Stop Asking For Personal Loot

Bahaha! I feel like somebody’s gotta lay down the Deckard! :rofl: As you can see, logic is a resource in short supply around here!

1 Like

Excuse me, but lol. Perhaps you are a being a bit too sensitive? And if that is your experience, then maybe - perhaps - Diablo II is simply not a game for you?

One frustrating element about this entire discussion is the prevalence of modern games utilizing the systems these ploot-proponents ask for. Why are you trying to change this piece of gaming history? It is the only of its kind. The fact that it is getting modern graphics is a miracle.

Please, could you enjoy the other modern games with the systems you like? Could you please not change this preserved relic whose beauty is the result of its form?

You may think many modern games feel empty, hollow - I do. I think it’s because they lack “blood”, or a real sense of loss and challenge. D2 has some of it, and it’s vital.

It also establishes a baseline social connection between players which would disappear if some were plooting (or should I say polluting? P’looting? Har har) and others playing reguarly.

The broader issue though - D2R is about bringing back Diablo II. If you don’t like Diablo II gameplay, please, go elsewhere? This entire project is about Diablo II. What you are suggesting is not Diablo II. There are other games, however, thankfully. For those of us who want to play Diablo II again, which is why this project exists in the first place, there are no other games to play other than Diablo II.

5 Likes

Exactly. There are TONS of alternatives that better suit your desires. Don’t ruin Diablo 2 for its dedicated fan base who love it. And changing the loot system will do exactly that.

2 Likes

couldnt agree more. it’s a remaster, not a new game. but I had some of the most fun meeting people that would properly share loot and playing with them again because of it.

there’s a lot of other diablo esque games that do personal loot (including a diablo game) so if people feel that strongly about it go play them. stop asking to so drastically change a remaster.

2 Likes

Personal loot is just scapegoat some are using for not finding items. I think they are looking for gear in very poor ways and think the geared guy in their game only got it because he beat them out on clicks.

If given personal loot these same people will be making threads daily “Drops rates MUST increase” and " Nothing good Drops"

5 Likes

Here’s an idea, if they change the game to personal loot:

Solo runs = /8 players drop rates /1 player XP rates
Each player that joins the game /-1 players drop rates… but +1 players to XP rate

So in a full game of 8 players online you actually get the drop rates of /1 players…

There… fixed… no more loot leechers and it encourages solo MF runs.

This way people who feel like others are leeching off of them, are all getting garbage drop rates.

So now the compromise is XP over Loot.

More players = More XP gained but less drop rates.
Less players = less XP but higher drop rates.

It’s all about the competitive and realistic adventuring experience. Having everyone get loot no matter what is like giving every kid in a group $5 even though one or two kids worked for it. You don’t have to work for it and you don’t have to work with other players like a team… If you don’t like somebody stealing your loot don’t play with them. Or better yet, kill them through PvP. Why is it so wrong to have a realistic aspect like this? Not everything in life is handed to you and when you still succeed it feels so much more rewarding

2 Likes

This is the magic element in D2 that apparently not enough people on the forums realize is so vital to its success.

Thanks Jackal.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I really care about Diablo 2 and I believe that even one post has influence. Even your support and opinion is appreciated. I don’t want to see Diablo 2 resurrected be ruined. This game could be amazing

1 Like

I’m not all that worried about the loot itself, but bots and hacks are a concern, and short ladder seasons.

maybe you should stop wasting time alltogether and keep on playing diablo 2 for the future aswell mate.

you do not come up with enough good arguments, so yeah this is a waste of time.

lol? We have provided direct rebuttals to every single point made in favor for personal loot. You on the other hand, have either pivoted around them , or have restated points that contradict your own argument, such as:

“shared loot is bad because it rewards players for doing nothing”
which is literally the whole premise of personal loot, and would not solve this problem.

You specifically have contributed absolutely nothing of substance to this discussion outside of anecdotal fallacies insisting that there are people who want personal loot… Stop insisting you’ve won anything, when quite frankly, all you’ve done is make yourself look weak, and demonstrate exactly what we suspected about you in the first place, which is that you are too psychologically fragile to handle the competitive aspects of Diablo 2.

Glad we found something we can agree on! This is exactly what we are doing! May I recommend Diablo 3 for you? I’m told it provides the exhilarating personal loot experience you seek. :kissing_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I think the skill mechanics are meant to be played together. For example, auras and curses could play a huge role in a multiplayer setting but are rarely used synergistically because no one wants a stranger taking your slot machine jack pots. Imagine if people actually wanted to play with other players, it would definitely change a core anti social aspect of the original game. For the better. Instead, we will all solo or hope our friends are available to kill stuff.

3 Likes

Both loot methods reward players for doing “nothing”. A leech is still a leech in either game. We can argue what loot system discourages leeching or makes leeching less rewarding. My argument is simple. In an 8 player FFA game, the leech can get 0%-100% of item drops. In personal loot 8 player game, a leecher gets on average 12.5% of item drops.

6 Likes

There are incentives and disincentives that affect human behaviour. The current system strongly disincentives groups play with strangers. D2 was never perfect, the shared loot aspect for example is the very worst aspect of the game. Ruins the multiplayer PvE experience with strangers, completely. Ultimately, it’s because of anonymity and the refusal of most people to cooperate when there are no consequences for being greedy. We have police and rules for these reasons too. Human behaviour will not change so we need systems in place to force cooperation. Make it an option and let us enjoy multiplayer PvE with strangers for the first time.

3 Likes

I think what many are trying to say to you is a “leecher” getting 100% of drops is unlikely. Extremely unlikely.

If you were trying to say only 1 or 2 quality drops fall in a game and the leecher can snatch both, I don’t see how personal loot changes that?

Over the course of many games the chance of a leecher getting loot will be 12.5% anyway, so personal loot solved nothing. The only difference you could argue here would be ranged vs melee. Your leecher points are irrelevant

The problem is the leecher can get 0%, 12.5%, 25%, 50%, !00% or any percent in between. It is a problem if the leecher are getting a disporportionate share of total drops or good drops.

In a personal loot game with 2 good drops and 8 players, there is

P(X=2)=0.015625
P(X<2)=0.984375
P(X≤2)=1
P(X>2)=0
P(X≥2)=0.015625

P(X=1)=0.21875
P(X<1)=0.765625
P(X≤1)=0.984375
P(X>1)=0.015625
P(X≥1)=0.234375

P(X=0)=0.765625
P(X<0)=0
P(X≤0)=0.765625
P(X>0)=0.234375
P(X≥0)=1

This is why it is different. Personal loot follow a probability distribution.

1 Like

Do you understand how %'s and probabilities work? The leecher would need insane skill to even get over 20% of drops if not hacking. Over 1000 games they would get 12.5% ignoring melee/ranged just like in personal loot.

Bad connection, botting, and ranged are separate issues since you are specifically speaking on leechers. There is no indication a leecher is a better clicker than anyone else.

You understand personal loot can assign the leecher both quality loot items that drop in any individual game the same way he could grab it?

1 Like

nah im good, you better stick to d2 once d2r comes aswell since that game will be superior, but maybe not for folks like you? try something new for once :slight_smile:

What part of make it an option do you not understand? You can play greed mode and I can play cooperation mode. I played D2 alot, which is precisely why I want these changes due to first hand experience of other players. Otherwise I will only play with friends or alone. Human behaviour is really the issue, not D2.

5 Likes