Should I keep pushing for a better Hellfire?

This actually leads to another interesting question: how does that affect the primal rate?

Is the primal rate still ~1/400 on T1? Or, since the ancient chance is reduced, is the primal rate reduced by a similar amount?

I’m definitely not about to farm enough primals on T1 to investigate this…

Ancients are 1 in 10 legendaries and primals are 1 in 400 legendaries. So, regardless of how you obtain X legendaries, ancients will still be X/10 and primals will still be X/400.

Difficulty levels affect how many legendaries drop, not the percentage of them that are ancient / primal.

That’s what I’m saying though. It’s not true.

It wasn’t true when legendaries were first introduced, it says so right in the 2.1.2 patch notes that the ancient rate is lower on T1 and increases up to T6. As far as I know, this was never changed.

I was skeptical so I farmed 200 legendaries on T1 to check and got 2/200 as ancient. The probability of that happening if the ancient chance was 1/10 on T1 is 1 in 5 million.

The 1/10 rate applies to all crafts, cube recipes, gambles, and any drops on T6+.

I’m suggesting it doesn’t apply for drops in T1-T5, and that the ancient rate per legendary is lower for drops in T1-T5.

Wish I could find Nevalistis’s post I’m remembering where she confirmed it, but I did find this:

The next day’s Evolving Reaper of Souls panel talked about Ancient Items in more detail, and gave the odds as 1.5% of items on Torment 1, increasing up to 10% on Torment 6.

So that suggests that at a Blizzcon panel before ancients were first added, they said the rate was 1.5% on T1 up to 10% on T6. No guarantee that they preserved that, but the patch notes suggest they did preserve a similar system with lower rates on T1 increasing up to T6.

And that’s a lot more consistent with my data.

1.5% is a lot more consistent with 2/200 on T1 than 10%. Orders of magnitude more likely.

1 Like

What’s with everyone crafting hellfire lately? Did they nerf FOT?

I got some sweet old hellfires in my stash!

No, but patch 2.7.0 if you put certain items on your follower they ‘emanate’ and you get the benefit from the item power just from your follower wearing it. FoT is one of those items.

So you can put a FoT on your follower, still benefit from the power (at least when you’re solo), and that frees up your amulet slot. Hellfire is a decent candidate for a number of builds.

1 Like

@Rage

I gambled an Ancient Lamentation, albeit with low stats, and just as you said, it made a huge difference. I also found a new BK sword that rolled Area Damage on it, so I rolled the Vit to 10% CDR. All of my FoTs are garbage, so I elected to keep my Hellfire, for now. In a few weeks, presumably, that won’t matter! Cleared a GR105 in about 6-7 minutes last night. It would have been faster if I had Stricken instead of Gogok, I think.

Hey Acky, glad you are seeing improvements!

So, regarding Stricken… how long is it taking you to kill the Rift Guardian? I just want to make sure you understand how that gem works. Stricken has an ICD that limits how often its +X% damage stack can be applied to a mob. And it can also only stack on one mob at a time. WW stacks Stricken quite quickly, but still only on one mob at a time, so when you’re in the middle of a bunch of enemies, the gem isn’t giving you much benefit.

99% of the benefit of Stricken comes at the RG fight. For most builds in this game, killing the RG in a reasonable amount of time becomes impossible beyond a certain level, without Stricken.

So, in a 6-7 minute run, you would probably only get much benefit from Stricken if the boss is taking you more than about 45 seconds to kill without Stricken. I think you might want to try out Bane of the Trapped, as this is going to increase your damage to just about everything, not just the RG.

The RG actually took quite awhile! Plus, I had very poorly-placed pylons. And I’m actually using Taeguk and Trapped as my other gems. I had Gogok for the quick 90s that I was running, which did work beautifully.

1 Like

Interesting stuff, I didn’t remember any of that. Thanks for the history lesson!

Basics are Crimson 2p with mortiks/COE/bulkathos blades
60-63% CDR
no area damage on gear
weapons have resource/cdr on both
zodiac should have crit/cdr/resource
gems are teaguk/trapped/stricken or powerful(personal choice)
The last gem just depends on how high a gr you try to take it. With 60% cdr you can take all four damage passives(rampage,berserker,ruhtless,brawler). Take boon passive instead of brawler if needed.
Abilities are War cry-impunity or vets warning/rend-bloodbath/sprint-marathon/ WOTB/battle rage-ploughshare or into the fray/WW-hurricane.
Cube is ambos/lamentation/RORG

I always get asked why no IP with this build? Well it’s very expensive and eats up so many zodiac procs so I found a way around it. First war cry is decent and only needs to be hit 1-2 times the entire run. Second sprint is that same amount of speed but has no cooldown. So that leaves the damage loss of no IP. I used 3 resource rolls which in a crimson build turn into direct damage reduction.
You can switch sprint to IP and brawler to boon for more defense as an alternate
Then you wont need the resource rolls on weapons.

You will want to elite hunt and try to time elites on physical cycles.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris!

I’m just wondering, what speeds do you run with this? I just cleared a GR110 in about 7:30 last night after swapping out my Hellfire amulet with a FoT.

You definitely want to lower the GR for speed runs to get the most exp/h and loot. I would keep speed runs between 2~3 minutes tops. For reference, with my speed build I’m averaging 2:30 mins for 110 - under 2 for open festering/battlefields.

1 Like

I try to keep it around 4 minutes. I just wanted to push to the GR110 so that I can carry more shards.

EDIT: Has something been going on with the site? It hardly loads profiles anymore.

I’m can run about the same times as Seras with that build. Maybe A little faster. Just depends on if im trying or not. Sometimes I just put of some music and have a few beers and don’t even look at the times. Just stay out of town. People spend so much time looking at gear or organizing there stash. If your not In a rift you are losing exp to someone else.

This is my last time test I did a few months back in 115s. This build is crimson an istvans with various changes from the push build.
Best:2:49
Average:3:34
Worst:4:21

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! I think once I up my Paragon a bit more, I’ll venture into other gearing options. Right now, I feel pretty comfortable; I was running maybe 4-min. GR95s last night.

Back to the Hellfire, though. Would a viable option be to equip the Ess of Johan on the follower, and still equip the FoT on yourself? Or would it come down to equipping whichever increases your own personal damage the most?

FOT on your follower will be the best. Being able to have an extra passive from hellfire is really good and in squirts build FOT itself is the addition.

Sometime tomorrow I will post new time test on both 115s and 120s. I want to get some data so I can compare just how much follower changes help.

1 Like

I had been getting pretty frustrated trying to get a decent HF for my LoD HotA. Ate up 15k FS at least. Finally dropped this one:

Ancient
16% fire
100 CHD (rolled)
8% CHC
Socket
Berserker Rage

The fire and CHC are low, but I think it’s not as bad since LoD HotA has lots of fire damage and CHC already. It’s probably better than losing the 4% from non-ancient with LoD. It’s really hard to replace a primal FoT, but I think this will do.

3 Likes