Please make Diablo 4 cost $15 a month

yeah because having a monthly sub fee has done wonders for improving the quality in WoW

5 Likes

It is nonsense though. Same ‘argument’ could be used for the initial $60 of the game, or MTX cosmetics. Subs are not better or worse in terms of how much goes into the games development.
If anything, they are better than most of the alternatives (like MTX and P2W), except stuff like DLC and season passes that can be fairly similar, since people are directly paying for content, giving the developers an incentive to deliver content worth paying for. Instead of MTX and P2W monetization that just feeds on gambling addictions and FOMO.

Money can’t save you from incompetence. But money (or at least the potential for future income) is still a prerequisite for improving a game in most cases. WoWs situation wouldn’t exactly be better if they had no Sub. If nothing else, it gave people the Classic release :grin:

I already pay enough monthly subs for streaming all my favorite nerd shows (c’mon, She-Hulk!). I need another $15 a month out of my wallet as much as I need a nail through my foot…again.

Diablo isn’t a pay-to-play IP. It’s an install-and-enjoy. A monthly fee won’t improve anything about the game.

3 Likes

Honestly Diablo 3 could have had subscription fee and still have some of the issues it has today, or possibly even worse issues. So rather than having Diablo 4 require a subscription fee just out of the hope that it’ll receive “better” support, I’d prefer the game to be done well and is great enough that I’d want to buy expansions and such.

6 Likes

Charging a monthly fee to play would kill the game. Nobody wants to pay to play a game like d3, except a few nutcases lol. It’s a great game in my opinion, but I would not play any game I bought if I had to pay a monthly fee to play.

4 Likes

How do you figure gambling ? They have to pay x amount to get y item
Does that mean the whole world are gamblers and need help because they go to the shops to buy bread and pay for it and thats gambling
I always thought gambling was where you pay money for how an event will finish and if you are wrong you get nothing
Gambling is more like buying a ticket in the lottery with millions of other people and getting nothing

Classic is just the original WoW that was released first before they even released WoW so yeah I can see how they got all their money from subs in the game to make the game originally. NOT
From what I gather after the first expansion people complained about having to have the expansion to continue playing so Blizzard made it possible to play just the original WoW

In my case, 10 years of FFXI resulted in over $1800 going to the game. If I could just buy a $60 box and be done with it, that’d be economically superior for the consumer. And while I can understand folks may be iffy on a game, that’s where free trials or doing research can help inform the player on their purchase. But in general, I’ll also continue to tell people to not pre-order anything anymore. Places seeing they already have X sales is a big temptation to rush out an unfinished and unpolished product.

Financially, all subs really offer for the devs is a rough budget for each given month. MTX are a trickier beast, though I’m sure some expectation can be derived based on similar goods within the game after a point. It’s not like some MTX don’t double as subs, either, but offering perks F2Pers don’t get. Based on numerous MMOs and mobile games, though, it’s apparent the sub model is not the “as profitable” approach even if some degree of hybrid is chased.

My usual concern is, nonetheless, that there’s nothing that guarantees the continued fleecing of players enhances the product in any meaningful way. Does Genshin Impact reflect a product that’s worth the amount of money it’s brought in? I’d say no. Same for Fate Grand Order. I’m sure others would say similar for Fortnite, Overwatch, or whatever else that has essentially thrived on gacha/lootboxes. This one of those angles of needed gaming development regulation where post-launch revenue generation of sustained games needs to mandate something like 95% of the cash goes back in. And not without just bloating the paycheck of one or two people to wink and nod at the idea. Pay everyone on the team better. Hire more people to help create new things. Do better on advertising if it’ll help. Either way, what’s good for shareholders isn’t exactly good for games or their players. People trying to jump on the NFT craze is the latest example of crap that doesn’t belong in games, but we’re going to have to tolerate because chasing whales is where we’re at now.

And you’d be part of the large majority.

2 Likes

What for?
It changes nothing for 99.x percent and a few only become richer and thus even stupider than they already are, as the Rl currently proves.

1 Like

No monthly fee. Ever.
Just no.
Don’t care why.
No monthly fee!
Period.

6 Likes

So now we’d have a monthly fee and no way to play 100% solo.

World of Diablo indeed.

Hearts in the right place man, but in the wrong game.

Imo, Classic shouldn’t have a sub. It should be a buy-once thing like Guild Wars 2, with maybe an additional purchase for TBC and Wrath. Unlike retail which needs a constant pump of content and big updates, Classic is only really developed once, after that it’s maintenance mode not unlike D3.

Not that it really matters, it’s a dying game anyway

I’m rolling on the floor with that dumb idea.

1 Like

Honestly, if they go to a sub, I will not be playing the game. I don’t do subscription based games. Never played WoW because of it, never played many others for the same reason.

That said.

If they were to do something akin to say 4.99 - $9.99 per month deal and let us play ANY of the games in the launcher, that might be different. I would feel better about an option like that, vs a cost for only one title. Or a one time yearly payment perhaps, say $99 bucks, and get access to all the game titles in the launcher for a year. You get banned in any one game, you lose access to all of them though under the account.

But more than that, no. I certainly won’t be paying any fee for only one game, let alone an outrageous price per month for many.

I would prefer to stick with paying up front, buying a license to play the game indefinitely rather than a sub though.

5 Likes

Same logic for me.

If there was a monthly cost associated with D4 I would hard pass on it.

I am all for micro transactions that are the players choice, not being forced to pay monthly.

I played WoW for a bit at launch, about 3 months I think and that was the end of any sort of subscription style game for me. Forever.

2 Likes

It is $15 monthly, less $5 for each bidiurnal play (within a fortnight) consisting of 8 hours each.

Brilliant.

Can I add?

How about $15 a month minus .01 cents per minute played in a month.

This would make the game free if you play 25 hours a month.

I know the above is a terrible idea but for some reason I love it lol

My wife: “Honey! Why are you playing so much!”
Me: “I am trying to save us money!!”

2 Likes

Loot boxes. Literal gambling.

Huh no. People wanted to play Classic because they liked it better. Not because they could avoid paying for expansions.
Btw, afaik, Blizzard gives you the previous expansions for free when you buy the latest ones. And you can keep playing WoW without buying the new expansions (if you for some reason wanted to do that).

WoW was WoW before they released WoW? :confused: It is just WoW as it was at release and the following years. Just a re-release, with a few changes. Some might call it a remaster ^^

Cheaper for the consumer, but also result in a lot less money for the developer to run servers, and make new content. So might definitely result in a lesser game.

I greatly prefer one-off games in general though, not all this nonsense Games As A Service. Completely fine with me if a game releases and then never received any more content, ever.
But to be fair, neither MMOs, nor Diablo, is meant to be such games. For better or worse. So the devs need some way to make money for the additional development. Subs seems just as good for that as other kinds of monetization. If not outright the best type.
A lot better than MTX, gambling, P2W, gacha etc. at least. With a sub, everybody pay the same, for the same content, so there is less incentive for the devs to screw over players, or their game, in the attempt to push people into using more money.

Definitely.

Who said anything about avoiding paying for expansion except you and I don’t have an issue with people only playing Classic WoW if thats what they want

There is no such thing as free

I say WoW classic is the original WoW that was released and you say no it’s not it’s just WoW at release seeing as I’m so stupid whats the difference between WoW on release and WoW on release again

There are loot boxes in Diablo where?

Okay, semantics, you get it at “no additional cost”.

(and of course there is such a thing as free)

Not sure how that is relevant for what was being discussed. There aren’t any subs in Diablo currently either.
Maybe with Diablo Immortal arriving soon, we might see those sweet sweet loot boxes.

You talked about something “released before they even released WoW”. But eh, it doesn’t matter.