Slow load times - Inventory

Do the corresponding criss-cross half of the test too, i.e. get your wife to log into Diablo III on your computer and see if the slow loading times follow her account to your mac.

Hereā€™s the work around, this works 100% of the time for me.

Options > change Texture Quality. done.

it seems that refreshing texture quality works but you need to do it EVERY TIME you enter a new game. high to low, low to high, or do what i do and change it from high to low and cancel back to high. this refresh works without fail for me. hope this helps.

4 Likes

Works like a charm, playing barb and the texture toggle did what you said. This using MacOS 11.3 beta 6. Thanks.

Please check the observation of toggling textures High to low than cancel on the Mac client per Meerkat

I am sure that thereā€™s other issues at hand maybe due to this ā€¦ because the macOS version was a bit more stable overall last year.

Hereā€™s the work around, this works 100% of the time for me.

Options > change Texture Quality. done.

Beautiful solution. Definitely something screwy going on with the Texture Quality option. I had it on ā€œLowā€. After changing it to ā€œHighā€ my inventory responds flawlessly.

MacOS version 11.2.1

Just adding my voice to this; also have the same issue and the workaround proposed by user Meerkat is doing the job.

MacOS 11.2.3

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
1 Like

We found something interesting. Two player game, and for a long time the clan leader would take a random amount of time entering a new level in a rift, sometimes as long as a half minute, to appear. After doing the texture change trick, the player now appears at the same exact time, about two seconds. The appearance delay and the stash populate times are suspiciously similar.

Clan leader has an ancient laptop that hasnā€™t had an OS upgrade for two name revisions, and I have a new M1 Mac mini.

1 Like

Would putting the game on an external non apfs drive fix this issue?

No, it wonā€™t help. I have been having this issue for like two years now, at first on my primary APFS partition (internal). Like you did, I thought that maybe moving the game files to a non APFS partition would have made things better. Now everything is on an external Thunderbolt SSD drive, NTFS partitioned: no improvements whatsoever. At this point, Iā€™m beginning to think that APFS isnā€™t involved, after all.

2 Likes

So youā€™re running the game in boot camp? Apple cannot write to NTFS drives. It canā€™t even format the drive as NTFS. HFS+ will stall some of the issues with CASC, as will NTFS in Windows, but APFS is definitely an additional layer of slowdowns due to how it handles extents nodes and modifications to files (it can take as little as three or four patch cycles to modify game files enough times that the loading slows down by a visibly noticeable amount).

Since the PTR had this issue and Iā€™m not using APFS at all, this specific issue does seem to be potentially CASC related. My PTR was updated from a previous version, not wiped and freshly installed like I normally do, which meant my D3 files were fragmented like crazy. The live version, which I did do a fresh install on after 2.7 landed, does not have the loading issues (yet).

The other factor is that this issue is exacerbated in Mojave and later, which have GPU drivers that just barely support OpenGL, which is the API this game uses. OpenGL hasnā€™t been updated by Apple in eleven years and sadly because modern drivers are focused on Metal performance, any OpenGL games, including older emulators, are going to suffer noticeably on more modern operating systems. Thatā€™s why OpenEmu went Metal and now requires a minimum of 10.14.4.

Apple support is a mess right now for every Blizzard game. Between the bugs that will never get fixed because Apple flat out abandons its OS versions on a yearly basis and Appleā€™s lackluster, to say the least, assistance with developers, I wouldnā€™t expect a fix anytime soon.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having the same issues as most people describe above. Changing my graphics does temporarily fix the issue but I will get the
issue in the same game session over time. I am also running windows 10 and not on a Mac. I was having issues with freezing as well so I thought it may have been on my end. So I just spent almost 200 dollars for a new nvme ssd and figured that would solve the issues and to my dismay Iā€™m still having them. Looks like I may just have to hang up the hat on D3 and go back to playing PoD or Project d2.

Blizzard sucks, this thread is almost a year old and no fix.

@TheTias you can write to ntfs partitions. Not officially supported, but there are drivers for that.

I too am having this issue. Decided to start playing on my Mac, a late 2015 iMac 27 5K with 32GB Ram, the hybrid drive, and the R9 M395 2GB. Was fine for the first week, but then started to have this issue. Will try the change of graphical settings to see if it fixes, although is annoying that apparently this has been going for years (but Apple also doesnā€™t make it simple).

I have had the same problem for over a year on my MBP 13in, early 2015 (APFS). I have not played much in 2021 because of this, but I decided to give it another try. I also just updated to Mojave a few days ago, so I thought that might help :laughing:.

Last summer I tried fiddling with the quality settings as described. It didnā€™t seem to help, at least not long term, but I wasnā€™t repeating it for every game either. I just deleted my data folder, and the new files are downloading. Perhaps that will help.

Notably, the problem is less severe on my wifeā€™s computer, 27" iMac, late 2013, with HFS+ file system. This system is not much used for D3, which does support file system fragmentation as a cause.

You need third party paid software for that. It does not come with the OS. Appleā€™s OS can read, but not write to NTFS partitions on its own.

Updates:

• The deletion and re-download of the Data folder did not make much difference.
  • Indeed, the problem does not seem to occur in The Hidden Camp of Act 2 at all.
  • This workaround does work consistently, although itā€™s cumbersome:
  1. Enter a game and immediately go to video options (ESC / Options / Video)
  2. Select the Texture Quality popup and change it (in my case from High to Low)
  3. Click on Apply and wait for the confirmation dialog to appear. Then click Cancel in that.
  4. Get out of the Options dialog (ESC ESC works, but Accept ESC also works)
  5. Problem solved for the duration of that particular game, but it will be back as soon as you enter a different one.

The problem is somewhat worse (or gets worse more quickly) in multiplayer, but staying in Act 2 or using the workaround above works consistently for me.

Dan

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m a new player last month on MacOS and was building a Crusader (rift 80), in my case, the problem never happen until I bought 2 additional stash to save more equipments this weekend, so I doubt this problem is related to how many items I have in total.

I can confirm the solution of ā€œTexture Qualityā€ does work, and Act 2 is better if donā€™t do anything. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I just start playing Diablo 3 about two weeks ago. I think Iā€™m done with doing the hackintosh and was thinking about the mac mini. How is game performance on this?

1 Like

The bug is still in latest PTR

1 Like

It isnā€™t just in the latest PTR, itā€™s really in the latest PTR. I duno why itā€™s so bad, but it isnā€™t an OS specific thing on the macOS side. It happens in every version of macOS. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s inadequacies in OpenGL or if itā€™s just really bad code at this point. It kind of feels like D3 is barely hanging on by a thread on the Mac side.

2 Likes