Purists will kill this game early with their fear of change

The game held its own for 20 years in spite of an ever growing difficulty gaining access to the game, installing and playing it, and now the game will somehow flop because I’m putting my foot down to leprechaun and fairy mechanics.

2 Likes

By held its own you mean there are still 20 people still playing it? and the game not getting any support from blizzard anymore?

I barely see any youtubers playing the game anymore, just this one guy who was im the blizzard interview

Hence why they’re creating D2R.

Some old fans play on consoles now. Also, some old fans would apreciate playing it with gamepad on widescreen TV. This is clearly made just to return some reputation after this diablo immortal thing.

Except that they did say that they wanted to bring back old players and new players as well. Even with it being a remaster their goal is to make as much money as possible, don’t kid yourself.

2 Likes

Certain options that are optional toggles are ok, but when everything becomes an option then everyone is not on the same playing field. One may have more advantage than the other. Everyone in D2: R should be on the same playing field. Either keep something the same as in D2, or change it. No need for too many optional toggles. As far as mods there is a reason why they are only used in Open Battle.net. Closed Battle.net, especially Ladder characters, are made to be on the same playing field as everyone else. Mods may make the game more easier, and more diverse, but that is why they are restricted to Open Battle.net.

1 Like

Agree they don’t realize how badly we need personal loot and an end game! Instead of bringing up sane changes like a merc tabs, charm inventory and class balance they swear how amazing the game is in its current state! Which is an absolute joke lol!

This game is DOA with out basic and same changes! It would be for the best if the devs just come and say after thought we’re adding personal loot we know you prisoners aka purist will cry and go full emo and melt down in your Mothers basement but it’s for the best!!! We want to defeat D4 not become another d3 !!!

Purist you were the chosen ones you were suppose to defeat Diablo 4 not drive Everyone to play!

plz dont call them Purists , maybe more fake Purists , because 95% of this player are not day 1 diablo 2 player and most of these fake Purists start playing after 1.09 , mean 1.10 where the game have a lot of change and down the hill , a real Purists is someone playing from day 1 know all version of the game and asking nochange for the prime version of the game , a Purists is a VANILLA player and these fake Purists are not vanilla player

2 Likes

So you member when items didn’t have levels requirements??? Ahhh SOJs at level one was truly amazing! Anyone have a dual leach HP ,MF , Res ring for my spear barb!!! Or have you seen my .08 Archon valor ??? Can we get rid of level Req and it’s odd how no one talks about non ladder you know where all the old ladder items exists not nerfed??? Yes kids non ladder was clearly and truly better then ladder!!! You only played ladder to farm the items that you assume would be nerfed so you had them when the season ended bless the ppl who gave items away because non ladder was the true ladder this is just inside information

1 Like

1 question how paladin beat spear barbarian in classic ?

Purists will not kill this game early. Purists will play this game, others can play D3 or D4 when it gets released.

1 Like

If there could just be a poll on that…

1 Like

“Classic gameplay—the same Diablo II you know and love, preserved.” - Top of D2R website.

thanks blizzard

thats it. no need to change anything. THE GAME IS PERFECT AS IT IS!

Stop trying to change things, they already said NO. if u dont like it, dont play it, its just simple as that.

I dont like d3 and i dont play d3

5 Likes

I welcome patch 1.15 or a rollback to 1.09.

1 Like

Seriously… if, one day, they decided to make a D3 remaster, it would make no sense to demand they change what D3 fundamentally was! It would be D3 with some minor tweaks and much better graphics. That’s totally fine. Great for the people who like D3. I certainly wouldn’t consider asking for deep changes in what is supposed to be a D3 remaster, or even a D1 remaster.

D2R is bringing back D2 with minor tweaks and great graphics. Not really for people who don’t like D2. Just like D3R would not really be for people who don’t like D3 – obviously.

A D3: Reimagined would be another story. Then please, change away! Same if this was D2: Reimagined.

This is such a simple situation, really. I think this hubbub perhaps has more to do with people who don’t want to wait so long for D4, or maybe there’s even something about D4 these “modern system” petitioners don’t quite like. Which I actually don’t understand - if you like the modern style, D4 looks awesome. Far better visual style than D3, imo.

More likely, these petitioners probably just wish D2’s fundamental systems were different. They like everything else about it except for some of its fundamental elements. What can be said, except… sorry guys? This entire project is meant to allow people to enjoy playing what Diabo II is again.

Of course, that doesn’t exclude some shallower changes. But the way players acquire items? Come on, that’s deeper. And as Whirlwind said:

Toggles everywhere is a horrid solution.

5 Likes

I think you are overthinking things. People that have played D2 on and off for the last 21 years almost now, see this as an opportunity to move the game forward and not freeze it in time. A new Dev team means things can improve, whether it be skill balance that was neglected (except for small buffs) as the original dev team left shortly after 1.10, by bug fixes, or even new content. Some go a bit crazy with the charm inventories, corruptions (though it would be a neat way to bring uniques and sets back forward if devs did something similar), gem/rune stacking, etc. Personal loot comes from the toxicity that could be bred with such global loot systems, as well as the fact it seems most ARPGs use a similar system, including a game in the franchise (D3).

If there wasn’t a demand for things such as these, then PoD, PD2 would not be as popular as they are now. This progressive vs purist nature I feel too stems from people feeling like the purists want to freeze the game in time, like an abandoned child that rarely gets visited, but the parents still want it there on the off chance that they wish to visit again. They don’t want it adopted by new parents that will care for and stay with the child.

If they update the game balance, add some new content over the next couple of years, then people will probably keep playing this over Diablo 4 (unless D4 is able to blow it out of the water). The core fundamentals are still part of the game, the progressive skill system, progressive character stats driven by player choice, the rare items, the atmosphere, the itemization, etc, even if the meta changes (economy, meta builds). The game’s current economy is no more fundamental than OG D2s PSkulls, or OG LoDs SOJs; as long as trade exists, there will be an adaptive economy.

5 Likes

I don’t see much reason to prevent changing some very carefully-reviewed balance issues - but I’d argue the way players acquire loot is also a “core fundamental.” Mais c’est moi.

I’d say you were right if this was a strictly multiplayer game like an MMO, or even arguably an “always online” game like D3. However, it is a single player game as well. If the game still functions the same in single player as it does in multiplayer, then it is “core” to the game. I don’t want to start a fight on the whole loot debacle right now, not really my purpose, but just stating meta concepts are not core, they are meta. Really, the core changed anyways in 2003 from what the game launched as. It happens, people were not happy. But life moved on.

I think my biggest point, is people decrying changes as OMG They are trying to turn it into D3, or these people don’t like D2 and shouldn’t play it anyways, if often a fallacy in belief and a scapegoat for people that don’t want to move forward.

I just wanna play the game I love for over a decade to stay the way it is - with updated graphics and some minor QoL.

Which is btw the exact point of a remaster.

Whats not logical about that?

4 Likes

Boring noisy minority who spam major updates zzzzzzz

Thanks we can see the majority of playerbase (with the number of :heart:) do not want their stupid ideas to be released.

3 Likes