likes

I would have clicked the “agree” button if there was one, lol.

17 Likes

:+1: x100

:-1: went away because it offended people. I could say more about this, but then I’d be offending people and probably get restricted, so I won’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

As there isn’t currently an Agree button, I gave you a like.

9 Likes

Oh please yes! Up/Down voting would make this forum considerably better. It really is the most democratic thing to do. Just allowing :heart: :heart: :heart: is pretty one sided.

9 Likes

OP this Bud’s for you :beer: :beer: :beer: :beers: :beers: :beers: Make a D4 forum as well.

2 Likes

Good idea. However, you are replacing good / evil with law / chaos.

Meaning… wouldn’t Agree / Disagree be the same thing as Like / Dislike?

If the devs took away said Like / Dislike because of the, well you know, then wouldn’t they end up taking away the Agree / Disagree for the same reason?

4 Likes

The benefit of the agree/disagree option is that the posts are not replied to, thus putting innaccurate information at the top of the forum, where it would be read by more people.

2 Likes

It would certainly have value.
Though it exactly encourage more “vote” type threads, which are kinda bad tbh, and also not something Blizzard want. You are supposed to say why you agree/disagree. Seeing how many random people who entered a thread, clicked on one or another button is not useful data, and it shouldn’t be used as such. You basically risk reducing the actual discussion on topics.
If agree/disagree buttons could exist alongside discussions, and avoid threads becoming polls, it would be interesting to have though. More data is always better imo, but not if it comes at the expense of better data (the discussion).

This should certainly be the case. It is a bit silly that people can spam a dislike button to hide a post. If a post is not worth a removal/ban from moderators, it should always be shown.

4 Likes

My only reason for not agreeing with you is that it removes laziness.
Simply, if something is close to a person’s passion or beliefs, then they should simply say so and why. Anyone can click a disagree button.
I believe that the reason they removed the dislike/disagree facility was because of troll packs who would automatically gang up on someone they did not like and cause their post to be greyed out.

I figure if you disagree, that’s all well and good, but saying why you disagree holds a lot more water than clicking a button. If they included the disagree with a mandatory ‘you must give a reason why’ box, then yes, that’s good.

13 Likes

Yeah, that is a good idea.

2 Likes

Yeah hold their :footprints: to the :fire:!

1 Like
  1. Clicking a like button without replying to the thread
  2. Clicking a dislike button without replying to the thread

Why is 1 okay, but 2 is lazy?

5 Likes

Requiring a post before you Like something could be useful too.

But, imo the difference is exactly, that when you only have a like button, and not like/dislike, or agree/disagree, you cant turn threads into polls. People stil try, but it is quite a bit harder.
The need to ensure that people actually respond and argue their position is stronger, if you have both of those buttons.

As these forums are not moderated, self moderation was the only tool available with the up/down vote button.

It’s a shame that so much garbage is allowed to float around here without the ability grey it out.

The removal of the up/down vote button decision was a very poor one.

1 Like

Extrapolating leans more towards dislike with human nature.
I suppose you are correct in that it could or should have either an explanation for both or neither. Generally, if you like something you are saying you agree which more often needs no explanation unless the person wishes to add something more. However, clicking dislike says more than they just disagree. They could dislike the topic, the proposal, disagree completely, dislike the person and think they’re an idiot and just decided to click dislike to be a d**k.

Like is positive. Dislike is negative. Constructive is something else. With an explanation, it requires constructive criticism, not blatant dislike. Liking something can have constructive criticism but only if they wish to add it. It’s unlikely a ‘LIKE’ will contain negativity.
Dislike requires constructiveness.

3 Likes

While this is true, one down vote won’t effect that much. If it’s a topic worth it, more people will up vote than down vote.

If a lot of people are down voting, there is probably a good reason for it. Same goes for up voting.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong either.
The current scenario has done one thing though. It means people who genuinely disagree or do not like something proposed, have to say something and more often than not, they say why. I used ‘laziness’ before because the current scenario has meant that people who are passionate feel more obligated to say why than simply clicking a button.

Why would renaming the like/dislike button to agree/disagree change anything?

1 Like

Disagreement is harder to see. This would be a snapshot.