Simple DPS Fix for Barbs and Monks

i’d prefer the ring to be as follows: epi runs all time long and has the effect of every rune abd the fire rune will be replaced by dmg buff of x% multiplicative where x is what you need. this would mean 50% dmg reduction on r6 gen and on wol builds orotz wouldn’t be mandatory.
i play wol builds a real long time even when r6 was way stronger and i feel like it is a 2h build so this needs a good amount of buff. the problem is you need three wpns (torch, kyo and rabid / vangeful depending on your set of choice). additional you would miss one caldesan, 13/12 dmg for lon and all the buffs you can get (usually you would like to run with ad and cdr on both wpns and rcr or loh and you never get those numbers with a 2h wpn).
ltk needs a huge buff though, removing the 5-7 monster get add dmg would be only one peace needed. ltk and gen are similar and both squishy as hell. you would need a def buff for both (which you’d only get for gen with above ring since ltk uses epi all time long with orotz right now). it crys for another wpn that replaces fd dng wise but it is not easy. and another thing why sorc (chant vyr) is so strong is the buff possibility with bh and archon stacks + massive amounts of striken stacks. seems like epi also would need some buff per strike which would be awesome for ltk but not for wol (esp. not for 2h version).
tr is a build i only used to play t13/16 speed sage. for pushing gr the swk set simply is to weak. dmg wise an other buff item is needed but hell why not increase the number of that daibo and adding more runes to it.
u6 i did try in grps, it does nice amount of dmg but without unity it is too bad def wise and dmg on a boss is just a joke.

Sorry not gonna happen although I wish it could.

3 Likes

Ehh, I think you’re reading into things a bit too much. Consider what has happened this patch:

• New affixes added to existing items
  • New item created

What does this entail?

Additional coding and new art assets. This indicates it’s very realistic to think they will continue taking old items and putting new affixes on them. It also indicates that entirely new items with brand new (or new to us) art assets and affixes are not out of the question.

In other words, it’s very realistic to think Barbs will get some of what we want from the proposal, including List 2 items.

It’s not, however, realistic to think we’ll get all of them, or maybe even most of them. That is how I read Nev’s statements, and I hope her upcoming blog post will clarify things.

It’s important to note that since D3 is in the hands of the CG team, it’s likely that patches are planned months and months in advance to expedite workflow. I would be willing to bet that by the time we went live with our proposal, 2.6.6 had already been planned and was put into action. In fact, Rage and I discussed this when trying to decide when to release the proposal, but it seems we misjudged and should have released it earlier.

Either way, 2.6.6 is, if disappointing to Barbs, a good sign in terms of development. You don’t whip up whole new code strings and art assets for items if the game is shelved. Just my speculation.

1 Like

I hope you are right. My interpretation was more cynical. I can envision 3 scenarios:

1. The developers invest more in the game. I figure that this could be justified if they realized that the time to develop and announce D4 is longer than expected and they want to keep people playing until that time.

2. Status quo.

3. The game is moving more towards maintenance mode as development for D4 is progressing and D4 will be announced soon. Needless to say, Nev won’t announce D4 but this is part of the reason besides the game being many years old.

Of these possibilities, I think that option 3 is most likely. If it was option 2, there would be little need for a blog post. If you moderate your expectations, you are less likely to be disappointed. I may be wrong about Nev’s future post.

1 Like

Thing is, if they were done developing content from D3, Nev would never have been cleared to say, “We aren’t done yet.” They wouldn’t create the Dreams gem and new affixes for a game that’s done.

And considering this patch’s content, I think it’s more than fair to say that there’s going to be additional D3 content coming–potentially quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if Barbs do get some buffed items in the next patch or the one after that.

Of course, it’s important to remember that the CG team works on multiple games at once, so I suspect that going forward, each patch will dole out a handful of items akin to what we saw with 2.6.6,

They are not going to say that they are done. Also, Nev admitted that she needs to get a lot of approvals for the blog post. Presumably, they are massaging her words for corporate speak.

Some facts should not be ignored.

1. We had 3 season that were essentially identical in content.
  2. They have started to recycle seasonal rewards
  3. They do not have the manpower to recolor wings that are preexisting including possible ones from China
  4. Etc…

I know that they did introduce new items this patch and that CG has taken over. If the introduction of a few items is representative of upcoming patches, at most there will be 1 or 2 class-specific items per patch.

This thread is getting wearisome to me. I can’t convince you or others nor can you convince me that your suggestions will happen en masse in a timely manner. Frankly, there are issues with my solution as pointed out. Because of feedback, I have created a new thread with what I perceive as a better solution.

4 Likes

Monk hit the GR100 limit solo with the zdps EP monk, before it got a slap down. I’d say which ever class hits the GR 150 limit solo, will proably be next. Most likely a wiz. Zdps wiz anyone?

Now if only computer programming was really that easy

1 Like

I mean, I feel like it is…

Barbarians need 10 GR levels? They need 2x × 2x damage… go into some items and change some numbers. BK Swords increase damage 0%? Now they increase damage 100%. Lut Socks increase damage 0%? Now they increase damage 100%.

Bada bing, bada boom, you got a new 2x multiplier and another 2x multiplier.

completely hypothetical example, principle remains the same though

1 Like

Agreed on this.

But it seems they recognize this lack of update for barb and they will see it on the future (it has been more than years they know it - maybe more two years they fix it lol).

I get the idea. however. I disagree with the direction you put this in…
IMO:
Beacon of Ytar passive reduces the cooldowns by 20% (standard) and also 1 second for every critical hit.
Like a built in OBSIDIAN RING OF THE ZODIAC but only on crits.

The Mortick’s Bracer’s change is just terrible, as is the Beacon change. Would be better off just increasing the skill damage of EVERY Barb and Monk skill baseline.

The main issue with Barb and Monk is that if you buff them just slightly too much, suddenly you get 3x monk/1x barb, or 3xbarb/1x monk comps, taking not only the support, but the RGK AND trash clear spots.

1 Like

Depending on the engine and language used, it CAN be just as simple as finding the item used in question and then modifying it.

However, given how old the D3 engine is, AND the issues they had with stash tabs… I doubt it’ll be that easy.

Don’t bite on this.
This is bad overall.
You would be forced to use these items in order to get the damage.
People have already written great examples to fix Barbarians.
This is not one of them.

1 Like

All optimal meta builds require the use of specific items either equipped or in the cube. There is no item diversity.

Nev already said that the “great” barbarian fix would never be implemented as is and that it was an unreasonable request. A simpler solution is needed. Barbs asked for Morticks repeatedly and they finally got it. As Free said, it is a lateral buff. We need the witch doctor patch 2.6.5 treatment that really buffed a build. This is the best that we can hope for.

5 Likes

She has never said that.

See our proposal.

This is not exactly true.

Casual players asked for the item without understanding that it dates from 2.2.0 and is of little value. Experienced Barb experts knew better; we clearly stated that Mortick’s is only valuable when combined with other, substantial buffs.

Please double check your facts before you post.

5 Likes

She only said they’re not done with Barbarians. Never implied anything of that sort where they’re incapable of fixing it.

15+ year software architect engineer here. Yes, updating the set bonuses is easy as they likely just some constants somewhere.

2 Likes

Haha, if anyone would do it, the forum would almost have no threads and posts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiling_imp:

Hire Pickes Jr to address barb and monk stuff for us. They don’t have time to. So Pickles could be addressed to focus more on class changes. Let’s do it. For a better tomorrow.

1 Like