[StoneOld] Can't connect

Meteorblade, I wonder if you read this, and might have any ideas…

This one is strange. Started just after the patch update began, but did not finish.

I have 2 computers in the same room, each with identical Panda WiFi USB adapters. One will connect to Blizzard websites, and I can log into the Battle.net app and into the game.

On the other one, I can’t.

All other web sites on this dysfunctional computer work fine, but I cannot access any Blizzard web sites or services. Pages try to load until they time out. The Battle.net app says it can’t log in and offers to continue offline. The game itself sits at the login dialog until it too times out with an error.

But I am looking at the Blizzard website, and typing this message, and playing the patched game here on the other computer.

I have restarted the computer twice, restarted with diagnostic startup, rebooted the Internet router, and changed USB port positions on the Panda adapter. No luck.

And I can’t reinstall the Battle.net app because it stops at
“Downloading new files…”

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

Howdy StoneOld,

If only one computer is having a problem, this likely indicates something on that computer causing a problem. I would suggest starting with a DNS flush.

1 Like

Thanks. I already released and renewed the IP, flushed the DNS, rebooted the router, restarted the computer with a brand new Administrator account, and stopped all startup programs and unnecessary services. No change.

An interesting note: In loading the discussion Forum, the browser stops at
Transferring data from www.googletagmanager.com, and won’t go any farther. I get the unformatted background image, but no page content.

I have also compared the Properties of each WiFi adapter side-by-side, and they are configured identically. I have disabled the Windows Firewall on both machines, and added an exception for every Blizzard/Battle.net/Diablo executable on the computer to Windows Defender.

I also hooked that computer to my T-Mobile Hotspot WiFi connection with no change.

Very curiously, I hooked that computer to the Internet through my phone with a tethered USB connection, and I am able to access the Forum, and log into the game.

So it would seem something went wrong with my WiFi adapter, but what?

That sounds like an issue with a browser extension. Have you tried testing another browser?

I have also compared the Properties of each WiFi adapter side-by-side, and they are configured identically. I have disabled the Windows Firewall on both machines, and added an exception for every Blizzard/Battle.net/Diablo executable on the computer to Windows Defender.

I also hooked that computer to my T-Mobile Hotspot WiFi connection with no change.

Very curiously, I hooked that computer to the Internet through my phone with a tethered USB connection, and I am able to access the Forum, and log into the game.

So it would seem something went wrong with my WiFi adapter, but what?

I am now going to re-enable a normal startup and see what happens…

That definitely sounds weird but at least we’ve narrowed it down. I would suggest doing a winsock reset and disabling proxy settings.

Well, no change. Still no Blizzard on WiFi, connects normally while tethered.

I have never seen a problem like this in my 20 years of computing…

I am about 24 hours from doing a full wipe and reinstall…lol

StoneOld,

That could potentially fix it, but it’s more likely there’s something wrong with the USB adapter as you mentioned. Question. Did you try SWAPPING the adapters yet to see if the behavior transfers to the other PC?

Yes, I swapped them. I also did an IPV6 release, flush, and reset, to no avail.

StoneOld,
DId you fix the issue? I am having the same problem and I have done everything that you have done was suggested to you. I haven’t had this problem before either until this last update. I can get on European and Asian servers but not the Americas.

Just curious if you had gotten a fix yet?
Thanks
Arlo

Well, today I can log into this Forum on my WiFi connection.

But I cannot log onto any Blizzard game server on any region.

I am currently playing the game through my tethered phone Internet connection. From the 7th when this started, I have used just under a gig of mobile data, and I get 10 gigs a month, so I should be OK for now.

My next move is going to be to reinstall Windows, but I have both 32 and 64 bit versions installed on this machine, so it’s going to be a day-long process to get it running again, and a month-long process to reinstall my programs and mod the system back to the way I like it to operate, and I just don’t have the time to start that process at the moment.

I might try removing any Windows updates from the last month, and any extraneous Windows Internet features and services, to see if anything decided to interfere on those fronts.

But like I said, I have never had this problem in my 20 years of computing, and if Google Search can be relied upon, neither has anyone else.

StoneOld,

There are a couple possible points of failure here and at this point we should probably just test to see if we can find out where the breakdown is. Let’s use winMTR. It’s a pretty good way to find packet loss related breakdowns as well as the source of network instability.

Based on everything you tried, however, it’s most likely your USB wifi drivers or a hardware failure. If you reinstall everything it’d handle any software related scenario causing the issue. If that fails, it’s gotta be hardware and it might be time to factory default the router and/or replace it if that fails. It’s possible it’s just failing and can’t maintain the connection to your second computer.

If you’re still having this problem after reinstalling your windows, please create a WinMTR test which catches a disconnection. You want to restart the test every 10-15 minutes until you catch one of these problems. Once you’ve caught one red handed, run the test for about 5 more minutes. This will let us look for problems between your house and our servers which may cause this.

If you have problems with posting it due to a link error, go ahead and copy paste this into your next post, and replace “WinMTR goes here” with your test.

~~~~
WinMTR goes here
~~~~

Thanks for your reply. I am confident the router is OK; it’s a brand new Comcast Internet-only router that performs well in all other applications, and as I said, my computer also fails to connect to Blizzard game servers on my T-Mobile phone WiFi hotspot, so I would tend to suspect the Panda device drivers, or some other software interface between Blizzard and my monitor.

But I will try WinMTR as I’m curious what the output will be as I try to connect.

I’ll get back to you shortly…

StoneOld,

Never heard back from you - did you ever get this resolved or did you need more help? I know the forum flood control can sometimes be aggressive and prevent bumping posts.

Well, I finally fixed it. Or should I say, a battery of small utility programs fixed it.

When I get a problem like this, that defies repair or even understanding, I run the following three programs in the following order.

RKill (Free)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
This program finds and stops known malware program processes. It doesn’t quarantine or delete any files, it just stops the processes so that other normal malware cleaners can actually quarantine or delete them without them being locked because they’re running.

HitmanPro (Free for 30 days, $24.95)
https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us.aspx
This program cleans malware, viruses, trojans, worms, keyloggers, rootkits, trackers, spyware and more.

AdwCleaner (by Malwarebytes, Free)
https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
This program catches anything that HitmanPro misses. In addition, it has settings that you can select to reset the firewall, IPSec, BITS, IE policies, Chrome policies, Winsock, Hosts files, TCP/IP, Proxy, and to delete IFEO keys, tracing keys, and prefetch files.

I think that’s what ultimately fixed my problem, but I didn’t reset the Hosts files, because mine are highly customized. Nevertheless, I was able to log into the site, and log into the game on my normal Wi-Fi adapter, without doing anything other than using these three programs, which actually didn’t really find anything of note.

Ty for your post however, I have tried all of yours and Blizzard’s suggestions and still can’t get “battle.net” to download. I can stream movies and every other function of my computer is working fine but I can’t get Diablo to work. I believe there is a link missing between the program and my account as my heroes and their attributes will download to the Diablo page but I can not enter the game. Can anyone help since Blizzard can’t or won’t?