Realm vs Game Loot Options

Some things I think I think

1. I think if we make total drops constant (single and multiplayer between personal and FFA loot), there will not be much difference in the item economy.
  2. For solo games, there would be no difference whatsoever for the item economy, irrespective of the loot drop system.
  3. Counterintuitively in multiplayer games, the personal loot economy will likely have slightly less high-tier items in the economy.
  4. Although some play exclusively solo or multiplayer, I think a high percentage switch it up.
  5. If it turned out there was slightly greater imbalance in the item economy in multiplayer games (by let’s say 5% due to FFA vs. personal) that what I anticipate, this overall difference is brought percent-wise closer to even for the item economy as a whole (but of course would not be even), since this item economy has solo player game items, too.
  6. Any difference in the item economy that does exist likely will be insignificant in comparison to the change in the item economy due to the transition to modern battlenet. Battlenet should eliminate duping and reduce botting (I hope) so, the economy is undergoing a major change. In comparison, FFA versus personal loot is small potatoes in comparison.

Conclusions

Overall I do not believe that there will be significant difference in the item economy between FFA and personal loot. These could be separated into two distinct realm but I do not think it is worth it just based on what appears to me a trivial difference in item economy. As these forums illustrate, people are quite passionate about FFA and personal loot games.

I think that there is another “loot-agnostic” population that might like to switch back and forth for various reasons. It could simply be try the loot both systems out or just for game variety. I prefer to keep more options open (FFA, personal loot, or flip it up on a game creation level). Ultimately players will tend to self-segregate based on their own loot system preference but there is no need to enforce an obligatory separation.

1 Like