Season effects causing lag

Every time I begin to get deep into my solo rift runs, group GR runs, or bounties, the season effects seem to cause my game to freeze up, lag, and then kick me out of group and into the character select screen. I know the standard Blizzard response is that it is our personal network or computer that is the issue. Well, I did have my ISP send out one of their Manager Engineers and they confirmed that my network is working fine and the lag/drop only affects gameplay and not other websites or connections.

I even went out and bought a brand new computer and STILL had the issue.

Please look into whether or not the season effects are causing issues that Blizzard may not be aware of, or remove them altogether. I canā€™t count how many GR stones I have wasted only to have the game freeze up on me and kick me from the gameā€¦

2 Likes

Hmm I havenā€™t noticed any extra lag from the season effectsā€¦

Could be sound related? There are extra sounds created by it, with that big annoying noise every so often of course. Try reducing the max audio channels in the sound settings. I believe 32 is the lowest setting. Most integrated audio DACs (Realtek) only have hardware support for 32 channels anyway. If a program is producing more sound channels than your sound DAC supports, your system has to mix channels together, meaning more system overhead/reduced performance/potential FPS stutters.

I have seen massive performance drops when setting the audio channels too high, thats why I figured Iā€™d offer this suggeston.

2 Likes

Thanks. I see mine is already set to 32, but I do have an option for 16. I will try that and see if it makes a difference.

good effects should also eat up performance. without a double GeForce RTX 2070 Super in pc, d3 should not even start!
I also think itā€™s a shame that I canā€™t enjoy these awesome sound effects when I close d3 ā€¦ :sleepy:

I basically killed almost all of my volume just to see if it would make any kind of difference. What happens is that as soon as my character hits town, and my latency bar finally turns green, it bounces from between 87 to 200 before going into yellow and red and back again, and it just keeps on changing. So the sound is not the issue.

1 Like

The only other thing I can think of would be something causing severe network congestion somewhere between your ISP and Blizzards networkā€¦ Possibly a routing issue, an overloaded network or even an ongoing DDoS attack.

My ISP has sent out one of their Engineer Managers and we confirmed no issues with my home network and that it is only with Diablo 3 that I have the issue. This is going to have to be on the Blizzardā€¦ :frowning:

I doubt the problem is on Blizzardā€™s end, otherwise everyone would be having trouble.

Go here:
https://us-looking-glass.battle.net/

Select Diablo 3, then tick ā€œTracerouteā€ only. Click ā€œRun testā€.

After itā€™s done, to the right it will display a list of route hops, showing the route name/IP, followed by three ping times in milliseconds. The route will start from Blizzards network and progress to your system.

Run the test a few times, look for any one of those hops that has an abnormally high jump in ping. Ignore anything that is reported as ā€œ* * *ā€.

If you find a route that is erratic in ping times, you can submit the information to your ISP, which they can then pass word along to whoever to get the problem solved.

Sorryā€¦ Just saw this. I have opened the game back up and have opened the site you provided. I have the option to select Traceroute, but nowhere on the screen do I see the option to select a game. When I just click Run Test, nothing happens. I am running the game from the Blizzard launch pad (not sure if that makes a difference).

Where it says ā€œBattle.net Authenticationā€, click it and select ā€œDiablo 3ā€.

okay, I am not seeing ā€˜Battle.net Authenticationā€™ anywhere on my screen.

This is what should show on the left side of the screen. Forgive the lame ascii attempt:

Looking-Glass
Blizzard Network Diagnostic Tool

Select The Region
United States ā†•

Select The Service
Battle.net Authentication ā†• <ā€“Click and select ā€œDiablo 3ā€

Select The Tests
[ ] MTR
[āˆš] Tracerout
[ ] Ping

[ Run Test ]

So what I see (saw) is everything you put. However, there is no dropdown for ā€˜Select The Serviceā€™ and it doesnā€™t have anything preselected. It is pretty much:

Looking-Glass
Blizzard Network Diagnostic Tool

Select The Region
United States (dropdown)

Select The Service (greyed out)

Select The Tests
MTR
Traceroute
Ping

Run Test

Heh, well I donā€™t know what is going on there. Sorry thereā€™s not much else I can do to help you troubleshoot the problem.

One other thought, try with a different browser.

1 Like

Thanks for trying lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been experiencing this too, sometimes randomly my game would freeze up for about 5 seconds then it goes back to normal. This started happening in S21.

Iā€™ve tested on other blizzard games and non-blizzard games, i dont get any issue with freezes or lag, its just Diablo 3.

So I downloaded Google Chrome and got the option to run the test. What is consider ā€˜abnormalā€™ for the ping times?

Anything that is spiking significantly higher than the averageā€¦
For example, mine tops out at around 12ms on my end. If I were to see a hop report a ping significantly higher, as in hundreds or even thousands of milliseconds, that is where the problem is.

Hereā€™s a rough example:
1 ms, 1 ms, 1 ms (Blizzard)
1, 1, 1
2, 2, 2
4, 984, 471 <ā€“Where the problem is. The following hops up to you will also lag.
493, 129, 10
11, 12, 731
493, 14, 11
etc.

Where I see mine is between 43 and 45 ms. Is that bad?

Thats not bad. Run the test multiple times and see if you register any major spikes above the average on any of the hops.

Out of curiosity, what connection type? DSL? Cellular/Mobile Hotspot? Cable?