Reset Rites Altar

Can we please get the option to reset the rites altar? I thought I had to unlock an entire row first. :⁠-⁠(

7 Likes

Nope

8 Likes

You will unlock everything eventually anyway.

For example I only need last node (for me it’s double DBs) which costs 1600 blood shards and last potion power which requires me to salvage 3 primals.

3 Likes

Stop crying and just read the damn patch notes next time.

9 Likes

You know that some of these new people on the forum are entertaining get the :popcorn:.

6 Likes

Yes, please allow reset so we can farm all the stuff all over again. That wouldn’t bother anyone anyhow.

5 Likes

Careful, you’ll be called mean for dispensing such advice.

3 Likes

Well, that would be silly because you’ve already spent the materials on the sacrifices.

Youve got some good perks now, so just choose a better path as you continue.

4 Likes

The way it is now there is an optimal path to the last Seal, but only because no matter what you choose, the next Sacrifice is the same.

I think each seal should have a fixed sacrifice based on its position on the Altar, no matter when you choose it.

4 Likes

Irrelevant to the discussion. Failure to read, research and/or anticipate what nodes do and in what order you decide to unlock them is not Blizzard’s fault or responsibility. What materials are required doesn’t make any difference, either. No reset is going to be given.

I didn’t play the PTR, I had no idea what this Altar of Rites was about. Before starting the season I used this thing called ‘Google’ (you may have heard of it), spent about 3 minutes reading about it - roughly the same amount of time needed to come to the forum and write a complaint about it.

1 Like

So? There’s no wrong Altar path. Use what you have unlocked and just play. Read the patch notes. Consider your offerings ahead of time - “do I want to use that Ramaladni’s Gift that I just got right now, or should I save it for later”, etc.

2 Likes

Rather than mocking the post, think deeper and ask yourselves what the user really means.

It obviously dislikes trees and webs, especially when they are directional and acyclic.

Free Bidirectionality is essential to the try and learn philosophy.

Therefore, yes, any choice should be reversable.

From a customer XP point of view, this VOC (voice of customer) is 100% right.

4 Likes

It should be noted, for those of you mocking others for no good reason, that there are people that have moderate to extreme difficulty associating worded directions and/or descriptions visually at an internal level. And in that mix there are some that can visualize some things and not others. I myself had to re-read the description of how the Altar works and even then there was a bit of ambiguity that could have been mitigated with more verbose wording.

For instance, in the description of how the Altar seal unlocks work, you see this:

The highlighted part contains the ambiguous part because technically “preceding” can mean either “the seal above” or “any unlocked seal adjacent to the target seal”. Because the description does not explicitly state that the seal unlocks happen only in a top-to-bottom fashion for all but the R, S, and T seals. Without that explicit detail, one could infer that they only have to have an unlocked seal adjacent to the target seal coming from any direction since the “path” also implies that capability due to the word “preceding”. I didn’t find out the true nature of the pathing being unilaterally top-to-bottom until I tried going for a seal that was physically above the one I was coming from and it wouldn’t let me activate the seal. Details matter here and can cause confusion, especially if you’re a player that has seen the likes of Path of Exile’s passive tree. The very nature of top-to-bottom necessitates multiple paths in order to get some seals sooner rather than later, which is not spelled out in the preview blog.

So as you can see, the lack of proper detail on the true pathing restrictions could result in both confusion on the player’s part and an unfortunately incorrect pathing strategy. Another detail left out is why the R, S, and T seals are not restricted to the top-to-bottom path requirement once you get to any of the three mentioned seals (the reason is because they are unique in that they are the only seals horizontally aligned and not on distinct singular path on the tree). The wording regarding these is simply “because of their position on the tree”. That also implies that they could be activated at any point in time even if the player hadn’t pathed down to at least one of them because the blog specifically calls out the fact these seals are not restricted in the same ways the others are, but for lack of verbose explanation as to why, omits the initial path-to requirement.

Googling wouldn’t provide that info unless the search results also lead to a response in a thread such as this post and the player searching noticed it. A lot of the potential confusion could easily have been avoided with a simple gif or short video showing how the pathing works in finer detail.

9 Likes

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/season-28-altar-of-rites-effects-and-mechanics.

Zero ambiguity there. Took 30 seconds to find.

You’re splitting the hair mighty fine there Nef. That isn’t going to be the first link that pops up with a typical search. That would be the preview blog, which is what most players here are going to reference. Icy Veins added their own additional wording, something that should have been done on the preview blog itself.

The preview blog reads fairly clear to me:

-To unlock a Seal, the one preceding it must be unlocked first (this does not apply to Seals R, S, and T because of how they’re positioned within the Altar). For example, if you want to unlock Seal B or C, Seal A must already be unlocked. There is no limit to how many Seals or Potions can be unlocked within a given time period, if you have the required materials to sacrifice to the Altar. Regardless of the order in which you unlock Seals and Potions, the cost will increase as shown below.

Maybe some player’s reading comprehension is less than others, but again, that is not Blizzard’s fault. It even gives advice that I, and others, have long advocated:

-Study the cost of each sacrifice and theorize where within Sanctuary you can find some of these rare materials.

No hair splitting here.

1 Like

Sure, there was some ambiguity in the way the altar was described. But the PTR notes were posted weeks ago, followed by a ton of discussion and questions, which were subsequently answered. Not to mention videos and threads about the best sequence through the tree. And then there was the PTR, which allowed anyone to test it and make mistakes with no consequence. And the worst case scenario, the OP could have asked for clarification here before making a mistake. There really is no excuse for making a mistake on the Altar, especially since making one does no harm. It just means you choose the one you want at a later time.

2 Likes

Do not try to read what’s not written. You unlock Altar top to bottom (well, the first seal is at the very top), so “preceding” must be “above” by this logic. The patch notes explicitly exclude three seals from this, meaning they can be unlocked “left to right” and “right to left”.

2 Likes

What does it matter? You. Will. Unlock. Everything. Eventually. To point that you could get everything needed even without touching altar and then unlock everything on one go.

1 Like

Not really. You cannot unlock all the bloodshards sacrifices in one go. You’ll have to run some GRs inbetween. But I get your point.

EDIT: Actually, you could open multiple Horadric Chests near the altar, and quickly replenish your bloodshards, so that would be kind of “one go”. :slight_smile: