Removal of TCP/IP - a slippery slope

No medianXL PoD PD2 will not work with D2R these modders have come out saying this. They have also said blizzard will not supported private servers. Brotherlaz medianXL dev posted on blizzard forms about it. Also blizzard stated there will be mods that will not work. Those being any that injects code into DLL files. Fact is mods a mention all of them inject code. At this point yes D2R is modable via SP only. Another thing is any mods made for any games on new battle net is now intellectual property of blizzard.

1 Like

you know the post you were replying to is a month old right?

Blizzard also didn’t support private servers before. So it is more a matter of whether they are technically possible. And if someone dares making them.

I don’t know, but I wonder if people will find a way to do it anyway.

In any case, it looks like an uphill battle.

1 Like

I agree with OP, but at the same time, I’m thinking “They can :sweat_smile: replace TCP/IP with :joy: null modem :rofl:

As someone who played every single WoW expansion from Classic to Battle for Azeroth I made countless of experiences where the “slippery slope” argument fitted perfectly.

I could go more detailed into it, but won´t since we´re in the D2R forum. And if you would have played WoW for a longer time you would know that yourself anyway.

I played wow since it came out so quit the hyperbole. You really don’t seem to grasp why slippery slope is a fallacious justification for opposing things. It’s not that they can’t come true, it’s that you are assuming they must.

Well then you should obviously see that WoW Shadowlands is more or less a total different game than WoW Classic is.

While WoW TBC wasn´t. But changes were made, and more changes were made over the years which ultimately lead to no server community, dungeon/raidfinder, MTX, P2W for pretty much everything (thanks to WoW tokens) and so on.

And it all started with very little, very minor changes, as you should know. That´s the slippery slope we´re talking about.

Yes… my family members are such a massive risk to my cyber security… oh, wait!

No. It’s not about security at all. It’s about possible loss of revenue. They don’t want to lose players to mods, they don’t want modders to make a more fun game than they are capable of, they don’t want anyone to completely own the product they paid for. And if they add a cosmetic monetization model, which I’m sure the higher-ups are already planing, they don’t want people to get said cosmetics through TCP/IP.

5 Likes

Conjecture is all that is friend, sorry to tell you. You’re basing this off of your fear of change to a platform you used to use.

Furthermore TCP/IP was primarily used to connect people at long distances, primarily people who considered someone a friend - which mind you often case people barely knew each other and the innocent party wasn’t always if ever aware of the risk of connecting using a tunnel network.

Sure, you can argue actual friends and family were a use case scenario for TCP/IP but it does not change the fact that a larger scenario was where people ended up getting hacked through the use of it and I’m sorry if you think I’m going to elaborate but I’m not because it is not permitted to talk about the use of hacks and items of such nature on these forums.

Sure, money can be a driving reason as well but we don’t know that and you certainly don’t know that. I don’t know that but what we do know however, at least the well informed people like myself on the subject matter, is that it is a security risk no matter how small it may be.

The security risk poses zero threat to the product itself directly but since it is a product of their own game, it is “considered” a security vulnerability to the game.

Everything they say regarding the removal of such a feature is a word game that benefits the company, not the end users. They do this for a reason - it’s all business tactics whether or not you like it.

The fact they nor myself will explain the reasons why TCP/IP is a threat is the reason why you and everyone else is upset about this and it’s understandable entirely and if you’d like to find out further information you’ll need to look elsewhere.

1 Like

criticises conjecture, then makes an entire argument based on conjecture.

No. It was used to play with people you trust. The security argument is invalid because you can simply use other methods if you don’t trust the party or don’t play with them at all.

They just removed something from the game. They analyzed revenue and got to the conclusion that they’d make more money without TCP/IP. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong… but the decision is still completely rooted in money prospects, not in security.

The security argument is what they sell to gullible idiots and white knights.

6 Likes

Whatever fam. Not going to argue with you on something I’m clearly more well versed in. Have fun.

1 Like

yes, “clearly.”

Lol, gullible AND narcissistic. Perfect combo.

1 Like

Secruity and/ or business maybe one of the reasons.

Can there be any legal concerns in terms of privacy since you are using the Battle.Net application to play the game?

Quote from the privacy policy of Blizzard:

“(2) product or account registration, or registration for online game participation, (3) player match-up services, (4) message boards or forums, (5) eCards or recruit-a-friend e-mails, (6) warranty registrations, (7) contest registrations, (8) the playing of a game or use of a service, (9) surveys, (10) customer service or technical support, (11) Share Wish List feature, and/or (12) newsletters. Personal information collected may include your name, home address, phone number, and/or e-mail address.[…]”

1 Like

I mean that doesn’t change the fact that slippery slope is not a good basis for argument. If it were, you should abandon D2R already since it has changes.

1 Like

Well yeah - you´re not completely wrong there.

But except from there TCP/IP removal, there are more or less just bug fixes and QoL features.

TCP/IP removal is not something like auto gold pick up where there are pros and cons.

It´s just us losing a (for many very important) feature - with no replacement at all.
At best, you don´t care about it. But nobody gains anything from it.

3 Likes

For me your comment shows that you know nothing about modding.

1 Like
  1. Those cheating CAN’T enter Closed Bnet.
  2. Security worries is a cheap excuse. You can have it disabled by default with a flag explaining that enabling it may be dangerous. And make the only way to enable it be changing a config file (like EnableTCPIP=0 to 1).
  3. There’s NO reason to remove LAN for this! There’s no security reason to remove LAN!

Goodbye Median XL on D2R. This is a HUGE loss.
Having at least LAN would mean we could have mods and play them online via VPN.

5 Likes

I’m baffled you can drink all those poor excuses provided by Blizzard. They do not really care about security, it’s all to avoid an alternative Bnet not running on their server (like pirated WoW).

2 Likes

Indeed.
If there was real security concerns here Blizzard (and others) would remove it from their existing games too.

1 Like

The moment I saw LAN party in this post, i felt really old all of a sudden. Takes me back to the days when I was sitting in the local computer cafe playing counterstrike with my friends.

3 Likes