Should Immunities be toned down?

This is too big of a change for the remaster. This is far beyond cow king requests. This changes the fundamental experience.

7 Likes

A change for the better in my opinion. Bad game design. Why does a bone Necro and a primary physical damage class have such a advantage over a Ice Sorc or Poison Necro for soloing?

If we have to keep immunities then every class needs a way to break them either thorugh items or skills.

Just because it is a old game that doesn’t make it “immune” to gameplay changes for the better. No better opportunity for balance changes now - or post release.

7 Likes

I understand why some would consider immunities un-fun, but there are way to many viable builds that function relatively well around them as is.

As many have pointed out removing them or impacting them in any substantial way would have huge unintended consequences.

ALL builds built around elements will have a significant boost in power and with classes like the Sorc that could get out of control. Almost everything in the game will have to be tuned around this change. You will in many ways be playing a new game if you change immunities drastically.

As “un-fun” as people are claiming immunities are, no evidence supports this is as a general or compelling opinion. This game is being brought back after 20 years and you find many players, including myself who say they still enjoy playing the game in its original form to this day. I would say immunities became a somewhat core concept to the game.

Yes, many games evolved past what we see in D2, but many fans of D2 say a lot of those evolutions make those games worse. Its the reason they are asking for this game in particular.

4 Likes

Every class being able to break immunities is what I want.

I don’t want to bring immunities down to 0, but bein able to bring 105 down to 90 without gg items like infinity would go a LONG way towards playability

7 Likes

You aren’t wrong, but it’s the slippery slope. If you change something so fundamental, it changes the game. Thus, it breaks the design philosophy of the remaster.

Now, I am of the opinion, they have the option for people to opt into “post launch updates” that balance and update the game for 2021 competitive play. This will probably never happen, but if it did, this is the type of change that would be included.

2 Likes

This is something I could get behind.

Launch the game and let people select the version they want to play on. 1.0 can be strictly for the Purists who want Diablo 2 as it was 20 years ago. 1.1 could introduce more QoL improvements. 1.2 could introduce balancing and updates to bring the game more in line with modern games.

2 Likes

My issue with that would be fracturing the playerbase. The purists still have the original D2 if they would like to pay that, which I imagine a few will. Then you would have D2R be split between updated and not. people playing what Im calling 1.15 (d2r on 1.14d) wouldn’t be able to play with those on 1.14d or 1.09 etc.

I see being able to break immunities just to the point of you can damage them but really you still hve to rely on your merc as being a playability change, not a fundamental change. The design as it stands is to throw impossibilities at you to force you into a playstyle, either play in groups with lower resists or just play a different character.

Adding a shared stash is a fundamental change to the core of the game moreso than not needing a gg runeword just to get through act 2 as a cold sorc. (side note everything in A2 hell being cold immune never made sense to me, you are in a hot desert why is everything so acclimated to the cold that it isn’t damaged by it?)

Just my 2 cents, I’m not a dev just a 2 decade fan that would like to see some things be brought into the current times.

1 Like

I don’t think fracturing the player base matters.

Purists don’t want to lose people to play with. They will inevitably lose those players regardless. Either to a lack of interest, frustration, or other feeling/problem.

The difference with stashes is, all players had a work around for it already. We used mules… It was already exploited/fixed/over with. The devs just made it official.

Again though, I am not a purist though, so I’d personally like some balance changes and post launch support to keep the game fresh for 2021 standards, but give us the ability to game with others as we used to.

1 Like

Well, they could always make it so that you could take any character into any version. So let’s say you’re in V1.0 with a powerful runeword that got nerfed in 1.4. You go into 1.4. That runeword armor is nerfed. You go back to 1.0 and it’s back to being OP.

Where this would run into trouble would be stuff like Gem stacking, but if they could enable version exclusive stashes, that could be a work around. So you have a stash for 1.0 and 1.4. You go to 1.0 for a bit to play with friends, all your runes and gems are now in your 1.4 Stash which isn’t accessible in 1.0. If you want them to show up in 1.0, you need to go back to 1.4, and then place them in your stash in stacks of 1.

just to add to my post before. I am okay with them changing things for future ladders or updates. I find it odd people would want some of these crazy changes in the first iteration of the game.

Stash/stackables I get, but to re-do the immunity concept of the game at launch seems like an extreme request to me.

No, definitely not. It’s what makes Hell mode what it is.

2 Likes

Would make end game too easy once you get negative res.

1 Like

short answer: no
long answer: nope

6 Likes

I think they were fine; and I say that as a solo Sorc (you know, the one class that was most affected by immunities).

I think he wants to break Immunity with just Lower resist charged wands.
And I Disagrees.

These armchair game designers are just popping out of the woodwork, but sadly always with bad suggestions.

Nerfing monster immunities is a big no!

Its called RNG and its part of D2, you skip immune monsters you cant kill, you are not supposed to easily zoom trough monters in this game like D3 or PoE, maybe when you reach the very end game gear, but that takes time and its a good thing.

Thats also huge part of the game when its comes to choice making, do i make a cold sorc or lightning sorc etc, you cant have it all.

2 Likes

This has always been a fun part of the game for me.
Playing Barb, feeling OP as hell and then you encounter that phys immune monster.

Or you dual element a Sorc and hit that monster with both element immunities.

It’s a surprise the first time, and you can plan ahead for it to some point. But it is part of the challenge here. You cannot just go full fire Sorc and kill everything.

It’s something I really miss in D3 to be honest.

4 Likes

should not toned down. thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, they should not be toned down.

2 Likes