Removal of TCP/IP - a slippery slope

Playing over TCP/IP on consoles would be a bit more complex. You can’t use a program like Hamachi to simulate a LAN so you must instead forward ports 4000 and 6112 in your router. This is pretty archaic and I wouldn’t expect console players to do that. I also don’t expect Blizzard to ship a game with a feature that won’t work out-of-the-box on any platform without tinkering in 2021.

This change is 100% in line with Activision-Blizzard policies, really no surprise at all.

1 Like

assuming all of that worked you you would also need to get 1 more super important thing to happen, have playstation/xbox/nintendo allow you to use tcp/ip on their consoles in the first place, they could easily tell blizzard no so that people need to buy subs to online.

Another crazy decision. The game for me died before release date. I will now do the fastest refund I have ever done.

4 Likes

I will keep both purchases but it will wind up like D3. Not played and sitting dead in my account. Very unwise of blizzard.

3 Likes

I for one don’t own a console and don’t really care. If needed, this should be a PC option only

1 Like

they don’t read forums or listen to words, only wallets can reach them.

2 Likes

So the game is rated for people over what 16+? doesn’t a well written warning before connection saves the company’s butt in case anything happens? crossing a road is also a big risk and we do it every day.

The point is devs are removing a feature that will affect several groups of people:

-mods;
-people who live far from bnet servers;
-people who don’t want the lag to play on lan

for something that could be managed in a better way. This is the easy way out that doesn’t consume time.

people were invested because blizzard told no features would be removed, and now blizzard comes out and says well you can always play the old game… I’m not affected by the removal of this feature but I can put my self on others’ shoes and this is a trash company move.

12 Likes

maybe they should remove the trade option too? no? doesn’t that pose a risk to? since real money 3rd party trading might be a thing too no? /s

2 Likes

Well, you can. Play Diablo 2 original :slight_smile:

well, if thats how Blizzard treats their fansbase, they dont have to wonder why competitors like FF14 beat them…

5 Likes

Not really. That isnt a new game. When somebody dont like some changes, he can play the same game with the original D2.

“But we want to cheat and ruin it for other players!”

1 Like

how bout this: i want to play with mods and my friends!

9 Likes

Apparently even the Diablo forums aren’t immune to this endlessly repeated talking point that is in vogue for the summer of 2021. What does FFXIV have to do with this game?? Do the WoW forums not provide you with sufficient opportunity to go down this road??

point is that reacting to critic from fans with a “don’t buy it then” message leads to people not buying it. i used ff14 as an example of that

3 Likes

I agree, tcp/ip should have never been removed in the first place. Tcp/ip is part of this classic oldtimer game, it belongs to it, stop butchering it. I thought Diablo 2 resurrected was a remaster and not a remake.

7 Likes

It’s simply because it makes no sense on a console. Who cares about consoles. Make tcpip a PC only feature and stop stripping the game because you can’t make any sense on the console side of things. I haven’t played on blizzard servers in years. I’ve always played through tcpip. I don’t care about clans and meeting people. I simply play in my own home with my own friends and family. The connection is always great and never closes down.

4 Likes

True, the newest world record strat will not work anymore. This + longer loading screens will ensure, that the old WR will not be touched by anything to come in D2R.

But there will be separate leaderboards for D2 LoD and D2R.

This has nothing to do with consoles. This system is actually still used by a lot of console games nowadays, tcp/ip costs you nothing compared to hosting servers for multiplayer. Just to name a few games that uses tcp/ip system (or the protocol to be more specific): Titan Quest, Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2, Borderlands 3, Borderlands pre sequel, a lot of fighting beatem up games, Wreckfest and so on. All the games where you get kicked out of the game if the the person that opened the game are working with this system. Tcp/ip is still a thing and it is still used by a lot of games today.

3 Likes

personally i dont care about tcp/ip but im indeed worried about how mods will be played in multiplayer.
And actually im pretty interested in what the security issues are, does anyone know that ?
I have one theory which i hope im totally wrong with. There might be a scenario where Blizzard is trying to make multiplayer mods only playable on Blizzard Servers which they offer for monthly fee. It would be an ugly way of making additional money. But this is just a theory, i hope im wrong.

1 Like