So D4 is going to have a battle pass

They said up front there would be MTX, but nothing that gave items/power. Limited to cosmetic and such.

I am not remotely shocked about this, if the “leak” is true.

As long as they stay with cosmetics then that is fine. Although, for a game I pay for I expect some of those to be obtainable through normal gameplay.

15 Likes

I am not against cosmetics MTX by principle, but unfortunately lots of them are often outlandish materials, researches and 3d tests that did not meet the initial art style release of the game.

Seeing wings, armors with fins and foils does not make any sense at all for me. It could be reasons why many people don’t want an open world too.

It’s not just in the game industry, every company and manufacturer try to sell their subpar productions or leftovers. They usually use them into other games/franchise or other lines of products.
I just hope their MTX keep the highest hand-made quality and usability. And that the MTX shop remains under the authority of the Art direction.

By the way, we still don’t know how items will look in the inventory. Items and MTX should not be 2D products cards, they are 3d items subjected to light, with weight in the sounds. I hope they don’t design the user interface of D4 withthe HTML Shopping experience in mind, with items imprisoned in a colored box.

https://i.ibb.co/P5BXpwZ/d2-critiques-09.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/HFY5Wxx/d2-critiques-06.jpg

2 Likes

If i want to support the game further, i’m not going to use both. I either use the shop, or the pass. Theres no need for both, it’s just suspicious, that they might sell something other than cosmetics through the battle pass.

2 Likes

weelllllll i don’t know what blue thinks about that but i still think there should be at least some reason to go into the fields of hatred for example.

it’s probably a thing of like…there are season passes for DLCs in other games
if you know you want it all you will buy the season pass. obviously that’s a different subject since DLCs include a lot of gameplay and content

but some people just want the free experience and then from time to time pick something they like

in elder scrolls online you could be a subscriber or not but as a non sub you could still buy crowns and buy something if you felt like it
as a sub you get crowns automatically every month to buy stuff
as well as access to all DLCs etc.

so with D4 it might be something like you will get ALL the cosmetics if you have the battle pass

1 Like

I assume there might be some mediocre ones obtainable by achivementes or quest rewards or somethin else, but the nicer ones are going to shopable only

1 Like

Of course you will, tell us something we do not know.

5 Likes

That’s something i can get behind.

This would be the “right” (relatively speaking) non-predatory way to do it for sure. Battle pass for a bunch of cosmetics, but you can also buy them individually.
Then also dont have an expiration date on the battle passes. If someone want to buy the battle pass from a year ago, let them.

2 Likes

his real name is Clarence

and we all have that unpleasent thought in the back of our heads that it won’t work like that :v

1 Like

Why are we even entertaining the idea!? See this is how they get us, they leak it and now we’re discussing the least way it would annoy us which they will probably make it worse than that just to see what they can get away with! We’re screwed.

2 Likes

If we can just purchase our cosmetic what will that do to the cosmetics in the Fields of Hatred. Will the game be overrun with cosmetics now. What incentive will people have for doing the FoH if they can just purchase everything?

they wont sell cosmetics that you can earn. they’ll have a dev team specifically for creating cosmetics, and then the team lead will pick the best looking sets from the recently created sets and add them to the store while the unpicked sets go to the game rewards system to be earned.

this is the exact reason why selling cosmetics turns games into a pile of ship. Not only do you have to buy the good looking sets, but dedicating paid staff to create store items takes away from having more paid staff to actually make the game fun.

3 Likes

Pay2win is infinitely worse.

I’m not. As long as there’s no way to buy power, it’s fine. They can throw as many ways to buy cosmetics in the game as they like. I’ll definitely complain if the things in the main game are always terrible by comparison, but even then…

I’m not buying D4 to collect outfits. Would I occasionally buy something? Yeah, sure, like I do in Overwatch. But I never feel compelled to do it.

Looks good and promising… Not sure who they send the surveys to but at least looks like they’re legit about it :slight_smile:

Now, the thing with the Cosmetics is that usually patience is key, i.e. buying stuff earlier and then later cooler ones appear, happened with HotS that much was certain

Yes, as the dude in the video said, FOMO is their strategy, but it’s a good thing that there’s no P2W in sight tbh :slight_smile:

It is not clickbait.

The solution is very simple and very easy to implement - abandon D4 in droves.

It all depends on how things turn out for me. I hope everything is fully transparent before release.

The problem with Battle Pass is that it looks like cheap crap built into the game — at least that is how it looked in DI.

Personally… i don’t want to see a shop in the game, or some separate currency. It is UGLY. Just charge me more money for the game. I’ll pay triple for a premium experience to avoid marketing laced junk presentation.

Do you hear me? I’ll pay more for PREMIUM.

6 Likes