So, uh, what am I doing wrong with Zolton Kulle?

drop the difficulty if you can’t handle torment yet. You shouldn’t try torment 1 before you have BiS yellow gear tbh

This game’s difficulty isn’t balanced towards skill tbh. They just make the numbers bigger.

Why not to craft weapon at blascksmith - craft something with lvl70, then reroll the secondary mod on it for lvl reduction. Bam, you have lvl70 weapon with like 2-3 times dps.

I’m not going to say “OP is doing it wrong” because of the situation he is in, but I will agree that the game was rebalanced over the years to the point that L67 fighting ZK without a reduced level weapon hasn’t been on the designers radar for many years now. That doesn’t mean that wanting to face that challenge is “wrong”, it’s just going outside the current design focus/criteria of the developers.

And “different approaches” can be fun and their own challenge at the same time. In days gone by I’ve done the “Hardcore Glass Cannon challenge” and had a lot of fun doing it. Did the designers specifically add that as a mode when they designed the game? No. Was it easy? No. Did it make good use of the game mechanics? No. Was it fun? Heck, yeah!

When the game started, story mode progression from 1-60 was a bigger deal and required a lot more effort and was reasonably well balanced compared to 1-70 balancing in the current state of the game design. The game is pretty much designed to get that 1-70 out of the way these days and most of the changes happened prior to or with the advent of the extra 10 levels 61-70 (which is also probably the reason why those levels are the ugly stepchild of the current (non)standard progression).

It’s popular to want to get to end game these days, but that doesn’t mean it is the only way to play, or even the only “smart” way to play. If the OP gets bored with what they are doing, they can always adopt the common “here is how to get leveling out of the way” techniques later. If you want to explain how the game is designed and let them decide that’s great, but phrases like “the only way to” or “the designers want you to” or “you’re stupid if you” don’t belong in this conversation (or, really, any conversation).

But, none of that says that it is inappropriate to want to do story mode, or a self-found progression of a new character, or work on one leveling effort for each class before moving on to the end game activities that the developers have been giving more attention to. While I feel that I didn’t do a good job of characterizing what the OP was looking for in my previous message, it is pretty clear that “getting 1-70 out of the way to get to end game” isn’t really what they are focusing on right now.

Also, the game doesn’t completely flatten out after L70. There are no more skills to (l)earn, and you gain power in a different way (paragon), but monster power has a huge scale after that by playing with difficulty level and Greater Rift level pushing. The difficulty curve is just measured and managed differently after L70.

I start my characters on Torment 1 and drop only when necessary.

But I won’t sneer at people playing on easy all the time. :wink:

Then why are you complaining about that damage?

Under normal circumstances (master difficulty for example) those leaps shouldn’t take more than 35~40% of your health. That’s how the fight was designed to be tackled. You raised the numbers on purpose and overtuned the boss

Is a question, not a complaint.

Before I started playing Seasonal, Zoltan Kulle was most certainly the toughest Boss Fight for me (I played Witch Doctor). I thought I was pretty powerful at that point, handling most Elites fairly well, and so going into the fight with Kulle, I thought I would do equally well…

All did go well, at first. I was staying alive, his guardians were defeated, and his life was dwindling. Then out of nowhere he teleports on top of me and WHACK, he takes away 90% of my health in one hit. Before my Zombie Dogs had a chance to heal me, WHACK, Kulle hits me again, killing me, but with my Spirit Vessel keeping me alive. But not too long after that, though, WHACK again, and with that I was dead.

I tried a few more times, but realized, to my sorrow, I was not powerful enough to defeat him, yet. There was no way to avoid his attack, and it did too much damage.

I ended up having to go back a bit and build myself up more, finding better gear before trying him again. What worked for me (I never knew his big damage teleport/attack was on a timer), was getting my defense high enough and my life per hit high enough to where I could recover from his attack without dying, and then I could just wear him down. Not sure if that would work for the OP, but that is how I did it.

I think many of the people here have played Seasonal so much that they have forgotten what Campaign Mode is like (many may have never played it at all). Drop Rate is so so so much lower in Campaign Mode, compared to Bounties, Neph Rifts, and Greater Rifts. I played almost the first four Acts with only getting a 2-piece partial set, and not even getting 4 pieces of any set… So, to suggest to him that his setup is wrong, or his build is wrong, it isn’t! He only has the gear that has dropped for him, which is far less than what he would get with seasonal. He might be lucky to only have 3 or 4 legendaries, and not even 2 pieces of a single set!

So, whatever answers any of you might give, try to keep in mind the very limited selection of items he probably has.

Personally, I disagree with most of the replies I have read. I don’t think doing bigger damage is going to get you victory over Kulle. I think the answer is better defense and Life per Hit, so that you can survive and recover from KUlle’s Teleport Attack, and be able to keep wearing him down.

Maybe use Frenzy while wielding 2 weapons and see if you can get some items with a lot of Life per Hit in them to boost up your recovery. I am not sure whether Kulle has a visual animation right before he teleports, but if he does, how about trying to time your Ignore Pain right before he uses it? Keep a good purple gem in your socketed helm, and have good defensive Passive Skills turned on. And your selection of items may be limited, but you can still make sure to keep the ones you do have optimized with the Enchantress. But. if you have already done all of these things, then you may have to do what I did, which was to go back and replay areas you’ve already done in order to get better items. I certainly like these types of ideas better than dummying down the difficulty setting just so you can get past him…

Good luck and have fun!

You guys are over complicating this thing.

He plays Barbarian. The cheerleader class. This is the root of the problem.

-_-

This is a brand new way of missing the point :stuck_out_tongue:

If your dying to Zolton Kulle on Torment 1, I’d what your level is? If it isn’t 70, that maybe Torment 1 isn’t the difficulty you should be on. You can lower it. Without paragon levels, a Hellfire ring or amulet, or a level 70 Ancient weapon socketed with a Gem of Ease; I’d suggest you stay off of Torment difficulties.
If you ARE level 70, torment 1 seems like the appropriate difficulty to be and I’d wonder about your gear. Everything should be a level 70 rare item at LEAST and it wouldn’t be difficult to get that with the blacksmith alone. If you have this and your still dying, maybe your items don’t have good stats. You’ll want a healthy amount of vitality. I find that dying easy is often attributed to having insufficient max health.
Aim for a minimum of 500 000 and a high of 1 000 000.

At 67 you are unlikely to have a socket on your weapon, perhaps adding one and either emerald or plus damage gem to help avoid the timer?

Your mistake is trying to kill him, team up with Kulle and rule the world instead.

2 Likes

I just deleted my old Crusader and started over. Pretty much everything is socketed?