Season 28 - Altar of Rites Progression Chart

The following information is something I created to help me stay on track during the Patch 2.7.5 PTR and Season 28 when it goes live. Now that I’ve completed it, I thought I’d share it with other players who, like me, are casual players, don’t study game mechanics and are not expert theory crafters.

The order of the Seals shown in the chart below is based on Raxxanterax’s video, The Optimal Altar Path Diablo 3 Season 28. The numbers and cost columns will not change. The cost of unlocking each Seal increases in the order they’re selected. However, if you choose to select a different path, you can edit the letters column to suit your preference.

I tried to abbreviate the cost column to create single lines. For example: Instead of listing 10 Mats for each Act, I simply stated: 10 ea. Bounty Mats. (Meaning 10 Mats from Acts 1 through 5).

I used spaces and dashes between columns for readability, rather than formatting the chart as a table for these forums. (Hopefully making it a printable copy. You should be able to just copy/paste the chart into your own document. Then, you can edit/format/print however you wish).

Finally, as you all know, the information contained here is subject to change. Either in the PTR Patch Preview or the Season 28 Blog.

Now, with all that out of the way, here is the Altar of Rites  Progression Chart:

01 - A - 10 Reusable Parts
02 - C - 1 Flawless Diamond (or greater), 15 Arcane Dust, 20 Reusable Parts
03 - B - 1 Greater Rift Key, 10 Death’s Breaths
04 - F - Any Class Specific Set Helm
05 - H - 20 Forgotten Souls, 10 ea. Bounty Mats
06 - J - 1 ea. Hellfire Mats
07 - O - Reaper’s Wraps
08 - S - 30 Forgotten Souls
09 - R - 1,100 Blood Shards
10 - V - 1 Flawless Royal Ruby, 20 Death’s Breaths, Ring of Royal Grandeur
11 - X - 1 Flawless Royal Emerald, 30 ea. Bounty Mats
12 - T - 20 Greater Rift Keys, 1 Ramaladni’s Gift
13 - Z - 1,300 Blood Shards
14 - U - Petrified Scream
15 - I - Challenge Rift Cache
16 - M - 250 Forgotten Souls
17 - L - 1,400 Blood Shards
18 - K - Ancient Hellfire Amulet
19 - P - Never Ending Questions (Page dropped during a Set Dungeon)
20 - D - Ancient Puzzle Ring, 50 ea. Bounty Mats
21 - G - 500 Death’s Breaths, 300 Forgotten Souls
22 - W - 1,500 Blood Shards
23 - Y - Whisper of Atonement Rank 125
24 - Q - Any Augmented Weapon
25 - E - Staff of Herding
26 - N - 1,600 Blood Shards

AC - 55 Primordial Ashes
AA - 110 Primordial Ashes
AB - 165 Primordial Ashes

Best of luck and good hunting!

Asᴋ ɴᴏᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ
- ᴀsᴋ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ

I do not hide from my enemies.
I do not run from my foes.
I seek them out; I hunt them down;
and then they’re quickly disposed.

~ 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑢𝑠𝑜𝑒

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that the Altar of Rites in-game would not have the letter labels. So, here is an image of what the chart in the OP would look like:

Source: Caleko’s Altar of Rites Planner

Thanks to Abella for sharing:

2 Likes

Disregard this post. I’m going back to my original plan describe above.

The Altar path I choose above worked well for me during the 2.7.5 PTR. Especially being able to buy what I needed from the PTR Vendor, Djank Mi’em.

However, by the time I had the Flawless Diamond to unlock the second Seal (Remove Level Requirement), I had already activated two Pools of Reflection.

Because of this, I’ve decided to modify my Altar path by swapping the second and third Seals. This is my new path for Season 28 when it goes Live:

Season 28 Altar Planner: S28 Altar Planner - Diablo 3 - by Caleko

Which now looks like this:

Also note, in the Altar Planner I linked, it shows I’ve taken the 3 Potion Powers after unlocking the 13th Seal. This is completely dependent on my finding enough Primal items at that point to salvage for Primordial Ashes. This is highly unlikely, especially for me and my poor gaming RNG. The order in which I unlock the Potion Seals is what is important. Remember, it costs 55, 110 and 165 Primordial Ashes, respectively, to unlock all 3 Potion Seals.

One thing to keep in mind with your strategy is this… The third unlock requires you to be level 70 (GR key won’t drop til then) in which case the item level seal won’t be any help at all for your starting character…

2 Likes

Daily brain test complete. Result: Today, brain must be recharged.

Oh, ouch! Thanks for pointing that out. Oh well, disregard my last post. Back to my original plan then.

1 Like

It was an easy miss, since we were getting GR keys free in the vendor bags. The bonus xp from pools is enticing, but it won’t hold a candle to being able to wear lvl 70 gear for the level up grind.

1 Like

Another thing to remember is, I don’t believe we can craft Level 70 gear until the Blacksmith is Level 12. That’s where the Challenge Rift Cache will come in handy.

I hate Challenge Rifts and rarely do them. However, this Season I will struggle through the first one for the loot. That following Monday, I’ll do a second one and hang on to it for the Altar sacrifice.  

Indeed. They are a necessary evil (pun intended). If you are going it solo the best plan is this. Start off by salvaging unnecessary follower items for the reusable parts to unlock the first seal. Then use massacre bonus to level up to 18 and do easy boss bounties to get the gems for unlock 2, then use the materials from your cache to make some yellow level 70 gear which will allow you to do much higher difficulty toward level 70.

Another nice thing about this is that we won’t need to waste any materials trying to make a level reduced lvl 70 yellow weapon this time around.

2 Likes

Everybody keeps saying that, but from my experience:

1. I can’t salvage my starting gear. But, I can sell it for my first pieces of Gold.
  2. I salvage 2 Followers’ gear and only get 8 Reusable Parts.
  3. I run with the Templar, so I leave him his starting gear.

Hm…   It just donned on me: He doesn’t really need his starting gear. But, I like having him at Level 5 for his ability to Heal. I suppose for Season 28 I could salvage his gear too, for the Altar.

Thanks for jogging my brain!  

Brain recharge currently at: 40%

1 Like

It’s true that you cannot salvage your own starting weapon. But you can salvage the Enchantress staff, the Scoundrel bow and Templar shield to get enough. I will be running DH so will take the Scoundrel’s bow for myself and salvage the others stuff for the materials.

Yeah. I forgot about that. DH here too. And I keep the Scoundrel Bow. So, I guess I only salvage the Enchantress’ Dagger. This time, I’ll also try salvaging the Templar Shield and see how many Parts I get. If I don’t have enough, I’ll salvage his Spear too.

Thanks.

Oh, and I almost forgot something else: I could go ahead and create my alternate Barbarian to craft Templar stuff later on. He doesn’t need any Follower gear and can salvage all of it.

correct, since those mats are account shared you can salvage all the follower stuff from an alt character and keep the gear on your main intact for the start.

1 Like

If you don’t want to salvage your follower gear.There’s a weapon rack near the old tristram waypoint.There are also sometimes weapon racks near the cathedral waypoints.

If you are looking for a guaranteed spawn location for racks, there are always 6 racks in the Royal Quarters section of Leoric’s Manor.

Use the “Leorics Manor Courtyard” waypoint, then enter the manor and head NE to the room in the screenshot.

1 Like

I’ve been testing some things in non-Season. (I’ve already cleaned up my Season 27 toons).

To start

1. I play a Demon Hunter every Season. I sell my starting gear and keep the Scoundrel’s Bow.
  2. I run with the Templar, so I let him keep his gear.
  3. I only Salvage the Enchantress’ Dagger and end up with 8 Reusable Parts.
  4. I always create a male Barbarian (later on) to craft items for the Templar.

I recently decided to try running with an Enchantress. (I had already salvaged the Barbarian’s gear). I created a female Wizard to craft items for Eirena. Since the Wizard (and Barbarian) only craft Follower items, they do not need their gear.

So, I sold the Wizard’s starting gear and salvaged all of her Followers’ gear. I got 31 Reusable Parts from that. When Season 28 starts, I will Rebirth Zoey and create a male Barbarian to craft Templar gear. (Eirena did not work out…   for me).

I should be able to start Season 28 with almost 40 Reusable Parts. (Although, this is moot. Because I plan on running the Challenge Rift after I Rebirth Zoey).

Gibbering Gemstone

The last couple of days I’ve been fishing the Caverns of Frost to see how long it would take me to get the Gibbering Gemstone.

1. I only got that dungeon twice, as a Bounty, in all the time I fished for it.
  2. I cleared the Caverns of Frost Level 2 a total of 6 times when Chiltara dropped the Gemstone.
  3. I don’t expect to be so lucky when Season 28 starts.  

Never Ending Questions

1. So far, I’ve run the Marauder’s Set Dungeon 19 times and only found 1 Page.
  2. Like in the PTR, it was the Maddening Questions.
  3. I don’t look forward to this one in Season 28.

I don’t like grinding. So, I know my sampling is small. But, when the Season starts, I will chip away at it. (I’m determined to complete the Altar of Rites. Preferably before I complete the Season Journey).

I always clear this room when I have to go to Leoric’s Manor…   for any reason.  

1 Like

White gear is almost unlimited just by creating a temp character, salvaging all the follower’s weapons, then deleting character. Rinse and repeat until you have enough crafting mats.

1 Like

Is this new? I thought the follower weapons could only be sold to NPCs or used in the Cube’s material conversion recipe, i.e. they weren’t salvageable at the Blacksmith for this very reason.

Don’t think so. Your character’s weapon, for some reason, isn’t salvageable, but the follower weapons can be. Has been like this for as long as I can remember.

It’s been this way since D3 was released.

1. You cannot Salvage your Character’s starting gear.
  2. You can sell your Character’s starting gear for 2 Gold.
  3. You can Salvage your Followers’ gear.
  4. You can sell your Followers’ gear for 2 Gold each.

Find it funny that the coolest looking wings in the game come from completing the altar… last season for many. “Yay, new wings… that I won’t get to use much” :stuck_out_tongue: