Removal of TCP/IP - a slippery slope

That is assuming that the people who it would be a deal breaker for notice. It isn’t like Blizz made an official announcement / explanation of it. I only heard about it from angry videos on YouTube. It isn’t 100% a deal breaker for me, but it feels very much bait and switch to quietly remove it and bury that information in a FAQ.

6 Likes

I’ve been here since Pre purchase was an Option and This speaks Volumes I’ve seen More refunds in the last Couple days, compared to the last several months.
Just Like they did Wc3r they went back on there promises for the game,

1 Like

No, Blizzard’s hacks team basically examined data from the technical alpha and found no viable way to keep TCP/IP in without compromising the security of users’ systems. This is definitely one of those times where it isn’t even remotely a user metric driven decision, since it eliminates the possibility of LAN parties outside of everyone at the house playing in a multiplayer game online at the same time. This also means no multiplayer mods, as only single player offline mode will be supported.

As long as they’re able to maintain security on their end, they’ll keep up Battle.net 1.0 for D2/LoD-C. They likely won’t take down those servers until either there are too few players using it to justify the cost (not an issue, ever, so far), or they are unable to get the game’s aging codebase to interface properly with whatever new TLS version is in the pipeline.

This is due to security issues, not cut or altered content. And we got the warning ahead of time. As such, anyone that preordered should be able to get a refund if this is a dealbreaker for them. Be aware though that if you purchased the upgraded tiers such as the Prime Evil Edition, any bonuses you currently enjoy in Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft will be removed once your preorder is also removed.

1 Like

TCP/IP is how a lot of military play. I’m sad for them and a little disappointed but hopeful, Blizzard will fix and release this soon.

5 Likes

there are too many possible reasons why they would do this to assume any 1 thing is the reason the MAUs are important but openbnet would still give them those numbers so the fact they stripped out the whole system is kind of telling of something more.

1 Like

They can’t fix it due to the nature of the protocol. It’s a tunneling protocol, which is why it works from abroad where connections are very often limited or restricted. It won’t be returning. TCP/IP hasn’t been a frontline feature in games for the better part of two decades now. If either Blizzard or Vicarious Visions can come up with an alternate means of LAN play, they’ll let us know.

1 Like

this isn’t entirely true median xl, pd2 and pod don’t run on tcp/ip they run on dedicated servers that actually change the address you connect to for battlenet as far as i know so they should still work if they can get the mods working on the new game code added on top of the old d2lod stuff.

1 Like

Those mods do so via injection and won’t work with the new system. Unfortunately, the private server issue is part of the security issue as a whole, so don’t expect these to work as they currently do (if at all) in D2R.

I mean to be honest, it’s just crap that they remove a promised feature shortly before launch and after people have pre ordered. I only used it every so often when my brother would come back from deployment, but there are people that don’t have great internet connections/server locations and this screws them. I’m sure Blizzard could have figured out a way to make it work. I’ve decided to cancel my PC preorder and see how things go for now. Not happy about TCP/ip removal, short beta with the same alpha content, and ladder being added later with no actual date to go by.

8 Likes

I understand if you are upset by this. I don’t think it is for the reasons you cite, but I don’t have inside info.

If someone wants to cancel the pre-order and wait to see how things turn out they can. It is now a mostly self service function as long as you are within the eligible frame (and of course you are with a pre-order)!

This is the direct refund link Blizzard Support - Contact Support I know it says generic stuff, but it actually goes to the sub menu portion for D2R refunds. Silly forums.

6 Likes

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a broken bridge that can’t be crossed. Some of the old school developers need to step in and stop this decision. If this is removed and Blizzard goes down, no more Diablo. This was promised from the beginning.

6 Likes

I’m beginning to think that this new partnership may not be for the best. Blizzard promised it, Vicarious comes in and stops it. Don’t like it at all.

3 Likes

do you even know who said there would be tcp/ip in the Q&A that everyone is considering as a promise?

The written advertisements for the preorders.

talking about the shop page? the only thing i have seen linked on the forum so far is a clip from the Q&A

They should have a test run of the game where they can optimize and test for these things. We could call it a BETA test.

2 Likes

lol

17 characters re

1 Like

ironically though this makes your statement

impossible because vicarious was moved under blizzard by their owners, Activision, before the preorders went up so they are blizzard and clearly don’t have the authority.

Remove a little bit here, a little bit there, and eventually what do you have? A product that has been partially resurrected. I signed up for a full resurrection, guts and all. Sadly, I may refund and consider the product again in the future if it’s faithful, like I was faithful to the series (since the very first game).

11 Likes

A refund from both of my accounts. Traditionally I always ran a modded D2 session from another computer (acting like a dedicated server), so I could host for friends and randoms connecting over TCP/IP or Open Bnet.

11 Likes