Primal item differentiator

Since 3 of 5 men suffer of color perception issues, and mostly they are related tored and green, I think a better choice to make Primals noticeable would be a thin BLUE border frame or maybe small star.
I wrote this as I have already accidentally deleted Primal items, especially 1 square ones as rings or amulets. They have almost no background arround theitem itself.

4 Likes

I disagree with this number. Out of me and my friends, only 1 is color blind. I was at and IBM conference (sales presentation) and they mentioned that a lot of IT people are colorblind, but not >50%.

Beyond that, the identification of drops should be capable of catering to people with that disability.

I don’t have much faith on it changing for D3. But, for D4, i think those background borders look sweeeeeet! :heart_eyes:

There is already a good enough differentiation, primal items are called Primal Ancient Whatever in the description, so if you are colourblind read the text.

2 Likes

There’s a friggin blimey pentagram on the minimap when one drops…and particle swirls of power all around the beam.

I believe he is taking about when the item is in the inventory not on the ground. Hence the comment about sharding them.

3 Likes

Agree. If I’m color blind (and I know it) that’s what I’m looking for - the work PRIMAL.

OP is talking about the item in their inventory.

I don’t believe I’m colorblind, and I can barely tell if something is ancient or primal. Primal stands out a little more, ancient barely so.

I just use the text on the item, or look for the squiggly braces when the game deems me worthy enough to dump the mass ID from Cains book in to the chat window.

1 Like

I would also like to see more distinction for Primals as they can be hard to see. The red RG icon on the mini map usually hides the red Primal pentagram and lasts longer than it takes me to pick everything up so I almost never see the primal icon on the map. The red beam is so close to the orange beam and on some maps the orange beams look pretty red, and just try to seen it amongst all of the orange and green beams when they are all stacked on top of each other. The gambled ones don’t even get a chance to show the red pentagram or beam.

1. It would be nice if the red border showed around the yellow border that items have before you move the mouse over them in your inventory.
  2. I would also like to have the RG icon removed from the mini map as soon as it dies instead of being there until the death sequence finishes. That way you can just glance at the mini map to see if you got a primal, without having to wait a few seconds.
1 Like

I should follow up that I salvaged a primal belt the other day. I found out it was primal after I salvaged it by looking display in the chat window. It certainly didn’t stand out in inventory screen.

We all do it, that made rush at the end of rift or mass gambling binge to purge the inventory as fast as possible. “It’s all worthless anyway”.

I’m not upset, it was Yet Another worthless primal, but I probably would have felt better to have consciously salvaged it that unconsciously. If anything it’s One Less Thing in my stash that will sit there until EOS only to be salvaged anyway.

When you’re identifying a bunch of legendaries with Cain’s book, they all get identified as new with extra thick borders in their inventory icons (not talking tool tip descriptor). That thick border only lasts until you mouse over the item. That thick border is only the colour of the set and legendary items, even if it’s a primal.

Would be nice if the thick, bright border of a new item was red for primals (again, not talking the pop up descriptor border when you mouse over it, but the inventory icon border itself).

This happens to me too sometimes. I wish they added a helpful effect that appears in our bag/inventory so that its easier to spot the primal item. Would be awesome if they added a new effect to ancient items too when they drop.

Well I know I’m not colorblind, hopefully this doesn’t offend someone.
Anyways I only know of one colorblind person and I learned it was my grandfather right before he died, which leads me to this question.

If your colorblind, don’t you know it?

1 Like

a quick internet search says only 5-10% of the population are color blind. 3 of 5 = 60%… do you have a magnifying glass eye too?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS845US845&sxsrf=ALeKk032JzEAfeJSA1qYTYDnrYlliLY68A%3A1596753441997&ei=IYYsX4a5PIeFytMPgLmT8AM&q=how+many+peopel+are+color+blind&oq=how+many+peopel+are+color+blind&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQDToECAAQRzoHCCMQsQIQJzoECAAQCjoHCCMQsAIQJzoHCCEQChCgAToICAAQCBANEB46BQghEKsCOgoIIRAWEAoQHRAeOgcIIRAKEKsCOgUIABDNAjoECCMQJzoECC4QJzoECAAQQzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOgIIADoFCAAQsQM6CgguEMcBEKMCECc6BQguELEDOgcIABAUEIcCOgQIABADOgUIABCRAjoGCAAQFhAeUOLrAVi4mwJgm5wCaAJwAXgAgAHSAYgBiBySAQY0NS40LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjGzdCN0ofrAhWHgnIEHYDcBD4Q4dUDCAw&uact=5

What about the red border glows or flashes or something? I don’t mind the current way but damn that would look cool. Ancient’s border stands out more than primal at the moment so a glowing red border would look so badass.

Not that I have a problem with the current but it would just look great.

1 Like

If you are that quick in salvaging them, then they must not be useful items. Whether they are primal or not doesn’t change that fact, so you haven’t lost anything. If it was a potentially useful item, why are you so quick to salvage? Can you not take an extra second and examine the item?

1 Like

i am not color blind but i do salvage fast and as Strawman3125 mention, i cant see the red beam when all orange beams are stacked up. I think a nice blue shining beam would differentiate from orange/green color beams a lot. red is the next gamma after orange that is why it is hard to see. also if the contrast of the game is low. lately i made it more bright to see those primals.
useful or not i like to keep the primals for some time. just for the fun of it lol

3 out of 5 statistical affirmations are false.

2 Likes

When the RG dumps everything in a single pile, I’m just madly clicking to loot the entire stack, red, green, orange beams or no.

I do not find Ancients or Primal casually different from any other legendary.

White, Yellow, Blue are all “obvious”. Ancients and Primals? No. Not obvious.

HOW? As one person said, there is a red beam and a swirly animation around the beam. THAT can be seen even through all the amber (orange if you will) and green. ALSO, there is that red pentagram with a red circle around it indicating that there is a primal.

Even if your are color blind, you are not animation blind. Seriously, should Blizzard add a big arrow across the screen with the animation of it pointing to a primal? Should there be big bold letters stating that a primal has dropped? Might as well make D3 into a Bugs Bunny cartoon at this rate.

Not talking about on the ground. Talking about in the inventory.

The last two primals have not stood out to me when I was looting them. But, again, it’s a mad clickfest to loot everything, upgrade the gems, and head home. Just vacuum up everything on the ground. AFAICT it doesn’t sound any different, you just get the clanging clatter of a dozen junk legs when the RG dies.

And, as I said, what’s on the ground isn’t important. It’s in the bags. Even if it was a big red swirly thing on the ground, I probably wouldn’t know WHICH item was the primal as I was hoovering them all up. Why would I care? Just getting up and going.

And the last thing folks want to be doing is taking careful study of the 30 junk legendaries in their bags that they’re trying to salvage as fast as possible. Having a glimmer of red on the outside of that sea of orange, isn’t enough unless you (I) pay more attention than the task requires 99.99% of the time.

2 Likes