Power affixes is a HORRIBLE IDEA

Sounds fun to me.:rofl:

Thats the simple old attribute system
That i like back
Has not much to do with this here

Proper game design is subjective. Many good games emplore different ideas for game design. Being a good game is subjective as well. OoT and BotW are considered two of the greatest games of all time, yet there are many that serious issues with them. Many here see D3 bing a bad game and D2 infallible, yet I find D3 a better game.

Yeah I still play GD every now and then, still in love with the system after 2 years. And GD’s rare items do have +x rank to y skills. :slight_smile:

It kinda has.

Atm there are exactly 3 attributes in total.
The requirement on attributes for equipment for these “powers” is quite similar to torchlight and its totally fine.
Only the passives for each attribute need refining since you cannot really build a character based only on “buff”,“debuff” and “cast on hit” stats.

Yes.

Yes.

You just have more choice that’s it - you choose what to min/max for. You aren’t put in an artificial range. That’s why I made the MMA relation a few posts above.

Yep, first time I read the blog I thought these are random requirement because of this, missing the explanation below the items which clearly states they are fixed.

Yes, this could be done if they separate the effects from the 3 powers in an a la Talent system and add more stats to it. Then regarding on what you weight as percentage you would be considered in the respective faction - for example player focusing on procs and dodging would be considered affiliated with one faction, while someone focusing on procs and ranged damage would be marked as a part of another. It could be done.

Proper game design simply means a system in a game is optimal regarding its interaction within the game universe. One game may be completely different from another, but both to be properly designed.

Oh you can very well build chars on such traits
Barbarian on hit
Paladin buff
Necro debuff

But its more of a moba, mmorpg thing, where everyone just has a role and doesnt need to clear hell by themselfes

But its still very different to the classic attribute system

Your way kinda defeats the purpose of trade-off design. You can have everything you want. Sorc in D2 put point in STR because it’s her limitation and that’s the sacrifice needed to wear armors. I like that design.

I don’t think it’s a role. Buff is good for barb.

You always have trade-offs as long as you have enough item properties. My suggestion for improvement simply makes the pool you choose from bigger.

But that’s exactly what is neglected with the current system - it makes it so that when you put STR to wear armor you suddenly can’t equip a particular weapon type because of the restrictions.

It takes the choice away from the player by being too over-complicatedly restrictive.

Yea but if you have to just spec into all 3, only to hit your resistance caps, you are limited to actually do something, you like
So the balance needs to be attuned
And they are always locking some “builds” together lets say, ancestral gives lightning damage, crit chance and +cleave
It will always be BiS to run this combination (other stats included)
If someone wanted to go crit with fire damage and earthquake, he can but he will always be less powerful -> predefined builds

You are assuming that you can’t balance them around. You can equip anything.

Also it’s not really a trade-off because certain builds will have a few preferred affix and they will just go for that with matching power req in your system. You don’t trade anything. You farm to get everything.

As long as we have enough item properties we do trade. You won’t be able to build a character maxed at every item stat even if you grind infinitely.

Thats what i exactly mean…
You are limiting your role with this system.
It feels way too simplistic and IMHO you might have a harder time to clear the game on your own…

At the same time quite smart Blizzard to simplify roles with a MOBA feature lol…

Now if you combine them 3 instead of focusing one or 2 powers i guess that makes builds more interesting.

But there’s potential weakness to you if you keep pushing ancestral alone though. If they really spread important affixes across the 3 stats.

What do you mean by enough properties? It’s proven in any ARPG that your prefered affixes are not more than 3-4.

Thats somewhat the point…you can commit to some playstyle but on the other hand you cant because you will suck…its cruel xD

I am kinda confused. How does it have anything to do with roles?

That’s why I told you if the itemization is optimal we don’t need such restrictions. This kind of restrictive system is simply an easy way to create sub-optimal itemization with few meaningful properties.

It’s by nature of the game. When you make a build, you emphasize certain strengths. You need something that compliment your strength. if you can have anything then you won’t have anything else.