Reset Rites Altar

I didn’t read the blog preview. I didn’t know anything about the altar of rites. I just didnt rush and made sure to read the forums. I have not wasted anythying on the altar of node ( I made every optimal choice.) and I never prepared beforehand.

I just didnt rush , so I was able to read through the forums and general chat and I caught all the mistakes others were making, so I did not make those mistakes.

Casual FTW

1 Like

:point_up_2: :+1:

You thought. Think about “that”.

There’s literally lines from each node to the ones they unlock. If that’s not clear enough for you, there’s literally no helping you

2 Likes

I am going out on a limb to say, if you need it reset for some reason you wont be pushing any personal bests anytime soon let alone leaderboards. This is because it is a given to fill the entire thing just from playing the game for several hours. I think two items could pose challenge or annoyance on the list. Having to do a set dungeon completion once, and doing the challenge mode once. Everything else is just amassing resources or minimal game progression. The entire altar is meant to complete, but instead of giving you no choice on the order of perks you get to choose which ones first.

While it is true, they are not that easily visible. At least, not to me, because they are very thin and barely “light up” when selected. I only discovered them because my wife mentioned them.

I typically find much of Blizz Devs wording to be very unclear and needlessly ambiguous on many set item descriptions as well. It seems the person or persons making these descriptions has a lot of trouble with language.

I too find the description of the R, S and T seals to be worded very strangely and up for several interpretations.

Wow someone showing reason and compassion? Hard to believe these days. Props to you.

But it seems like the people in this thread just want someone to mock to bolster faltering self-esteem, and unfortunately the OP was their target.

OP - you’re not wrong. There was a lot that was poorly handled regarding communication in this season. But… sadly, because this forum is full of people whose online egos are used as a way to make up for personal insecurities and thus they feel desperate need to strike at those they deem ‘less’ than themselves, this thread has become what it has become.

Toxic community. No wonder nobody feels welcome here.

1 Like

Are you back from your 30-day vacation? Or, did they run you off of the D2R forum? :clown_face:

2 Likes

ditto, I was thinking this or it was worded in a way online translator apps would translate better to other languages. Either way it is Ambiguous.

Also is fear not a control impairing effect? I still get micro feared by some trash mobs.

Not a bad idea.

Perhaps the alter sacrifice should require something for the reset. (everything has a cost lol) Maybe another Glibbering Gem Stone from Chiltara as an offering!! (just kidding please not that lol)

The Altar is a top-down flow chart, pure and simple. If a player can’t figure that out by simply looking at it, I’m sorry, but there are no words sufficient, nor any instructions adequate enough, to explain it. Just looking at it should be intuitive enough to know what it is and what is expected of it.

3 Likes

you are so toxic.

In general, I agree with you and the OP here about having an option to reset things. Lots of reasons for that, including those that you mentioned. But generally, the D3 dev team has taken the position that you should be able to try things, then swap them later, if you decide another option was better. They’ve streamlined that process, removed barriers like a cost to switch specs, time limits, etc.

Then we get this mechanic which takes exactly the opposite approach. Your choice is permanent, account-bound, and irreversible. You choose and that’s what you stay with. It’s even more profound than the limitations on character spec in D2. You can’t make a new character and try again because the mechanic is account-bound. And let’s be real here. There is definitely an optimal path(s) through this mechanic. The QoL upgrades are so profound they make a significant difference in your experience.

Ultimately, the mechanic is finalized now. It’s not going to change. What we’re talking about is feedback to the D4 team about what they end up doing. To that team:

• Yes, I like mechanics that have some permanence to them. D3 was too freely accommodating of players. You played a class, not a build, because you could literally change anything about your character from items, to skill, to attribute points instantly and without penalty. That sucked the identity out of each character and made those choices far less impactful.
  • Yes, I think there should be “noob forgiveness” built in to most mechanics in the game, but it has to make sense lorewise, and it must come with a reasonable cost that escalates from accommodating the “fool me once” bad choice and accommodating a few changes to being increasingly difficult to change repeatedly.
  • Yes, your communication matters. Your descriptions matter in-game and in supporting media. Hidden mechanics or quirks that obfuscate choices that are intended to be impactful should be minimized. It matters in all languages you support as well. Make the UI accommodate the amount of information a player needs so he’s not required to watch a Twitter feed, read a blog, or follow a streamer or other 3rd party source to play your game adequately. Put the info in the game clearly, concisely, and accurately.

Applied to this mechanic, I would have liked to see:

• the choices beyond the initial tier so I could plan a path through the tree
  • a list of the costs, again, so I can plan a path through the tree
  • the UI’s colors more clearly showing the difference between sealed and unsealed. They were pretty close, so I had to mouseover

However, I do understand the idea of surprises, the idea that in a Diablo universe, you don’t always have perfect information, and the choices and costs here are not such a massive barrier that you’re permanently locked out of anything if you mess up. You just have to farm suboptimally longer. On the whole I’ve enjoyed this mechanic, especially the QoL upgrades that players have asked for for years!

Still you dont speak for blizzard. Its not wrong in any way to ask for an extra option to reset the altar, yet you are being a huge dick for no reason. Maybe its time to go outside, get some fresh air forum dweller ?

If they put in an option to reset the Altar it would mean that you’d have to farm all the stuff over again… Imagine the uproar when people then by mistake hitting that “Reset” button when the wole Altar is unlocked!

1 Like

and they learnt that toxicity from you and you are back making it more toxic
should of seen how calm it was before you turned up

Kettle meet pot

Yeah, I know, I’m toxic, because truth hurts

1 Like

Back the f— up, Scooter. I haven’t called anybody any names or insulted them. Pointing out that the Altar is simple to understand if someone takes a minute to look at it and Blizzard isn’t going to let you reset due to your choices is not being dickish. You can take your attitude down to the local 5 & 10 and peddle it there, because it don’t sell here.

1 Like

Frankly requiring people to learn the ambiguous ins and outs of a game feature outside the game to maximize effectiveness before playing is bad design and should be avoided. This is how you end up making games that render options unusable and forces players to start over. It’s a game not a lifetime course of study in optimization. This is one way in which PoE epically fails by the way. It’s not exactly a user friendly design. Diablo 3 at least allows you to respec with minimal disruption. Cue the people muttering about decisions not having consequences.