Reworking Trag'Ouls to be the new pet set

So after the absolute gutting of Rathma’s and the complete exclusion of pets from any necromancer set, and with the massive redundancies present in the current version of Trag’ouls (such that, it’s so useless that in no circumstances is it even a viable option), I felt there was an opportunity here to rework this set to become the new petromancer build, while simultaneously addressing a few of the issue with the pets themselves. so with that, let us begin!
(also a disclaimer, while it wasn’t necessarily my intention to shift the focus away from health cost skills, as i explained in a different post, having a set focus on such skills is problematic due to it’s competing with any other set that could buff those skills without relying on the one rune option)

2 Set bonus: Minion skill (command skeleton, command golem, skeletal mages, revive) minions now apply curses to enemies (base versions unless a rune is equipped) with their attacks, and gain 50% increased movement and attack speed.

4 set bonus: Skeletal mages are now permanent and their attacks pierce all enemies, but you are limited to 4. while active, Skeletal mages will orbit the necromancer, reducing damage taken by 20% per living mage. likewise, abilities which heal the necromancer will also heal your minions.

6 set bonus: Losing health through any means will send your pets into a blood frenzy, increasing their damage by 100% per 1% health lost for 20 seconds, stacking indefinitely, however adding new stacks will not refresh existing stacks.

Supporting Item Section

Moribund Gauntlets: Now increases the golems damage by 100% for every unused corpse in the vicinity.

Funerary pick: Siphon Blood also causes affected enemies to take increased damage from minions, but now costs health to cast.

Golemskin Breeches: Are now bracers and the damage reduction is boosted to 50%

New pants (which would use the golemskin breeches asset): Command skeletons summons 3-5 additional skeletons over time, but each skeleton has 50% less health. All minions now explode on death.

New Necklace: Command golem will consume any summoned skeletons in the area of it’s active effect, growing in size and power. Skeletons that are consumed in this way cannot be re-summoned until the golem has fallen. (in more technical terms, golem will now eat your skeletons, gaining 15% increased size, a likewise scaling aoe attack, and damage (which would have to be tuned, think of it like a combo of the short man’s finger and the tall man’s finger, but in reverse because one of your pets is eating the other))

Brigg’s Wrath Rework: Cursed enemies are taunted to attack your minions, and take increased damage from thorns, divided by the amount of active curses. (i.e., the less enemies that are cursed, the more damage they take from thorns to counter act the negative stacking nature of spear of jairo)

Skill Rework

Singularity (because we all know this rune has been problematic to the balancing act): Summon Skeletal Mage is now limited to a single mage, attempting to summon a new mage while the singularity is active will increase the power and duration of the singularity based on the essence spent, up to 100% of your maximum essence (at present it’s 3% damage per essence, but since we’re cutting down from 10 to 1, i’d say it’d be fair to boost that to 30% and .1 second per essence, up to your personal maximum, beyond which the duration can still be increased, but not the damage.)

3 Likes

Not really sure what to think about this. You can probably average 500 stacks of damage, but without many multipliers to minion damage, it’s hard to say if this would be overpowered or not.

a fair reservation, which is why i’m sure tuning would need to be done on a ptr, if the set ends up being too overpowered then the duration could be cut down, doing this would also shorten the ramp time that the set has (although the ramp would still peak at about whatever half the duration is, since on average the second half would just be a 100% increase in damage over the first, the first half would set the pace of the build)
likewise there are numerous tuning options for supporting items, but the goal was to make a build that still incorporated health loss (since that was the original theme of the set anyways) and reasonably buffed pets, while still directing the player to choose between mages, golem, or skeletons for their main damage source.

Or make Tragoul’s something that works with Army of the Dead like the current Rathma, or another generic LoTD- cooldown everywhere build, and redirect Rathma back to pets. Bottom line is we need a set for a pet build.

1 Like

I got you covered !

See modifications to the “Frozen Army” rune.

1 Like

The “classic” Necromancer sets have distinct meta-themes. Trag’ouls is blood, Pestilence is corpses, Inarius is bones (very spooky), and Rathma was, uh, reanimation? Four are broad types of Necromancer’s skills. The introduction of the Masquerade set did upset this balance, but at least I still like these thematic-mechanical flavors. The Bones of Rathma does still manage to be a reanimation set, I guess, since it revolves around the Army of the Dead now… which does reanimate dozens of skeletons for ~5 seconds.

Necromancers really need a pet build back, I agree, but breaking the blood theme of the Trag’ouls set seems too much personally. Instead I’d consider bending the Masquerade set a bit, since that is the one with the least thematic flavor right now. Rathma can be throwing your minions at the enemies and Masquerade can be fighting enemies with your friends.

As a point of differentiation, a pet-centric Masquerade might focus on Revive along with Simulacra as it does now. Its current monofocus on Simulacrum could be split up into sub-builds - one can be classic and shoot Bone Spear with the Simulacra, another could be Revived monsters shooting Bone Spear with you. Balancing this would be… weird. Perhaps each cast of Bone Spear reduces the lifespan of your friends? Simulacra would be protected by Haunted Visions but Revived monsters wouldn’t be. So one sub-build would focus on your BFFs (that you made up) while the other might focus on your massive posse (that you made up). Working in Command Golem somewhere would be fun :face_with_monocle: but I’m not getting clear ideas at the moment.

we already have a pet build…
I’d rahter that they focus Trag into a blood thorns build using blood skills to spend life and deal damage proportional to life spent, life per hit, life per second …

Seems Trang-Oul’s Avatar Build works much more better on Diablo® II: Resurrected
:smiling_imp: