Pls give back the tetris

To be honest, I like the console inventory over D3 PC version. If you can carry 140 items, you will able to carry 140 items regardless of the item size., thus it made the whole inventory feels organized and less clutter.

We’re never going to get immersive item art again, because people here don’t want items covering more than 2 squares. Sigh

Nothing’s ever going to beat the Diablo 2 Gothic Plate or Full Plate Mail.
https://ibb.co/BV3VgR6

3 Likes

That is easily solved by having tooltips/cards/whatever that shows the items in detail (item art/stats). Doesn’t have to be part of the inventory imo.

Keep the faith up bro!
D2 item design was a masterpiece.
It would be dumb if the D4 dev team stick to cartoon D3 design.

2 Likes

One can only hope…

It’s crazy to me considering the time difference between when D2 was made and when D3 was made that the item animations as shown in your link are so much more distinctive and realistic in the D2 inventory.

Some people might not care about those details but it’s stuff that really catches my eye haha

It’s the little details that set Blizzard games apart. The big details are important too (of course)

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of navigating it but I do like the “slots” configuration. It’s similar to how Borderlands does it.

When you realize that Diablo 2 art design on armors and some weapons is 3D and Diablo 3 does 2D design you notice that something went really wrong there…

Same, the lack of care and attention to detail in item art is strewn across everything in D3. I tried to force myself to like it, I really tried. It just wasn’t Diablo. It still feels like a cheap phone game dangling a bigger number in front of you. You can tell the RoS team did all they could with what they had to work with which obviously wasn’t much.

Yes in D3. We are talking abiut D4 here

Tetris inventory or any other kind wouldn’t be realistic anyway. How can you have a backpack that would truly carry all of the things that it carried in D2. Not even D1’s inventory backpack would be realistic in the real world either. That means that it doesn’t have to be item tetris because there isn’t anything realistic about a backpack that can carry more than a weapon and maybe a pair of gloves.

Who has ever seen a two-dimensional backpack anyway. 3D Tetris or bust!

There really is very little realism overall in any of this.
One thing to remember and the part that matters to me the most is the Tetris allows for much greater detail in the artwork of the gear. Others have mentioned a magnifier reticle or some such thing. I just feel if your going to make a gear loot grind game then have great artwork on the loot. If there is some other way to achieve this, that’s ok too.

2 Likes

Look you don’t have to have tetris in order to get realistic looking artwork. Just have the art team study Gothic style of armors and weapons. Then use that as the base for the designs of many of the items in a Diablo game. And you can still have all of the same one spaced or even two spaces that items take up in inventory.

There are %s of realism, any % is better than 0, if you can only make the items feel more real, then is a good thing to have that. If don’t want to go full fantasy, then the rule should be to make realistic all you can, and even fantasy should have a % of realism to be believable.

What I am trying to say, and it should be obvious, that there is no inventory system that would make the items seem to be the real size that they would be in a real world. Just how many of those body armors can a person really carry. How many weapons can a person really carry. I think you can see where I am going. The inventory screen itself is so unrealistic there is no way that realism can be added to it, not even a bit of realism.

I’m pretty liberal in supporting people expressing their opinion. However, the original post is just blatant outright complaining for the sake of complaining. He may as well just complain about water being wet.

If the one space is big, sure, but then would need to put big rings, which could be good to see them in more detail.

But in any case, they could add an inspect thing to see the item in more detail, and maybe with that they could add more lore to the items, don’t know. The con to that is that add one step to check the items.

I am not that much against the slots required for items in D3, they are visible and with enough detail (i would like a more realistic look). Maybe they can find a size between D2 and D3: armor doesn’t need to be 6 slots, it could be 4 (since we have pants and boots) the same with shields, 1h weapons are ok with 2 slots, 2h weapons could be 4 slots (in line).

In the end what matters is the size of the items in the screen and not that much the slots. The problem is that the less slots you have, the smaller the difference between small and large items.

Even if the inventory isn’t realistic, the items can be. The look can be realistic, the sizes can be realistic compared to the other items. Sure, things like spears wouldn’t be as long but the closest the better.

In reality they carried those items in extra horses, mules, or wagons. They could always use the horse as the place we store the items: still wouldn’t be realistic but it would be closer. I would add a wagon but that would be too rpg, maybe.