RUNES and rune words in D4

Could add 4 charm Slots. 2 for cause and 2 for effect. Charms drop with random roll. Easy solution to charms. Plus they could also roll with some affixes like 1-2 of them just to give a minor boost. like +2-5 to Physical Damage.

Runes I think should have some actual runewords.
Use White Items as the base crafting item. Take the runes + White Item + other crafting mats? = Runeword Item. Doesn’t require sockets. Give them basically super affixes. These could be the replacement for “Ancient” Items in D3. Minus the Legendary power, also Legendary powers can’t be added to them. So they have higher stat rolls than any item, but lack any legendary power. So this will still make you choose between using different items. Also you can still make these runes socketable just like in D2 make them give different stats. But creating runewords requires crafting.

To bring more items to sockets, we have gems, can use the runes from my suggestion, and bring back Jewels.

I also think Jewel crafting would be an interesting mid-end game crafting. Make it so you can find empty jewels as an item drop. Empty Jewel + Crafting mats + Item = Jewel with either random stat or a selected stat. I think random would be better adds more grind to it instead of just getting what you want, plus you use up an item so if you don’t get the stat you wanted gotta find another item and empty jewel. Something like that anyways.

2 Likes

I loved runewords in D2 but I don’t see how they were that complex. It was basically like crafting a legendary. Selecting the base was cool but 99% of the time it would be the same base that everyone else wanted. They could basically just add a good crafting system that replaces the old runeword system. Instead of needing a rare rune you just need rare materials.

-I’m not exactly sure the D4 rune system is better with just 2 runes but there is potential for higher complexity if they expand upon it. PoE actually has a similar “trigger” system except it links a specific skill to the trigger. The PoE system would be like casting frozen orb automatically when a monster hits you for over 500 damage. I personally prefer it not to be linked to character spells as it tends to make the game play itself in PoE. Instead I’d like to see the effects be more complimentary.

I overall like this idea way more than the current rune plan from D4 team.
It gives runes a similar very useful value like in D2.

I believe charms not necessarily need to return as socketables, having a charm bag instead would be better imho.

BUT… i suppose jewels or gems could make a return for the Condition & Effect or Effect/Focus.
I would prefer an Effect/Focus approach than Condition & Cause.

The problem i see is that a Focus/Condition/Cause socket items seem useless on their own and REQUIRE another socket item in order to work.
This means… 1 Socket items are useless for these socket items, since you require at least 2 of them…

I hope Blizzard realizes this that a socket Item should also work with a minimum of 1 socket and not with a minimum of 2 sockets.

1 Like

There are a few uses for them. They could add the rune words as some kind of crafting recipe: use a white item with the right runes at the cube to add the properties to that item. This could be done instead of socket the runes.

1 Like

Never really played D2 did you?

Runes where hard to farm, I mean really hard, can’t compare it with anything in D3.
And many items you wanted didn’t come easy, even those that weren’t OP and duped, it simply did not rain uniques/jewels/charms/runes etc.
For people who did not have the drops the wanted there was the trading option and this could mean picking up gems and upgrading them to trade away for shako’s and trading the shako’s up to whatever you wanted or many different kinds of trading.
As people were also constantly making new characters and leveling them, you could also trade with low level set like Sigon’s, not duped, no wallets required, you played low content found Sigons sold it for some Pgems/Chipped to someone who needed it for leveling up and later traded the Pgems to someone for an item you wanted.
So many things had value in that game it had its own economic system.

Funny thing is devs keep saying we need something like infinite paragon, because if you log in and find nothing you still feel a little progress was made…well log in to D2 just do something, chances are very high you can find something that had a little value, as gems/jewel/runes even the lower ones had some value, thus some progress was made in wealth and you were a little closer to that build you really wanted.
Sense of progress was already there, they just removed it because the new D3 team needed to put their own stamp on things.

I was thinking why put charms into sockets, why not just bring jewels back, they where great.
But charms sizes and multiple sockets actually might be interesting.
Although this could ofcourse also be done by creating larger jewels :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So your saying quit trying to retain the RPG in the aRPG genre?

Well maybe thats why people try to steer away from D3 and more to D2, D3 was blizzard steering Diablo towards Warcraft.

That wasn’t always so, thats just how D3 does it, which is actually what many want to prevent from happening again because they didn’t like it. Hence they go to the forums to encourage the devs to do it differently.

2 Likes

People today care about these garbage low level items or people back in the day cared about these low level items?

When a game is new and has millions of players there can be an active economy that includes leveling items.

As games grow older and people learn the META leveling items become garbage to everybody. Only end game items matter. You are living in a bubble, the new generation of gamer has no interest in role play or the journey. The new generation wants to min/max, defeat end game content, and spend a bit of cash to look cool doing so.

Diablo is an arcade game, it’s not an RPG, it’s not PvP. DIABLO IS A SMASH AND LOOT GAME! People will smash and loot until they beat the game or realize they’re on a mouse wheel, even then they may keep smashing and looting.

Give up, your day is over. They still sell D&D at the same places you can buy a waifu I’m sure.

Just stop replying to the troll

Official diablo genre…Action role-playing, hack and slash. What do you think aRPG stands for?
Btw never been to an arcade? Games there work very different.

Funny without the spend a bit of cash to look cool, thats what most people did in D2.

1 Like

Yeah I guess your right, just makes me laugh.
Sorry OP.

Doesn’t really matter what any of you D2 fanboys say.

D4 is going to disappoint your pants off and when it does at least you’ll have your 30 year old game to fall back on.

1825 days to go! WOOT!

well they wouldn’t be secret if they told us about them beforehand now, would they?

umm, aren’t rune-words more like “create your own unique affix” kind of thing? I suspect affixes you can create with rune-words you cannot find on legendary items and vice-versa, or at least I hope thats the case.

The old runewords
Were fix items that you crafted on a white item

sorry my bad, I thought you meant they are the exact same thing as the new rune-words.

nono, the new runewords offer a lot of potential imo.
thats really something new

1 Like

agreed, though I wish it could somehow expand to incorporate rune words with more than two runes in them.

yea definitely
and giving low rarity items, more sockets, could even balance the itemizations

1 Like

exactly what I was thinking. I mean I suspect that like D3 the current plan for sockets is max 3, which with current rune-word system would mean max 1 rune-word per item. so if we could have 4 sockets for some rare items or 6 sockets for some blues, we could perhaps get a bit of that balance with current rune-word system as well.

regardless, having longer rune-words can lead to more interesting mechanics. for example if there are chance-based trigger runes, we could have a rune-word that would increase the chance of the next trigger rune every time it triggers for a duration, possibly stacking. or we could have rune-words that come after an effect rune and allow its effects to stack or amplify its effect or add a secondary effect when its activated, etc.

yea
i would go for like
legendary 0
rare 2
blue 4
white 6

and being able to add multiple conditions and effects, all triggering each other

1 Like