Raekor: Which Three Hundredth Spear is best?

Hi all,

I’ve been playing Raekor Boulder Toss (the standard version with 2 spears) for a week and I like it!

I’ve just crafted a new Three Hundredth Spear with recipe #3 of the cube (much less expensive than recipe #2 and quite efficient as you can only get The Three Hundredth Spears or Arreat’s Law - about 1/3 of the former and 2/3 of the latter).

However, as I don’t know how all these multiplicators work, so I don’t know if my current Three Hundredth Spear, which has DMG% instead of Area Damage, is better than the new one, which is perfectly rolled but has a lower damage range and also a weaker multiplier.

Here is a screenshot (I’ve pressed ALT so the numbers do not take the augment into consideration): https://imgur.com/a/LhG4Wrr

What do you guys think?

The one with higher affix is going to be better in most cases. The only exception would be if you have very little AD otherwise, like if you only had 50 from paragon, 19 from that 2nd weapon, and nothing else.

1 Like

Embedding your screenshot in case others want to look easily…

2 Likes

Many thanks to both of you!

I do have another AD roll on my shoulders, so I’ll toss the one with the weaker affixe, then.

May I also ask about my Compass Rose? Should I reroll CHC for Coolred? (I’m not sure if the loss in raw damage would be worth the coolred to cast Wrath of the Berseker more often…)

Here is my build: https://eu.diablo3.blizzard.com/fr-fr/profile/Nikookaburra-2952/hero/114464043

(That makes me think that I have seen many players using Mortick’s Brace instead of the APD on the top of the leaderboard, but I guess - cuz I didn’t have time to try yet - that it can only be viable at very high parangon…)

You want to keep CHC on that amulet… do not reroll to CDR.

Mortick’s is less good than Parthans, generally speaking, since it more or less prevents you from using either the missing life damage bonus, or Relentless passive (since Thrive on Chaos rune gives you over 5k LpFS, meaning each Boulder Toss pretty much heals you to full).

1 Like

Thanks again!

I’ve read your guide on Raekor and went through the conversation: I’ve learned many things! And now I know how much I suck with my gr130 at p3750… But I’ve just a few hours of playing Raekor on the meter and now I’m beginning to have a better understanding of what’s important about it. So even though I am not a skilled player, there is room for improvement.

May I ask you a few questions that came up while reading your guide and the conversation about it? Not sure if I should do it here or there… Maybe your guide should be kept for less basic questions, so here I go:

• I have read that some players have removed their life regen and LPH from parangons: would you say this a good strategy?

• I was thinking of trying Esoteric instead of Zei, as I’ve read it’s not advised to use Zei if dual wielding at less than 4K parangons. But some other players advise Gogok instead of Esoteric, as it brings both dodge and cooldown for zerker. Do you think it’s a better choice?

• I think it was you who wrote that when in density, you try to charge as short as possible to throw as many boulders as you can. I’ve got 2 questions here: 1. So it’s actually not a good strategy to get out of the pack to throw boulders on the edge of the pack and keep doing this charging around the pack doing circles? (I thought so because of the conic effect of the boulders) And here is what I should do, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwrxjJQZtUM 2. On the GR140 clear that you posted on YT, it seems to me that you are actually charging quite far away. Is this because it’s a very open map and it helps gathering mobs in order to build a pack? Or is this because you were using a special setup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28G1sbwqS7E (If memory serves, you were using Messerschmidt instead of The Furnace in the cube: is this your favorite version of the build for solo pushing?)

• You mention EF and Oathkeeper in the Q&As: are they a good alternative? (I need to check the rolls but I have a couple of primal EFs. Maybe they would be better than my bad-rolled Three Hundredth Spear…)

• About Weapon Throw: it’s the first time I’m playing a middle-ranged/ranged build, so that may sounds quite dumb but I’m not good at throwing from a distance :sweat_smile: Sometimes, I just don’t click right on the target and that makes me move instead of throwing, which may have fatal consequences ^^ Is one supposed to just to play like that or should one use Shift for Attack lock when Weapon Throwing? If so, Shift is not a very convenient key, right? So I’ve put this binding to mouse button #4, but it’s still not easy to use… Is there a more convenient solution to Attack lock?

• Finally, I want to try your “ranger” version of the build. About it, you write: “If you don’t want to use Endless Walk, you could swap to CoE + Squirt’s, or a Hellfire.” => So Stone of Jordan (instead of CoE) is out of question?

I guess that’s about it!

Idk know if you’ll have time to tell me about all that so anyway, thanks for the great guide! :wink:

Generally the guide is a good place to ask, but I’ll answer these questions here.

Life regen / LpH in paragon, etc:

I would say that you still want some healing… it’s hard to stay alive if you don’t heal at all. Since Relentless basically quadruples your toughness, I’d say you basically want 1/4 the healing you would otherwise have. But, what that means is up to the individual. For instance, in season, where I have been kind of lazily playing through the mid 130’s with about 1500 paragon, I’ve found that having about 12k extra LpH on a ring really helps. Without it I find myself dying much more. In non-season, with 4k paragon, I just use the LpH and LpS I have from Paragon, and that seems to work well. Players with more paragon may pull out that healing from paragon, but I don’t really recommend that for you. I think you’ll need to just experiment with different amounts of healing to see what works best.

Esoteric vs Zei vs Gogok:

I really like Esoteric. And hell, Enryu cleared 150 using Esoteric with just ~3300 paragon, so there’s obviously no shortage of damage. If you have any problems with dying, I’d go with Esoteric rather than Zei. As for Gogok, it kind of splits the difference between the other two gems: some offense, and some defense. You can give it a try if you want, but if you find yourself dying a lot, just use Esoteric.

Charging in density:

Pay no attention to my 140 clear, it’s really not very good. I was still trying to figure the build out then.

So yeah, you really want to just Charge the shortest distance you can, generally speaking. This keeps the animation short, which keeps your EW damage bonus high, and also lets you Boulder Toss ASAP. As the density thins out, though, you may need to charge a bit further, in order to hit enough mobs to fill your bubble.

Furnace vs Messerschmidt vs EF vs Oathkeeper:

All of these are good. The best clears have come with Furnace, but the others have produced good results too. Messer and EF help more with fighting trash than Furnace does, but finishing off elites and killing bosses can take a bit longer. Oathkeeper is really only for playing a ranged setup where you build your stacks and Fury with Weapon Throw.

My 140 was with Messer, but my later 142 and 144 were both with Furnace. For you: give all the options a try! You never know which one will feel best to you.

Using Weapon Throw:

I use the ~ key for “force stand still”, which I press with my pinky.

The “Ranger” setup:

You could use SoJ, but it is definitely worse than CoE (even if you are not really paying attention to optimizing your CoE cycle).

I hope that helps. For future questions, just ask in the guide thread!

2 Likes

Many thanks for all these very clear info and usefull tips, now I’m all set for pushing!

See you in the guide thread!

2 Likes