Proper reaction to the Reddit Survey (mrllamasc)

I want D2 to have a healthy economy, even if it does not benefit me personally.

Totally get that, but again personal does not effect a bot at all, not the bots effecting the economy. It will effect pickit guys I suppose, but to me that’s a minor group of guys that are easily avoided, hell they usually spew stupidity when they enter the game, you can sense when they enter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We disagree here, p loot will definitely affect public botting.
I was around in 2004 when pickit really started picking up, it really was a big, disappointing thing. It was in most public Baal runs, which are quite common.
For the record, I usually main a CS barb,din, or sorc, so I usually clear CS before Baal, sometimes I gamehop CS instead of joining for Baal, so this will have little effect on me.

It’s going to affect the economy, and people are going to complain a lot if there is no place they can go to play a legit, secure game, even though the answer to it is in the devs hands.

If they actually could combat autopick programs well, that would be another story, but these are client side programs, and they’re actually not easy to spot.

2 Likes

Alright this will be my last on this one heh because were going in circles, but saying you disagree and then have everything else you put out about pickit…and about baal runs which I just said was the main issue area.

Come on man…

I honestly don’t see why people have a problem with playing their way, and other people playing in a separate, more secure way.

It makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Is it too hard for you to understand that if they give p. loot no one will bot in public games?, im sorry but you wont be able to leech their drops.

Public bot games are about 1% of the total botting in d2, they dont affect the economy, with or without p. loot.

I like “leave unlimited ammo to Diablo 4”.

I’m not going to attempt to deep dive into some topic specifically here, but I feel as though some people are treating this like a whole new game, a fresh canvas. That’s Diablo 4. Some QoL changes might be cool. Additional content might be cool, eventually. But changing existing game mechanics/systems needs to be done very, very conservatively. This is supposed to be a faithful, mostly 1:1 remake of Diablo 2 upon release.

People definitely don’t scrutinize these changes enough on here. It’s too easy to just say “yes” to all this stuff. Just as an example, some thing small, seemingly harmless - more stash space; seems cool, I like the idea, but doesn’t that mean more items that can be stashed away in the game? More of everything. How does that affect the economy? Does that de-value things? I don’t even know. It’s like injecting money into our economy, it devalues the dollar. Something to think about. I’m just saying, small changes can have big consequences, and I doubt the average person critically thinks about all this stuff.

1 Like

Technically it’s likely that less items will be able to be stored per player, as we had unlimited in d2, but agree with most of your point.
I hope there is a version with no skill/item charm gem etc. Changes at all.

Doesn’t hurt if the devs get the green light to add more flavour into the game though, optionally, does it?

I think out of the two of us, we know who the leecher is, you didn’t even know how drop rates work a couple days ago, but you keep trolling if it makes you feel better.

lol Millions bought on launch the trading house was supposed to be the cash cow and they finanically aimed for it to be. Error 37 5% left, Change and Nerf characters and screw with loot, 20% left. Auction house got deleted. More people left and most left and went to D2. People promised the expansion would make the game so much better but, nope. Played D3 beat D3 couldnt keep playing D3. It was so repetative I wanted to gauge my eyes out. All these complaints and arguments were done and implemented in D3 and it is has not had the fan fair D2 has. It is litterally click click run through modbs click click. There is no dodging things. There is no I need to react this way to monsters. There is no complexity at all to it. It is also supposed to be a reboot. Not a rework. The game did amazing 20 years ago and with a new coat of pain will do the same again. It is simple to start and complex to master. Stop whining about things that will ultimately unbalance and destroy a game that lasted 20 years.

1 Like

I haven’t played D2 in some time, was there unlimited space to store items? On mules? wasn’t there a character limit? I guess you could have more accounts but I don’t think the average player would go to such extremes.

How many versions of the game will there be though? Two? One with a bunch of options and one mostly vanilla version? Maybe some people want a mostly vanilla experience just with ploot, while having all these “options” will affect their experience. Or more than two versions? I wouldn’t count on that. I’d honestly be surprised of there were even two version of the game.

It is supposed to be small QoL changes. Not sweeping changes that change the way the entire game plays. Changing to PoE loot or ploot or whatever else will fundamentally have long lasting effects on the game economy and would take a major rework of the engine.

Yeah most of the people I played with had several accounts. It was only recently they added extra characters per account, 8 mules were easy to fill especially before LoD with the tiny stash.

I don’t know how many realms they will make, but with VV being absorbed into Blizzard and no games to remaster in the horizon, I don’t believe they will remain idle.

My guess? Just 2 realms. 1 that is almost a carbon copy of d2, (may or may not have a personal loot option) and one new realm with new items, skills etc. (Will probably have a personal loot option)

I agree that changing the loot system from FFA to personal loot would be a bad idea.

I disagree that adding a personal loot option would be bad for the economy, or be a major rework of the engine.

Go look at diabloii at the Item generation page. You look at those already incredibly complex calculations and you want to add more complexity on top of that. Do you want it to take 5 minutes to drop items? This isn’t wow boss fights. This is D2 where current builds kill hundreds of monsters. The avg Chaos and Baal run is 3-4 minutes. If we have to wait 1-2 seconds every time a monster is killed you are increasing that by almost 50%.

Why would you have to wait for drops?
There is zero reason for why this would ever have to happen, from a coding perspective.

The coding shouldn’t be an issue, the issue is if they think it will be a good idea. I am not sure, but it shouldn’t affect the economy if the games are separate, the drop rates remain the same.

Calculations for item level, character level, proximity, personal loot or whatever because what you guys are asking for isn’t personal loot. Is the item a potion, arrows, bolts, anything on an exception list. If you don’t do an exception list now you changed the drop rate for these things. Because it would be a seperate list that it would need to be pulled from. How are we determining who gets the p loot is it damage well static field says my sorc gets all p loot all the time. How you going to break it up? What about the auradin providing passive help acting like a healer casue he came from wow. There are so many issues with this it is monumental. If you want all these things keep playing D3. Beg for an expansion. Stop trying to create needless complexity that is going to wrap everyones latency all going to one server or so it has been said. Into a loot calculation for every monster.

It’s not nearly as complicated as you’re making it out to be, there’s no reason to bring damage calculations or any of that stuff into the conversation of personal loot.

You could likely if-then program on every drop, using existing proximity peramiters that are already coded into the base game.

If it were an issue, do you think Blizzard would have asked it on their survey for feedback?

If that were the case I think the huge majority of people would play on the ladder (“new stuff”) server/realm. Especially if they are adding a lot of new content. The vanilla version would become stale compared to the version being updated, with a fraction of the population. So what you’d have, is a bunch of people not into these “options” and changes now playing with them, being affected by them, because they want to experience new content. It’s an unfair position to be in. The standard for games would probably become ploot since it’s seen as being more “fair”, and there you have it, ploot does affect us. And before anybody says it’s a contradiction to “want change” but also “not want change”, it’s really not, as has been pointed out many times. Adding eventual new content and changing Diablo’s current systems, are totally different. I doubt even long time D2 purists would say not to a 6th act after the games been out for a while.

In my opinion the type of player you’re talking about would likely move to greener pastures with or without new content.
A lot of people would dabble in the new options, and go back to LoD similar to what it is now.
Nostalgia as a selling point works really well, I think a lot of people would stay on the realm they know.

I’m a classic player primarily, I play LoD and would try out the new realm but most of my time would be spent in Classic either way. I think giving gameplay options is good, the people that get bored of d2r with no changes- it doesn’t really matter if they go to the new realm, they would likely have gone to a new game anyways.

Yeah, but he happens to be the only person I’ve heard speak about Diablo in a way I deeply agree with. He’s so much more sensitive to the subtlety of Diablo II than most others. So not sure what your response to me is about — I was just saying MrLlama understands D2 especially sensitively and he’s not just focused on the hardcore aspects of the game, as so many people try to paint him.

I happen to think his perspective is far more valuable than most because he proves such deep insight into the spirit of D2, the myriad subtle elements at work really responsible for its great success - not every view is equally valuable. Hah. So I think Blizzard and VV would be very wise to weigh his input more heavily than other fans’. But that’s my opinion, obviously.

1 Like