Should I keep pushing for a better Hellfire?

It’s not a Primal or even an Ancient, But I feel it rolled semi-decently:
Str 650
CHD 98% (rolled)
CHC 10%
Reduce duration of controlled effects 36%
Rampage passive

I have enough for maybe 100 more crafts, but most of them up to this point have been garbage.

Hey Acky, it kind of depends on what you’re going for.

What you have there is a respectable Hellfire. If you’re not out to set the world on fire with your clears, it’ll be fine. But, losing out on Ele% is a significant damage loss- assuming you have 20% on your bracer, you’re losing about 17% damage, or 1 GR worth.

If you’re very low paragon, the STR roll can make up for a little bit of that, but even if you had only 6500 STR, that +650 would only be 10% more damage. If you had around 25k STR like me, it would be only 2.6% damage. And if you had 50k STR, like Chris, it would be only 1.3% damage.

So: getting ele% on there would definitely be good (and of course, you also want CHC and CHD as well).

It also kind of depends on what FoTs you have. Oh, and on which build you are playing. If you are playing Rend, switching from a FoT to a Hellfire and moving the FoT to follower is only going to be a very small dps gain. If you are playing Leapquake, then the Hellfire will allow you to take the Brawler skill, usually around 10-12% extra damage, which is significant enough to warrant making the change.

But: I’m guessing you are playing Rend. In which case, if you have a great FoT that you are currently using, you’d be better off just sticking with that until you find a Hellfire with really good rolls.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification on any of this.

1 Like

Thanks, Rage! You’re correct, I am currently playing WW Rend with the BK swords. I was having a bit of a Fury issue, but I may swap back to the IB set. Also, because of the Fury issue, I’ve been using the Hellfire over a FoT so that I could pick up the passive to help with generation.

My current playstyle is to quickly farm GR90s or so for Paragon and to level gems. I have been able to clear GR100 in about 7 minutes, but I haven’t bothered to try higher than that, yet. Still holding out for a damn Primal, too!

How do I link my character sheet?

If you’re having Fury problems, the best way to deal with that, whatever weapons you’re using, is to just use the Wind Shear rune for WW.

I’m taking a look at your character sheet now…

Awesome, thanks again! My sheet did not seem to update my Avarice with my Band of the Might. I swap the two between normal rifts and GRs.

Ok, so, first, if you want to push higher GRs at some point, you should go read Free’s guide (carefully), because that has everything you need.

That said, for speeds, there are some things you may want to change…

Biggest issue: it looks like you are using a legacy Lamentation! These lack the damage bonus that the newer ones have. Even the worst imaginable new Lamentation will be far better than the old one you are wearing. So, time to spend some blood shards, or upgrade rare mighty belts in the cube!

Next, if you are killing the Rift Guardian fast (less than 15-20 seconds), then you don’t need Stricken (you definitely should not need it for T16s. Probably not for 90’s, and maybe for 100s). I usually use Gogok just to help out with cooldowns, or if you want some extra damage you could use Trapped.

For speeds, you also probably don’t need Ancient Spear… although for “high speeds”, where the mobs don’t die right away, you can still use it. Same goes for Stomp- you definitely don’t need this for T16s, and you shouldn’t need BoM either. Same goes for GRs up to about 80. Above that, Stomp and BoM may be handy.

I’ll mention the Fury issue again- easiest solution is to swap to WW: Wind Shear, for Fury generation, BR: Swords to Ploughshares for Healing, and switch Weapons Master to Rampage (or, for T16s and lower GRs, you can use Pound of Flesh for extra speed). Note that while it may look as though Weapons Master is better than Wind Shear for Fury generation, WM actually has its generated Fury reduced by the proc coefficient of the attacking skill. Meaning that for WW (coefficient 20%), you only get 0.4 Fury per hit, much worse than the 1.0 you get from Wind Shear.

For T16s and lower GRs, you can also try swapping your Mortick’s for Nemesis Bracers. These help you clear the rift faster by spawning extra elites to kill when you click a pylon. For 90s and 100s, you may want to hang on to the Morticks for toughness, since you are not high paragon.

Anyway, for reference, here is my speed setup, that I use for T16s and GRs up to around 90: Rage#13139 - Community - Diablo III (diablo3.com)

You may want to give that a try, and if you find it too glassy, just swap Nemesis to Mortick’s.

We should also check in with Chris. He runs more speeds than anybody else around here.

@chris#11418 , advice requested…

Hope that helps. Again, biggest thing to fix is to get a new Lamentation!

1 Like

Bullocks!! And I just augmented that belt last night, too, lol.

I’ve read through Free’s amazing guide, but it wouldn’t hurt to re-read through it. So if I do swap to Wind Shear, I should also change my Ele damage to lightning? And with that, I should also swap to the IB swords, or would I be fine sticking with BK?

I also had Rampage on my Hellfire. I should obviously swap that for a FoT if I change Weapons Master to the actual Rampage passive?

Don’t change to Lightning. In this build, Rend does all of the damage, and the best rune is Bloodbath, which is Physical.

For speeds, BK are usually better than IB, for the extra move speed and Fury generation. For higher content, IBs are better, for extra damage and armor.

For amulet, I would switch to FoT, unless you only have really terrible ones. Doubled pylons are really handy at all levels of play.

Doh!

1 Like

Thanks for your time and great advice, Rage! I’m really looking forward to making these changes and testing it out. And to splurge all my Shards on belts :stuck_out_tongue:

One last thing - I think my CDR is right under 39%. I haven’t really noticed many gaps before I can pop Wrath again. With that, should I swap Stricken for Trapped, as opposed to Gogok?

Hmm, that’s interesting, I feel like I am cutting it close with even 50% / 57% with/without Gogok. Then again, I use IP: Bravado for extra move speed, as well as casting WC every 10 seconds for more move speed from Chilanik’s. So those eat a lot of Zodiac procs.

I guess: try it both ways. See what feels better.

1 Like

Rage gave great advice. I’ll add that if you want to push with the build, read the guide. There’s a lot of fine details to get right if you go that route.

1 Like

I have! It was a great jumping off point for me, since I hadn’t played in a few years. I had most of the pieces in place, albeit some of them the wrong iteration (looking at you, Lamentation)!

I only “push” GRs, really, because my OCD encourages me to be able to hold rounded-up Blood Shards; I hate only being able to hold a sum that isn’t divisible by how many shards it takes to gamble something.

EDIT: I know everything is RNG, but I was wondering if either of you saw better luck getting Ancients one way or another?

Like, gambling vs upgrading rares vs drops?

Well, as far as I know, the RNG per item is going to be exactly the same with any of those options. But, the item pool will be different. When just getting drops, you can obviously get any item, so the odds that pool will slim down from “any item” → belts → mighty belts → Lamentation are not so good.

With blood shards you can specifically get belts, but this includes non-mighty belts as well as mighty ones, so the loot pool is better, but still not as specific as you would ideally want.

When upgrading rares, you can specifically upgrade mighty belts, and there are 7 different ones. So, you have a 1/7 chance of getting Lamentation, and a 1/10 chance of that one being ancient, so 1/70 overall, or about a 1.43% chance.

Ultimately, though, when looking for a new Lamentation, the most important thing is a good roll on the affix. A normal with 150% Rend buff and otherwise terrible stats will be better than an ancient with perfect Str-Vit-AllRes-LPFS rolls but a bad roll on the affix.

Second most important thing is just getting those right rolls. Better that it be normal and have Str-Vit-AllRes-LPFS than that it be ancient but have Armor-Life Per Second-Bash damage.

Excellent point! I am just kind of shocked that I haven’t come across any Primals yet. I’ve gained nearly 35 Paragon levels since I came back. Which, I know doesn’t sound like a ton, but when you’re playing solo, that’s a lot of drops and gambling!

Higher GRs only drop more items, right? Not necessarily better chances at the Ancients/Primals?

Right. And primals are something like 1/40 ancients, so 1/400 legendaries. Pretty rare.

1 Like

Thanks, you guys!

On a side note, which follower are you leaning towards for the next patch?

@Acky … The Enchantress seems to me to be the best choice . I have always liked Templar , but I will be utilizing the Enchantress with coming patch . With these two very helpful buffs , I would think that’s going be a pretty helpful , especially in challenging GR’s :

• *New Skill - Amplification
    Increases your highest static elemental bonus by 5% to 10% based on the Enchantress’s Intelligence.

• *New Skill - Prophetic Harmony
    Reduce your skills’ Cooldowns by 5% to 10% based on the Enchantress’s Intelligence.

She’ll need to be maxed on Intelligence to get full benefit as stated , but it shouldn’t be too hard to get her there

1 Like

That is the exact same thing I am thinking, too.

EDIT: Do you plan on have Cain’s and Sage’s 3-piece bonus equipped at the same time?

For non-season, I have so many DBs I don’t plan on using Sage at all. But in general, yeah, might as well have both equipped. Since farming T16s is the best source of both keys and DBs.

1 Like

Off-topic, but there’s a bit of a technicality here in reference to ancient drop rates. It doesn’t come up very often in practical scenarios, but the chance for a legendary to be ancient is lower for drops below T6.

When ancients were first introduced, it was stated they start dropping on T1, and the ancient chance increases up to T6 (max difficulty at the time). As far as I know, this was never changed.

Ancient items can now drop at Torment I or higher

The drop chance will increase with each Torment level

There was a post from Nevalistis at one point, I think on the old forums, that confirmed that statement from the patch notes was correct, and I think also confirmed that crafts and gambles got the max ancient chance (i.e. 10%) regardless of what difficulty you did your crafting on. I believe it was also stated somewhere that the ancient chance on T1 is 1.5%, but I’m not sure where I saw that.

Now when they added new torments, the T7+ difficulties still got the 10% chance, but the lower torments still have their reduced ancient chance. So it’s a low chance at T1 up to T6, and then 10% for everything T6+ (and for all crafts and gambles).

Now the interesting part is that I think the ancient drop rate on T1 is still lower than 10%. I farm rainbows on T1 sometimes, and anecdotally I think I see considerably less than 10% of my drops as ancients.

I once tracked a few hundred legendary drops to see.

I went 0/100 on Normal, which is consistent with no ancients dropping in Normal.

On T1 I went 2/200. The probability of getting 2 or fewer ancients in 200 legendary drops, if the ancient chance is 10%, is about 1 in 5 million (sum from x=0 to 2 choose(200, x)*(0.1)^x*(1-0.1)^(200-x) - Wolfram|Alpha)

2/200 is more consistent with the ancient chance on T1 being something like 1-2%.

So T1-T5 not only have lower overall legendary drop rates, they also have lower ancient rates per drop.

TL;DR Farm on T6+ for the highest chance of an ancient per legendary drop. Farm on T16 or GR100+ for the highest rate of legendaries per rift.