Purists will kill this game early with their fear of change

Even though this game is a remaster it is not your typical remaster never before has a game been upgraded graphically in that manner in a remaster, just some resolution and texture upgrades.

Diablo 2 was one of the best RPGs ever made and while it still is amazing it hasnt aged well. The way this game is marketed is that it is made for old players and will be a chance for newer players to experience the game, however being also on so many platforms and porting it to consoles means this game is meant for a much bigger audience than a basic remaster.

The problem is if the game stayed exactly the same new players will probably get demotivated by so many outdated mechanics and tedious chores that they will either quit or not buy the game.

At the end of the day the ones that will make the game much more sales are the new audience and its not in the game’s benifit to drive them away.

There are so many QoL changes that can be made and the experience can still remain the same overall, but it will be a good middleground for old and new players. The original game did get QoL changes so I dont see why the new game can’t.

So please purists try to calm down a bit, its not as bad as it seems, but if you really love this game and want it to grow and have a healthy community you will have to accept change.

154 Likes

Yeah… sure… because D2 is still actively played, D2R is going to to be killed, if there are no changes… /logicOn Oh, wait, no, it’s just gonna be as great as D2, but with better fps and graphics! Damn!

If you don’t like D2, why are all of you guys so committed to change it?! GO post your ideas in the D4 forums! Because that’s what you guys want: QoL, changes, a “new” Diablo game. That’s D4!

137 Likes

“Classic gameplay—the same Diablo II you know and love, preserved.” - Top of D2R website.

Not much more needed to be said.

108 Likes

You want exactly the same game go play the original, its the same logic you are using in facts its even more sound at least its the same game

31 Likes

I’m very much looking forward to play the same game with new surround, cinematics and upgraded graphic for my all time favorite game.

I’m also looking forward to try out Diablo 4, when that comes out.

But this needs to be true to legacy Diablo 2, since it’s not a new game, but a remaster of a classic one.

59 Likes

No, because the old game runs on 25fps and it does so extremely badly, if you don’t have a voodoo graphics card from 200x or use a glidewrapper. And even then, you can’t play it on fullscreen, because it literally changes your mouse movement.

How comes, that people are constantly pretending, they did not know, what a remaster is? This concept is not new! The same thing was supposed to happen to WC3 and there the forums were not flooded by “CHANGE THE GAME”, just because some new graphics were announced!

If you want a new Diablo game, go for D4 dude. That’s Blizzard’s product for you right there.

58 Likes

The biggest problem with WC3R for me was that I felt I got exactly the same game, why was I paying twice for exactly the same thing. None of us hate diablo 2 and you know it can you please cut the BS, we want an improved D2 also not D4. If you have a few differences between D2 and D2R then there is a million between D2 and D4 so also please enough with BS argument.

D2 was great, but it can be better without affecting what made it great.

31 Likes

This 100%, I’ve played this game from the start they could easily make d2 even better without changing the core

24 Likes

When somebody like you who doesnt touched Hell diff i can understand why you want the game to be dumbed down.

18 Likes

No thanks, you’ve got Diablo 3 and soon to be Diablo 4 if you want a modern Diablo ARPG. Leave Diablo 2 for those that want to enjoy Diablo 2 for what it is without having to be stuck with old graphics.

51 Likes

The entire stated purpose of the remaster is to be the same game with better graphics. There are all of these people coming out of the woodwork insisting that D2 is unplayable without significant changes, yet the ENTIRE reason D2R is being made, from the developers’ own mouth, is because of the dedicated community that HAS continued playing and streaming the game all of these years.

Like, I’m not even a strict purist. I’m fine with simple qol like auto looting gold, shared stash, not losing access to the cow level if the king is killed, ladder content being put in single player, ect. But then I see all of these posts demanding stuff that completely change the game like personal loot, aoe added to most melee skills, making spell damage scale with stats, or needless buffs to perfectly good skills/builds, and I start hoping the devs don’t touch anything because I don’t want them to completely change the game to appease peope who readily admit they dont want to play D2.

If all of these people who insist they won’t play D2R unless it gets X changes actually got their demands, they would still leave in a few months with the next big release grabs their attention, meanwhile the dedicated community that stuck around this whole time will be left holding the bag.

49 Likes

The posts here have moved me away from wanting changes.

I think any changes made would need to come after we have a more dedicated fanbase playing the game and not while all the hype is still here.

I get the modding community who just wants some improvements they have play-tested, but some players who post come off as if they never really even liked D2 given what they want to change about it.

14 Likes

I dont understand why OP is so vocal about this matter, he never touched HELL difficulty, he never really expererienced D2, he doesnt really know what the game is all about and what makes it great, he felt discouraged because game was actually challenging and not dumbed down piece of crap which holds your hand and, it actually had choices which had consequences etc.

Op’s issue was mostly related to building your character, my first char in D2 was a joke, everyone had has this lesson, and yet nowadays you can easily respec your character multiple times, the ability to do so is just not handed you like that, you have to work for it a bit.

He shouldnt even care about this remaster or whatever you wanna call it.

You Sir need to calm the heck down with your accusations vs purists ruining the game, your argument with your experience of the game is just not making much sense.

Game already has QoL changes and could use some more in future, no one is arguing vs that, qol just doesnt mean dumbing down the game or turning it to Path of Exile or D3.

30 Likes

Casuals like you will destroy this game, just like how you destroyed D3 and will (probably) for D4.

You want to play a “modern” ARPG? Go play D3 until D4 comes out, it’s as simple as that. People want the exact same D2 meaning the same game mechanics and everything but just with better graphics and small QoL such as shared stash so they don’t lose their items during xfers and quite frankly, auto gold pickup is a near-useless feature because nobody even picked up gold beyond the first two quests in Act 1 normal and just vendored items for it instead. So it’s not a big deal.

26 Likes

OR they will like them and will play game.

Stop hiding your own intentions behind NEW PLAYERS, and stop thinking that they are too stubborn, or too soft for this kind of game. Just look at Dark Souls trilogy, is it popular? YES. Do new players play it? YES. Is it filled with “old”, “outdated” and unfair mechanics? YES. And gamers admire it.

All I see now - some part of the community want some changes that they have seen in mods or other games, and try to hide their intentions to make the game more comfortable for THEM behind caring for OTHERS. And simple decision - mod support, is not enough for them, they want the base game to look like mods.

So selfish… if you care about NEW players, why you do not care about OLD players who want everything untouched? Are we some kind of joke to you?

14 Likes

And this part. Trying to appeal to dev’s wish to sell game just to make things that you want - is very rude and low tactic. Dont say such things, they know better what will sell or not. You dont know NOTHING about it.

4 Likes

How/why are you drawing these conclusions already? The game hasn’t been released yet!

1 Like

The main benefit of gold auto looting is less the gold being in your inventory and more it not taking up space on the screen during large loot drops where your whole screen gets flooded with tooltips. Auto looting gold means you’re less likely to miss a Pskull in a sea of white, or for a hr to get pushed off your screen.

1 Like

True!
Why they always want to change…

2 Likes

My hope is that D2R players will broadly realize that giving optional choices will help the game be more appealing and engaging for the longterm by providing more options not less.

D2 purists are entitled to their opinion. If D2R has a toggable options to select features that make the game as similar to D2 as possible that it a good thing. D2 purists do not need to accept change for their game experience.

Back in the early 2000s, the D2 community which was far larger than what it is now was very vocal about wanting change. Some of the changes were adopted in patches while others not. Even to this day, the D2 modding community has stepped in to give player change that they desired to fix perceived issues in D2.

Similarly, one can claim that it is a low tactic to appeal for no changes when many want selectable options that you do not have to choose.

I am an old player with thousands of D2 hours played. I care about old players. Many old players want change while many do not. Make the changes selecatble. You like 3D graphics but hate auto-gold pickup. Turn 3D graphics on and auto-gold pickup off. This can be applied to many features.

This argument is invalid as is the argument that D2 purists should jus play the original D2. The goal of D2R is to revitalize the game. The developers are taking so far an equitable approach. D2 purist can select options that they like while those who want an updated/improved experience can select different choices.

13 Likes