RNG Mechanics Explanation?

Would someone, please, explain to me how RNG works? I’ve been playing Season 24, since it’s start (mind you, I’m not going at it like Wudijo) and I’m unable to find, craft, or gamble my way into a set of Gungdo Gear Bracers. I checked the chart and have had every other bracer (in many cases in 4s/5s) except the ones I need. Given that it has no extra-ordinary drop-rate, how does this happen? And it’s not just this instance: I’ve had many others where I, simply, cannot find a common item in a reasonable amount of time.

Am I missing something?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks, but I understand the basic concept; what I want to know is - in a, supposedly, random sequence - how does one item get constantly overlooked? How is it that I can get the same item, in a sequence, across the various methods for generating items and get those items 3 to 4 times in a row?

1 Like

most slot have easily like 10 item or more…
further random does not mean you get one of each for 10 attempt, typically, as you experience, some item do not show up at all for a while, while other repeats…

In short what you experience is not strange random behavior, but normal human frustration when faced with odds beyond your ability to influence…

2 Likes

That’s a small sample size, if you got say 100 of the same legendary in a row, that would be nuts lol. But even then, a truly random sequence can indeed have an arbitrary length span of the same number.

5 Likes

To go with a easier example, it’s the same as tossing a fair coin and getting heads several times in a row. Merely good/bad luck. Just because the coin has more sides doesn’t make the sequence impossible.

[TODO: insert link to Wikipedia article on confirmation bias]

Having said that, according to external sources, there were different odds of getting different items. I believe for a while it was harder to get Holy Point Shot than any other DH quiver. Now it’s just impossible to get a usable one :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Some items appear to be affected by the game difficulty in that, according to the descriptions thereof, “new legendary items become available.” So, go to T16 even if you can’t fight anything and gamble. That should guarantee the largest possible item pool, sans those found only in bounty caches.

2 Likes

Some times it feels like the system knows what you’re looking for, and purposely avoids that one item. :dizzy_face:

10 Likes

Somewhere I’ve seen info that it’s a work of AH engine. Many people seacrching and uses certain type of items so AH influences on the drop. And from game was deleted only AH interface, but it’s engine is still active.

2 Likes

Glad to know I’m not the only person thinking that. I know it’s not true; but - the Matrix is out there! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve personally been having a similar issue - I got the Gungdo Gear to appear and am using them with the starter set, but I found an Ethereal that really screams “get Cesar’s Memento!” and I can’t. I will eventually and its weird as this one can drop from level 9 (or so) so there’s been lots of probable opportunity.

1 Like

I agree; but that 3 to 4 times in a row is over many, many instances over days of game play. Out of the 13 pairs of bracers, I keep getting the same 4/5 pairs in great quantities.

sure I’ll explain: is random

2 Likes

The drop system used in most games these days is a rng system. Yes, there were games in the past that used a pattern drop system, but that was because rng was not really rng. It would use rng to determine a drop order when it started up.

On top of rng, D3 also uses weighted drop system. This means each item has a number assigned to it that is then used to determine its drop chance.

Say you have two items, one has a weight of 2 and the other a weight of one. You add those two numbers together and you get a total of 3.

1: Item 1
2: Item 1
3: Item 2

You have the game generate a number between 1 and 3 and what it lands on determines what is given. If you add another item with a weight of 3, then it looks like this:

1: Item 1
2: Item 1
3: Item 2
4: Item 3
5: Item 3
6: Item 3

So, do a random roll between 1 and 6, compare it to the table and you get the drop.

I, like some others, have a sinking suspicion that not all items are included in the weights, or their weights are changed. There used to be a spreadsheet that had all the official weights, but it does not seem to exist anymore. What makes the changing of weights more likely in my book is that they change weights for other class’s items and so, the tech exists.

If you want proof of this, I did a 7 item rare item run for mighty weapons. There are 8 of them and hence, if all are equal, they each would have a 12.5% chance to drop. Every time you go to get an item again, you have a 12.5% chance to get one. The chance to get a specific item in those 7 tries is 39.2%. To get a 90% chance to get the item you want, it will take:

1-(1/8) = (1-(90%/100))^1/n
0.875 = 0.1^1/n
n = 17.24

So, getting 3 of one item is a row is really suspicious. I do not know the statistical math to figure out the chance for that to happen. From what I have read, my suspicion is that it is is 1/24 or 4.2%. Do not take that with any certainty though.

So, yeah, I keep seeing things like this every day where somethings are coming out a lot more common then they should.

3 Likes

You can gamble for bracers on a lvl 1 monk, if you need it for the cube

1 Like

LOL! That is some great, verbal Jeetkundo, indeed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not saying it in a rude way but no, that makes it sound like you don’t know how it works. Cause that is exactly what one would expect from a random sequence. Some people will get that one item every time, some will get the entire range equally and some will have your bad luck.

But to be a bit helpful, there are items with higher/lower drop rates, you can see the Kadala odds on the D3 planner Kadala page and I guess it correspond to normal drops and crafts. Unfortunately all the bracers have the same drop rate in this case.

I have the same luck with Gungdo Gear so far so I feel you.

4 Likes

No, I get the idea (and, no, I am not offended with your assertion); I get that certain things will generate more frequently depending upon position, so to speak (the game Craps is based around this); it’s the frequency of this replication that I find so strange. I did, in fact, check said chart to see if there was a different drop rate, which, as you’ve noted there isn’t. Also, this isn’t the first time this has happened. This pattern has played-out in many other instances.

1 Like

I am sorry if it sounded like I was being overly educational there. It is a bad habit of mine. I have seen the game hand out only a few legendaries way too often as well. I should not get only the same two legendaries in a run of 6. The statistics for it is absurd.

Oh well, without knowing the code behind it, who knows what is going on.

1 Like

Totally cool. Eventually, I got it; but it happens in other areas. It only stands to reason, I guess, that the more I need of one item - amongst many - the harder it will be to get.

1 Like