Question regarding cross-progression

I have a question regarding cross-progression. If I understand it correctly, Battle.net characters created on the PC can be played on the console (also via Battle.net) as long as the console is linked to the Battle.net account, right?

I’m under the impression that all multiplayer locations be it local or playing platform are joined and are one of the same, as long as its not single player

Being able to play the same Battle.net character on both PC and console would be a reason for me to buy a separate copy for the Nintendo Switch.

5 Likes

*Correction: Yes, As long as you own a copy of D2R on both systems saves from any system will transfer to any other system via Bnet.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? I just found this article:

gamesradar (dot) com/diablo-2-resurrected-cross-progression-will-be-available-for-the-consoles-that-support-it-blizzard-says/

(I don’t know how to post links here …)

“Right now we are saying the consoles that support it,” Gallerani said. “That’s not us trying to be evasive, we’re just working through the exact details. What will happen is, whenever you make a character online, it’s gonna ask you to link to a BattleNet account. Obviously if you play on PC, you’re using the BattleNet launcher. But if you fire the game up on Xbox, it’s gonna say ‘Hey, does your Xbox account know about your BattleNet?’ And if it does, you can connect, because all of your online characters are stored on BattleNet servers, so it’s the exact same character that all of these games are accessing.”

3 Likes

You are correct. It is online bnet characters that are saved onto Blizzard’s servers. As long as you own a copy of the game on each platform and link your accounts, your bnet characters will be able to be used on multiple platforms.

1 Like

This means, I cannot play my online character on console, which I previously created on PC? If this is true, can you provide me a source?

That is not true. The online characters are the ones that are saved to blizzard’s servers and able to be accessed on multiple platforms. I am buying a copy on Xbox and PC for this reason.

“Players will also get to enjoy cross-progression, as characters created online can be linked to a Battle.net account and taken between platforms, with an example given of porting a character over from Xbox to PC. With that said, Blizzard is being careful to say that cross-progression is available for “the consoles that support it” and the team is still working through some details.”

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m hoping for! I want to be able to play my online (Battle.net) character on the Nintendo Switch while on vacation and continue playing on the PC at home.

2 Likes

*Correction: Yes online characters transfer via Bnet.

That is not cross play. Cross play is being able to play with people on different platforms at the same time. Like being able to be in a game with pc and xbox people at the same time. What I described in my other post is cross progression, which is what is happening in D2R for online bnet characters.

1 Like

So now we have two completely different statements…

If that’s true, I probably won’t buy a Switch version…

I never talked about cross-play. I know that cross-play won’t be possible. But that was not my question.

It is for online bnet characters lol feel free to read through this thread:

Felix: Listen to me, it is for online characters. SP characters aren’t online.

Blizzard has been clear.

Cross progression is for online Bnet characters.

Cross play is not supported (playing at the same time in the same game as a diferent console/pc)

4 Likes

You’re not getting it. Read Geezer’s post as well as the posts in that other topic lol.

We know that there is no cross play in terms of playing with people that are on different platforms at the same time, but there is cross progression for online bnet chars.

So your saying theres a separate server that holds Bnet characters that can’t cross-play?

You are incorrect.

It is online characters. They have even said the ladder/leaderboard will be shared.

1 Like

Come on man. I don’t need anybody to support anything to do cross progression for offline mode… I just copy save file, and done… Offline play on console doesn’t even need Bnet account.

this doesn’t make any sense. how can the characters be made via bnet, which are multi player, and transfer to a completely different system and continue playing but somehow NOT be able to play with others?