Spirit Barrage - Mechanics Explained

I see so many questions on this ability along with The Barber and Gazing Demise so I’m explaining it here.

Base Spirit Barrage w/ no items

• You cast Spirit Barrage and it deals damage as it hits/ticks

Spirit Barrage w/ The Barber

• You cast Spirit Barrage and it deals 0 damage as it hits/ticks.
  • Spirit Barrage now deals all damage in aoe when you stop channeling, the skill runs out or accumulate enough damage to instantly kill the mob.

Spirit Barrage w/ Gazing Demise

• Spirit Barrage now gains the Phantasm rune. 3 phantasms can be summoned at once. Each Phantasm increases the damage of Spirit Barrage and the attack rate of Manitou Spectres.

When you combine the two items this is what happens;

• You now deal 0 damage instantly. All damage accumulates on target.
  • Damage gets dealt when your Manitou changes target or gets too far away, when your Manitou or Phantasm expire, when you forcibly explode a Phantasm by casting a 4th Phantasm or when you accumulate enough damage to finally kill your target
  • Damage is dealt in AoE
  • Each active Phantasm increases your damage and Manitou attack rate.

FAQ:

• Should you continuously cast Phantasm or let it accumulate?
    Answer: As long as the mob doesn’t walk out of Phantasm range while it accumulates it literally doesn’t matter. If the mob is going to move from Phantasm range go ahead and forcibly explode the Phantasm by casting a 4th+ at the new location
  • Why did the guardian instantly die from x%?
    Answer: You accumulated enough damage to kill it.
  • Why does the boss get hurt when I channel Spirit Barrage, but not when I let it sit?
    Answer: You forcibly explode the Phantasm when you cast a 4th+ Phantasm. The boss will take damage when the Phantasm explodes early or at the 10 second mark. Both will deal the same damage over time.
13 Likes

Hey mate. Do you have any testing footage for stricken stacking with phantasm and manitou?

I can’t quite put my finger on it and haven’t got a chance to test it myself.

Good to see you enjoying WD KIn, instead of lobbying to nerf it!

So the final answer is you can either repeat cast (I dont think the spell is “channeling” technically) or just cast periodically, no difference?

Why does this build feel so squishy sometimes? Is it because everything rests on 10 Soul Harvest stacks?

Thank you for explanation. I have more questions

A) Why people run Pain Enhancer? How does it work this gem with Mundunugu’s Regalia?

B) Why in group play Monks equip Explosive Palm and are able to proc Spirit Barrage explosions?

Both questions are related to attack rate of Spirit Barrage: I used to think that if i spam 3 Phantasms and I go for the 4th, the first I summoned explodes, so the 4th Phantasm becomes the 3rd and starts channeling damage; if this is true, there should be only 3 explosions awared by full damage “per time”; then, why use Pain Enhancer? Or Monks using Explosive Palms to proc explosions that I can proc manually with the 4th Phantasm?

C) Which other class skills are able to proc Spirit Barrage Explosions?

The confusing here:
“Spirit Barrage now deals all damage in aoe when you stop channeling, the skill runs out or accumulate enough damage to instantly kill the mob”

“Channeling” normally means holding down a buttom, like f.ex Arcane Torrents as Wizard, but in this aspect, its means when your phantasm circle around your enemies, waiting to explode, but you just press buttom once, to cast them.
So time between every cast of phantasm, is “channeling”.

3 Likes

Thank you, was pissing me off cus I couldn’t figure out why the damn things wouldn’t explode, even when my hand was off the mouse not clicking or " channeling " the skill. It also explains why the guardian sometimes just randomly explodes (4th phantasm summoned).

Monk’s EP procs WD’s Pain Enhancer.
EP has nothing to do with Phantasm explosions.

It still needs a nerf to conform with Blizzard’s balancing standards lol. I just got tired of seeing multiple threads with people asking the same thing.
Hi Fathead.

That’s talking about Phantasm specifically. In the first post I’m just talking about spirit barrage no rune. That’s why I explain the specifics on the 2 main runes further down.

It’s squishy simply because it has less overall % damage reduction. Not including armor or all resists the mundu witch doctor has 84% damage reduction with 10 stack soul harvest, lakumbas and the 4piece set.

Compare that with say the new wizard set. Wizard has 96% damage reduction with Karini and 4piece set.

As such the witch doctor takes 4x the damage a wizard takes with the new build just based on damage reduction. Witch Doctor needs a defensive buff. Lakumbas should be 8% per soul harvest stack and the set should be 80%. This would make it balanced with wizard.

2 Likes

Monk’s EP makes mobs around bleed.
Bleeding mobs make WD attack speed sky-high by proc’ing PE secondary affix
Spirit Barrage major damage is from Phantasm which is pet.
Attack speed is a separate damage multiplier for pet.

3 Likes

Your explanation is kinda vague on 2 points.

1. How did you arrive at the assumption that BOTS still ramp up even with the accumulated undealt damage?

2. How can you explain high level RG suddenly losing a 3rd of its hp? Where did this damage come fron considering the gameplay is putting 3 phantasms all the time?

Thanks

Manitou rune of Spirit Barrage

I know it’s the manitou, but how does it instantly and randomly remove a third of the hp. And this happens in about 2 mins.

Manitou accumulates damage all the time.
Accumulated damage is applied in two cases:

1. You don’t cast spirit barrage for 20 seconds. Manitou expires and deals accumulated damage.
  2. Accumulated damage is enough to kill the target.
2 Likes

Thanks for the info… My friend and I both play SB but we can’t complete GRs at same level as when I play with other classes. Does 2 Mundunugu SB interfere with each other’s stacks?

1. You move out of range of Manitou’s attack.

I’m actually unsure of this tbh. If I had to guess I would say the calculation does not take the accumulated damage of another spirit barrage witch doctor into it’s formula.

When is the crit dmg applied? Does crit chance proc only on the final explosion of the accumulated dmg or it procs internally and hidden while the spirit missiles fly and accumulate dmg? I don’t see crit dmg numbers often but I have 59% cr chance.

Phantasm is a Pet. Pets do not crit (yellow number). Pets attack at a constant speed regardless of your attack speed. BUT items such as T&T does make em attack faster.

Pet’s damage are based off of your weapon, crit chance, crit damage, attack speed and all the bells and whistles (gems, skill buffs… etc) and then show it as white damage.

That is completely untrue. All pets can crit, and their attack speed is influenced by your attack speed. They hit yellow and orange numbers. There’s ton’s of videos to illustrate this (including WD pets, necro pets, wiz hydras etc).

Diablo 3 S18 WD Helltooth Restless Giants GR Solo Build 2.6.6 - YouTube go to 8:50m in the video and you will see dogs & gargs doing chains of crits and high-end crits (orange numbers) this is Bigdaddy showcasing helltooth set in action.

2 Likes