RUNES and rune words in D4

Guys we are forgetting something…
Immersion… only few items could get up to 6 sockets, meaning BIG weapons.
Armors, helms.shields in D2 could max hold to 4 sockets.
I dont know sincerely how realistic it seems for a BP having 6 sockets or a small shield having 6 sockets.

Here we go with the “tetris” again… it also played an important role with immersion and item slots to recognize higher socket items too.

i get you xD
but it should still contain some balance
and max 2 sockets as the final result is really lame

1 Like

Well realisticly you could ofcourse add an enormous amount of sockets to an armor.
I mean you put jewelry or runes in them, a rune is basically a letter and jewelry is undetermined in size as three tiny gems locked together with a gold wire is also a jewel (just look at royal crowns and scepters to see how much of that stuff fits).

So I guess its just how much sockets do we (or more correct the Devs) want in an item.
I personally liked the system where not only the item type, but also the item itself determined the maximum amount of sockets.
A Corona can have a maximum of 3 sockets, but a Shako (not Harlequin, but the white item) could only have 2 eventhough both are helmets.
Although I still hope they bring back the Diablo 2 style runewords (though a bit more balanced) and use another type of item for the new style of if/then effects.

Interesting ideas posted in this so sad conversation. The idea of trigger and effect gems might be good if there were 3 or 4 effects allowed to be triggered, like in POE, but having only one effect per trigger is so shallow. For that matter, adopting an old POE mechanic for their newest Diablo game shows a complete lack of creativity, especially when the changes they’ve made to another devs idea are far from spectacular.

So sad.

well it was their idea to make the trigger/effect runes, no?
just making it possible, to add more triggers and more effects, shouldnt look like a rip off

1 Like

eeeh… i mean… 6 sockets for a 6 square inventory space slotted armor COULD somehow make it through if we talk about immersion.

What i still dislike about the condition/effect runes is that basically 1 slot is totally wasted on the condition runes… the runes should at least give additionally a certain passive affix and not just a socket item that basically “does nothing” if socketed alone in only one open socket items for example…

And yes this is true… PoE is way ahead when it comes to ingame mechanics compared to the current D4.

since the items would start with 2 sockets, theres no wasted slots
you have to be careful, to not get overloaded by stats
we have legendary powers, we have angelic/demonic/ancestral powers, if runes also give a bunch of stats or affixes, besides their condition/effect thing, it really gets too much

So… you are saying we should totally scrap 1 socket items? :confused: feels weird tbh, how immersive is that 2 sockets is possible but 1 socket not lol.

with 1 socket, the whole system doesnt work
unless we have gems, jewels, socket charms

Thats exactly what i said.
I hope runes are not the only possible socket items ingame then… jewels and gems should return at least.

1 Like

I will post my idea in its own thread today. Wanted to put it here because it was related and I appreciate the opinion of non-troll people here.

I wanted to reflect upon it and add to the suggestion.

Would love to get your feedback in here as well: "Effect & Focus" - Runes, Power Imbues & Sockets: Mechanic suggestion

They did mention that they are planning a progression system for runes and rune words. What that means is unknown.

where did they say that?

Systems and features panel when they talked about runes and rune words IIRC. They were basically saying what you see now is not the only thing we have planed for runes and rune words.

Hi, i had not the time to read all postings here, sorry for it.

But i wish too, that u go much deeper with runewords as u showed us till now.

Atm it’s very very simple … i know, nothing is final … so i hope u can bring us the deepness back we knowed and loved from d2 1.09. (before enigma existed).

Thank u for developing d4! :slight_smile: