Rift guardian Raziel damage explained

After much research and testing I have come to realize why the Rift guardian Raziel 1 shot procs non intelligence classes.

The attack that Raziel performs is Nova (multiple yellow darts). The damage type of this attack is Holy. We do not have a seperate holy elemental resist section, it apparently just got lumped in with arcane resist; however, if arcane resist was also holy resist then wearing a countess Julia’s neck should negate all holy damage as well. It does not. In testing, the holy damage from Raziels Nova attack still one shot proc’d even with countess Julia’s on. This means we have no defensive measure versus Holy damage aside from resist all. Resist all appears to mitigate Holy damage as intelligence classes naturally have high resist all and do not get 1 shot proc’d by the Nova attack.

I would love any input others may have on this matter, as it definitely needs to be addressed.

7 Likes

Well, it’s a pretty easy to dodge attack, especially for ranged classes; the tell is also very clear so you just need to pay attention to Raziel.
This season I’ve been playing barb: when fighting that guardian at high GR levels, I spin behind an obstacle or at least get away as soon as I see him waving his hand.

I hope we are talking about the same RG but I though Raziel attacks are mostly lightning attacks???

Again RG is always tricky he might be the best to some & worse to other depending on your class or build. Again if we are talking about RG Raziel I assume he does mostly lightning attack.

Cru class he is not the best top3 you want to face but I believe he is still not the worst RG yet. but if you play INV or classic holy shotgun using ivory shield he becomes the top3 RG you want to face due to block chance.

DH he is the top 3 RG depending on some. DH skills can almost get in & out easily so almost close to undefeated if you face him. Forgot if he spawns minions if he does than yes he belongs to my top3 if I play DH if he does not, he belongs at least not the worse RG I want to fish :slight_smile:

As a long time monk player playing WW Rend barb this season Raziel one shots everytime with that projectile even with Band of Might 80% damage mitigation active and Beserker up.

It is a one shot mechanic that really annoys me and if I don’t kill him quickly I have to back out.

A WW Rend Barb is a melee build, I have to get close to him.

Blighter hits hard too as well as the Binder but both are not one shots but Raziel is.

Thanks for explaining why! Needs fixed.

Following RG’s are insta-quit for me when pushing this season with TR-Monk without Power or Shield Pylon.
Vesalius & Blighter. Raziel is ok’ish, when you can hide behind obstacles.

Dump some paragons in vitality if ur getting 1 shot by the RG. Depending on the build ive had to put 800+ paragons in Vitality for GR120+.

I had to put 450 paragons in vitality for my 126 last week on my barb. Then again im rocking a 2H so im more squishy…

When ur relying on Zodiac procs to cooldown ur WoTb… I cant afford to be squishy agaonst RG.

Edit: Though now u got me curious. Im gonna pay attention and against Raziel next time.

I’m referring to Raziel with my speed GR110 three min build that doesn’t use OrotZ and uses MR as 2H, F/R and 2H for bigger Rend procs.

My pushing build can tank…but speed GR110’s is where I’m one-shotted by Raziel.

Yeah I could dump some VIT from Paragons but that will lower my damage.

It’s just the ONLY RG that I get one shotted by that annoys.

@Teresa Raziel does do lightning as an AOE lightning ball attack, but the attack that one shots non int classes is Holy. As a melee class it is very difficult to avoid, even with knowing the tell that it is about to happen.

@SpinningFury normally I would agree with increasing total life via vit or %life, but in the end total life is just one factor in you defense. If you have 750k health and increase to 1mil, you effectively increase your defense by 33%. However, damage mitigation is worth way more. A single 50% damage mitigation factor increases your defense by 100%. 80% mitigation increases your defense by 400%. Vit will only help a little compared to actual damage mitigation.

The issue with the Holy attack from Raziel is that we basically dont get any damage mitigation to Holy damage, even though our Holy resist is supposed to be the same as our Arcane resist.

3 Likes

@Homer ohhh i thought u meant for high pushing, but yah in general when ur doing the speed 110s if u spawn the RG when ur Wraths down its lights out lmao. It really sux too if u pop Wrath and dont have time to FC or Stomp and the RG kills u lol.

Exis: Yah but u gotta also keep in mind the higher you main stat is the less mitigation u get from your armor. Depending on how much main stat u have sometimes 200 paragons in dex or str has very little mitigation.

Also keep in mind i mainly played Gen Monk and BK WW barb most these years and those 2 builds rely on a bigger life pool more than mitigation. Reason is because there was never enough mitigation from the set, so both rely heavily on healing (Simplicity Strength bonus for the monk and Blood Funnel rune for Barb) and the amount u healed was based on ur HP%. Barb wasnt as bad compared to Gen Monk, but for Gen Monk i remember having to put almost 900 or 1000 paragons in Vitality dam near, for my 115 clear 2 Seasons ago. I was getting 1 shotted with 500 paragons in vit and half my gear augmented too lol.

Matter of fact people still say BK WW is too squishy… its actual not squishy at all when u got enough HP that the Blood Funnel heals are worth while. Though BK swords arent used anymore since the Wastes set got revamped.

It is a common misconception that there are diminishing returns on damage mitigation from armor. There are several proofs out there , I will track one down.

With builds that heal you for a % of your life, it makes sense to just increase total life. The Monk doesn’t have that option with tempest rush builds.

Against Raziel, we cannot reasonably achieve high enough health to not get one shot. The damage mitigation against Holy damage is essentially non existent. Dmg mit from armor and other sources, combined with elemental resist dmg mit, is normally enough to withstand getting one shot; However, having no actual dmg mit for holy means there is quite literally nothing we can do to not get one shot by Raziel’s Holy Nova attack.

2 Likes

Whether armor gives diminishing returns depends on what you mean. A flat amount of armor does give diminishing returns each time, i.e. 5 additional paragon is more additional mitigation at paragon 1 than at paragon 3000. However, a percentage increase in mainstat/armor is going to always give the same additional mitigation, i.e. 25% more armor is the same amount of additional mitigation whether you are at paragon 5 or paragon 3000.

Raziel procs my WW barb, but strangely not my less tanky Crusader. Don’t know why.

I run Istavans with swords to ploughshares and put 0 paragon in life, lol. Have done a GR 135 in seasons on XB1.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t struggle with him with pushing build at the GR130’s it is more my speed GR build…at GR110 it instagibs me because I’m not using IB but rather 2H MR for bigger Rend procs etc.

But asthe OP says it is because of the Holy resist issue that he does this, all other RG’s are fine for me at that level with that build.

I’m using BK at 110 and below for speeds, ww hurricane and fc dreadnought instead of rage flip…just hide behind your templar when you see it coming since he likes to face tank Raziel.

1 Like

I was doing that but switched to the 2H Reaver for cooldowns and far bigger Rend procs…using Focus and Restraint…Nems… and Squirts with Gizzard for shield and St Andrews Gage in the cube for extra shield.

Destroys GR110…just the Raziel projectile I can’t tank!

Found a decent Reaver (4550 dps)…just using that instead of the IPB’s wrecks 110’s too, no gizzard required. Kinda sweet actually.

1 Like

Indded my Reaver aint that great, has middle range base damage and is at 8% damage…a Primal or near the top range for base damage for a 2H and I’m set but even without it I mash GR110’s in 3 mins…until I face Raziel.

I keep switching from Squirts to FoT as they are pretty equal…FoT uptime on Pylons counter acts Squirts 100% buff and FoT helps with the RG.

But out of 10 GR’s I finish 9 in 3 mins with Squirts…it is entirely dependent on Beserker uptime, pylons and the stupid one shot mechanic.

1 Like

Hmmm same dilema as me. I cant decide myself FoT or Squirts either for speeds lol. Nice job on the 3 minute 110s. I usually take 4-5min.

1 Like

I’ve broken the sub 3 minute mark a few times but I’m usually between 3-4 mins where it is nearer 4 with crap floors.

I tend to like Squirts and just accept death from Raziel and lose a gem up.

1 Like

I guess you are on SC now Homer?