PSA, Charm inventory and you

so are your main stats buddy and some charms are unique :relaxed:

Charms don’t do anything new that equipment doesn’t do already. That’s what I meant by not being unique and adding anything new. Not because there are unique variants of charms.

and your point is what exactly?

If they did something entirely different, that wouldn’t be the case, but they don’t…

At the moment they are a lazy game mechanic put in to get you to grind more.

so you want more charms?

is that what you are saying?

If charms were to be something good for a game, you would make them both unique and interesting to actually use. To balance them you would make them limited, but to make them interesting they would do things other equipment doesn’t do.

Example :

1 Like

I understand what you mean and it might be nice if you are making your own game, but do you really want to add unique ability’s charms into the game so it will operate like Diablo 3 instead of using a charm inventory :laughing:?

1 Like

One thing D3 wasn’t bad at was smooth and engaging combat and ability augmentation.

Instead of ability augmentation D2 instead stole abilities from other classes and gave them to other classes with 1.10 runewords. Oh, fun… Not. They were limited at the time and probably couldn’t do much more. But that was then.

But D3 failed in my eyes for many other reasons.

I enjoy both games, but that ability of augmentation on items to skills is a direct impact from not being able to optimize you character like you do in diablo 2

it took away your choice and made every builds into a cookie cuter builds without diversity, the exact opposite from what you referring to earlier

diablo 2 gives you so much choice and diversity, that system would come to take choice from you much like it did in diablo 3

Oh, the cookie cutter sets were horrible, but the modifiers were a good core design.

they were not, I was excited about those modifiers as well at the start, but it has a direct correlation to the system they chose to let you use your character and wont bode well in Diablo 2, there are a lot of people that did an in depth videos and talks about the topic, I’m sure you can find more material about it with a quick google search

There were two modifiers. One from skill runewords and the other from uniques. You could literally design a charm system that makes D2 more interesting with that. Since you could implement a tetris like system, you could design it to block out other charms.

Example :
Firebolt with a Multishot : 1 New Build
Firebolt with a Guided Missile : 2 New Build
Fireball with Double Explosion : 3 New Build

you mean make diablo 2 more like diablo 3?

this topic is not about skill balancing, it’s about weather or not a QoL change will hurt the game, and we already proved it wont

2 Likes

No need to make a new thread. I know what it is and I don’t want one.

2 Likes

How do you make Firebolt stronger than Fireball?

You don’t. You make it different. Otherwise it sucks.

we have synergies for that

1 Like

You use Fireball to increase the damage of Firebolt.

Sorceress already had synergies with Fire Mastery, she never needed the pretend synergies, they could have balanced her properly from the start.

Again this has nothing to do with the topic my friend, we can talk balancing all day but until they add additional content there is no point knocking on that door in a completely unrelated matter

make a second thread

Um. This has everything to do with balancing… Why charms suck…

we are not talking about balancing :heart:

1 Like