Plans For a Diablo 1 Remake?

I was wondering if anyone had heard of any plans for a Diablo I remake using the new Diablo II: Resurrected engine?

15 Likes

Iā€™d only care if it also had Hellfire.

But, no. Iā€™ve not heard any plans. D3 ā€œanniversary dungeonā€ is a constricted D1 experience.

1 Like

Diablo 1 HD is real.

1 Like

There is no way that would work. They would need to devise a completely different upgraded engine to lay over Diablo 1.

Diablo 1 is vastly different than Diablo 2 in many ways.

I certainly wouldnā€™t be opposed to seeing something like this though. I would definitely purchase it without hesitation.

5 Likes

Not that I know of, but they donā€™t announce that stuff ahead of time.

They worked with GOG in 2019 to release D1 and Hellfire through them so that the games remain playable on modern systems.

5 Likes

Would be nice. A lot of the monsters overlap and they already have models for the Rogue and Sorcerer because they are Mercs in D2.

Would be cool. I would buy it instantly.

Also add all the single player quests to multiplayer.

4 Likes

They should do it and restore the original full butcher quest and every other cut quest. Probably not going to happen but it would be cool if they also fixed mulitplayer so people could do every quest together (instead of just the 4) and add a trading window.

5 Likes

CD Projekt in Poland owns Diablo 1.
GoG operates as a subsidiary.

If they made a remake, thereā€™s nothing ActiBlizzard could do about it.

Edit: Iā€™m wrong. Disregard.

Pretty sure Blizzard retains all rights to Diablo 1. It was done in partnership with GOG, not by selling the rights to the game. There would have been a contract explicitly covering the work done on D1 by GoG - which is why the game released was announced by BLIZZARD.

Except a massive lawsuit.

3 Likes

SalveWarsong I am pretty sure Blizzard still owns the IP and rights to the game. They just licensed it to gog to modify for resale (My original big box copy from 1998 still works on modern systems but you need to disable explorer.exe before running the game. Search for a .batch file to make it easier if you still have yours and want to play). I could be wrong though do you have a source for the right info?

TSBoyer I do not see how it would not work seeing as how the Diablo II: Ressurected engine seems to be fully 3D and not pre-rendered and the main challenges dealing with aspect ratio, resolution and tile placement should not be an issue from a programming standpoint seeing as they could use the exact same SDK they just created for a Diablo I remake just as easily as they could make a theoretical (not real) Act 6.

Interesting. Thatā€™s not the way itā€™s worded.

Why canā€™t I download regular Diablo on Bnet?

Contractual licensing agreement. They gave GoG exclusive rights to market it. So, GoG gets to use Blizzardā€™s intellectual property, but only within the limits of the contract.

Same as when they license art and such for merch production. They may give a store an exclusive license to use an image of a game char and you can only buy the shirts from that shop. That does not mean Blizzard does not still own the intellectual property rights to that image.

Because it is considered a legacy game. Anything older than Starcraft falls into that category including Wacraft II: Battlenet edition.
You can get a CD copy and either get a batch file to make it run or a mod patch (both will work online). I guess it was cheaper for Blizzard to just license it out then set up the local infrastructure to support it themselves

Oh, then Iā€™m wrong.

Thatā€™s depressing. I donā€™t see Blizzard remaking Diablo.

They have most of the work done already and would really mostly just need new assets but ya it is a long shot.

Graphically as a simple remaster, I assume it would work fine.

Iā€™m talking about these comments I see where people encourage the idea that Diablo 1ā€™s old engine could be updated so that it worked like Diablo 2ā€™s engine. For example: In D1 characters are very limited to how the movement works from square to square and which square they land in when they go to strike an enemy, but in D2 itā€™s much more fluid.

Iā€™ve seen a couple other people in this forum say they wanted ā€œA Diablo 1 remake where it used the base Diablo 2 mechanical engine rather than the original Diablo 1 engine.ā€ When the OP said ā€œUsing the Diablo 2 Resurrected engineā€ I assumed he meant the same thing, which would be a Diablo 1 remake, not a Diablo 1 remaster. ā† This would probably be incredibly difficult to do, almost like programming a completely new game Iā€™m guessing.

Itā€™s already been made and itā€™s badass

5 Likes

I have that saved on 3 USB sticks. lol

There already is a great mod. Russian name I play all the time.
Most people never played 2 yet alone batted an eye at 1. 1 stole my soul and has taken it hostage ever since. Iā€™m using PTO for diablo 2 release. Iā€™m excited just as a kid when I first bought it so many years ago

This is the one remake, I wish would happen, honestly even more so than Diablo 2. Not Hellfire, donā€™t add that crap to it.

Diablo 1, was the first co-op game me and my little brother played on the PlayStation. Iā€™ll never forget it, we went to a pawn shop, to finally get our very first PlayStation, and our mom said we could get a few games. Diablo was one of them! I was about 8 years old.
It wasnā€™t until a year later, my mom talked to some co-workers. Who played Diablo, but online! She knew how much we enjoyed it, and got it for our computer. Thatā€™s what kick started my interest in computers. I remember fighting my older sister to use the internet, because sheā€™d want to be on the phone for 8 hours a day.
Anyway long story short, Diablo 1 holds a special place for me. Being introduce to it, at all, was pure luck. I remember when I had it installed on my ā€œReligiousā€ grandmaā€™s computer. She thought it was the ā€œDevilā€ game. I had to explain it to her. ā€œNo no Grandma, we have to beat Satan!ā€
I even told her Cain was ā€œJesusā€™s friendā€ HAHA. Ah, Hell. Making me all teary eyed going down memory lane. Yeah Iā€™d buy a remake of Diablo in a heartbeat.

5 Likes