Proper reaction to the Reddit Survey (mrllamasc)

320 dollars for 1 game’s worth of loot?

Your math is faulty. Knowing the droprates, no botter would ever do this.

Agreed personal loot does not help at all.

D2JSP will be impossible to stop (unfortunately)

Stopping botters will be up to the developers.

They do that now, I personally had 8 sets of D2/Lod Keys, again what has changed?

Some I got off friends when they didn’t need them, but did buy at least 4 of em :slight_smile:

Definitely possible and could be effective if all 8 bots are running different bosses/farming different areas.

Would still imagine 8 solos might be more effective.

8x solo runs are more effective, they just make partied runs when they are low geared or for experience.

D2 keys are different, people had key generators, buying unused keys for a couple bucks a pop. it was easy to get several bots going at once for 10 bucks.

If they can lessen the initial profitability of bots, it will help immensely with that problem going forward.

We know that bots are hard to detect.
We know that personal loot would cause less drops to go to bots per dollar and per time spent.

1 Like

Personal loot did not stop rampant botting in D3.

This is not good logic, since it has never worked.

The cost they will recoup, if the bot is able to see what maphack could see, within a month easy, it’s again not a personal loot issue, they will do 8 man private games, where each bot goes to pindle/meph/duriel/tunnels what have you, or they will make 8 solo games.

Nothing about the drop math with personal changes any of this.

The botting in D3 is for power creep. It also will not stop botting for experience.

You are completely correct that botting won’t stop, but it will slow down the profitability.

We don’t know that for sure

1. Personal loot will make ALL bots run private games
  2. If all bots are running private games they may go more undetected / unreported resulting in them hurting the economy just as much.

Pointing out that someone has a conflict of interest isn’t a character assassination or an attack. In addition, I mentioned several things that I agreed with him on and stated that I enjoyed watching his stream. The central argument of this thread implied that simply because a youtuber had opinions that these were ipso facto the correct opinions. I provided a dissenting point of view. My point wasn’t mrllama = bad, on the contrary I mentioned that I enjoy his content and agreed with several of his points. It also wasn’t that he didn’t like the game. Clearly he has put in his 10000 hours. My point was that a single person’s opinion isn’t authoritative just because they have a platform, and that it is important to recognize the bias inherent in any source of information. If more people thought critically about where information comes from, who is providing it, and what their motives are the world would be a better place.

2 Likes

There are a limited amount of scripts bots use now, with most botters learning only the basics of how to use them, not the inner workings.

8 bots joining 100 runs all within 2 seconds is a lot easier to detect for bnet 2.0 than 1 clientside public bot.

Not to sure if you ever did bot, but general you got timers for joining games you need to pace, and timers between games. The other detectable movements are beyond normal abilities, teleporting too far, using a skill faster than possible.

Bots allowed changes in ability timings, those got you pretty much banned instantly.

Personal just does not change the botting scene, unless you add binding.

The detection they will be using is rarely helped much by public reporting. They will be checking server data, which is a lot easier if 8 bots join the same game.

It will probably cause many bots to run private games, where the drop rate is around 1/3rd of a public run, hampering their profitability, as I said.

I frequent botting sites, but never use them. I hear all the chatter/ know which scripts are popular at the time, etc…I don’t even use maphack and still play ladder.

No reason to trust me, I get the personal idea, but it does not effect the botting scene. Botting protections, duping protections, those will change it. Personal just makes the games go private, still chugging along doing the same work on the economy. We just need to squash the obvious botters, have breathing mods to check on reports. This has been a failure in game design and maintenance.

Well then instead of changing the game for actual players who want the original loot system, let’s hope the developers do a good job with limiting the number of bots.

If it comes down to it I would take shared loot with a worse economy over personal loot with a better economy.

Mathematically, unless you can prove that somehow nearly 2/3rds of caught bots are caught because of players reporting public bots, you’re wrong.

Wrong about what part?

I never said or implied that catching them required people, but they do need more protections.

To me, this is sad. I don’t want D2R’s economy to turn into the dumpsterfire that was Hex charms/ occy rings, etc.

Diablo2 is such a good game, but a healthy economy is a huge part of the playability on bnet.

If it gets out of hand, I’ll just go SSF like I do now. It would still really be sad to see the economy broken because of shared loot bots.