So, uh, what am I doing wrong with Zolton Kulle?

I’m playing through as a barbarian, after leaving the game along for like 2 years, on Torment 1. After a couple minutes into his boss fight, Kulle just starts constantly teleporting on top of me doing 80% damage with no attack until I die.

What’s going on with that?

2 Likes

Please notice he like to drop things from above, you have to move and then attack and move and attack. You cannot stand in place and play in that manner.

2 Likes

You’re probably not noticing the debris falling on your big head lol.

2 Likes

That’s not it. He’s not casting that cave-in thing, and it doesn’t do this much damage at once. It’s tied to his teleport. He can teleport on me, do ~80% damage, I can Leap away, he’ll teleport again as soon as I land, trigger Nerves of Steel, I’ll move away again, and he’ll teleport and kill me. This all happens in a few seconds, and some of his teleports are right on top of each other, and there’s no animation with any of his other spells, including cave-in.

So unless he’s casting instant-damage, invisible cave-ins with no cast time, that’s not the issue.

2 Likes

If you think his tp dmg is bad, wait till you get Perdition in a gr.

7 Likes

There’s your problem right there. If ZK battle is taking more than 30 seconds you are undergeared for that difficulty level or using the wrong build entirely. What skills are you using? Are you level 70 or still on the way to 70? If you recently hit level 70, is your gear ALL level 70 and at least crafted rares (unless you have a useful piece with a good legendary power)? Do you have Kanai’s Cube and a useful power in every slot of the cube?

Zolton Kulle is one of the easiest bosses in the game. Level 1 characters routinely kill him on Master difficulty, naked, armed only with the follower weapon at the season start.

5 Likes

This is a first-time runthrough currently level 67 in the SP gamemode. It’s not a seasonal character. I haven’t hit a wall until now.

I don’t believe this.

5 Likes

Doesn’t ZK still have an enrage timer? After messing with him for a certain amount of time (3 min?) he becomes enraged and you are toast.

1 Like

Are we talking like, “Plantera out of the jungle enraged” 100% screwed, or “Harder but generally survivable”?

1 Like

But it’s actually true, u’re just a casual player that has no idea of what is going on in the game.
I don’t even know why are you makin a topic because u can’t even kill zoltun kulle in Torment 1…

4 Likes

This is another reason why not being able to view posters profile, is bad Blizzard.

We could easily look at OP’s hero profile and tell him how to better himself.

3 Likes

What kind of a pick me must you be to trash talk people on public forums about their skills as a new player ? Dont you have clan mates to brag with by now ?

3 Likes

I didn’t trashtalk anyone.
He said he does not believe what the other guy said… which was completly true.
Therefore i told him he’s just a casual player that have no clue about what’s going on in D3. Which also, is completly true.

4 Likes

Not sure what the issue is, don’t most players one shot Kulle?

1 Like

Level 67 is right in the meat of a drought in terms of new equipment. There are L61 weapons and then the next big jump in weapon power is L70. So at L67 the monsters have gained 6 levels of power on your weapon. Whenever I do a season progression the high 60s are a slog and there are some things I have to back off on, or lower the difficulty.

It is actually true that ZK on Master at L1 is a good way to start a season, but that is because all opponents level with you so ZK at L1 is actually pretty easy compared to the gearing of the characters, especially when you grab the L1 weapon from a follower (you can only do that in Adventure mode because the followers aren’t available at L1 in story mode). Come back at L67 and it is a different story. But, if you are running on the lowest difficulty setting you should still be able to kill ZK at L67 well before his enrage timer kicks off.

Some suggestions:

• Lower difficulty until you cross the L70 hurdle
  • If you have the Blacksmith leveled all the way (L12?) then you can craft a L70 weapon. It has a small chance to roll with reduced level requirement, but if you know what you are doing, you can also use the Mystic to get the reduced level as well.
  • Just farm an easier map to get you through the “late 60s level” hurdle and come back at ZK with a L70 weapon when you are L70.

Here are some links to guides on rolling a reduced level weapon (though at L67 it might be better to just grind your way to L70 since understanding this process and actually doing it with limited resources might take longer than the grind would and you might fail to get such a weapon anyway depending on luck):

Note that L40 would have been the time to start crafting the L70 weapon since it can roll with -30 level requirement so you can end up using a L70 weapon at L40 (allowing you to raise the difficulty level through the roof and get a massive boost in experience). This isn’t possible on your first run through normally because you’d need a Death’s Breath to raise the blacksmith to L12 and you don’t get those until L61, but if you do a Challenge Mode rift (available to anyone as a game mode even when they are just starting off), then you can get some Death Breaths as a reward for the Challenge rift, use them to raise the Blacksmith, and craft an L70 weapon before you reach L61. That would require some skill at handling the Challenge Rifts, though, so it might prove difficult when you are just learning the game.

5 Likes

If they are, they aren’t playing at a high enough difficulty and/or at the point where they’re just farming him.

1 Like

It is one of the ways to start a new season. Once the season starts, you set to Master difficulty and hope for Magdha or Zolton Kulle bounty (ZK is better since there are no enemies on the path to the boss fight. You equip your follower weapon (or 2 if monk) and go to that bounty boss fight. It usually takes about 30 seconds or so, naked, with a weapon or two only, and the Diabolic cache from a bounty boss on Master has several rares and you get enough XP to get to level 3 usually. Then you drol to Hard difficulty and either run rifts or Massacre bonus farming (WD reign supreme at that method).

1 Like

Then the rules and stats for seasonal characters are different from normal play and offer me no value.

Edit: Actually, wait a minute. Don’t the enemy values scale with clvl and difficulty? If you’re going in with a crafted weapon at level 1 plus follower, at a lower difficulty, any boss that doesn’t have invul animations should be easy.

Good point. Most of this talk about ZK at Master on L1 is using Adventure Mode. That mode is unlocked for you if you are doing a Season character, but if you are running through non-season then you have to complete the Campaign story first to get access to Adventure Mode.

1 Like

You are not getting it man…
Hack n Slash games are always stats/gear checks.
If u die at somethings, either u’re doing smth wrong with the boss strategy. Either u’re not enough geared/leveled.

So just lowers difficulty. Or just farm the game and come back to it later…
Nowadays, all is given in D3, idk how can you be struggling. w/e

1 Like