Petition for better Teleport / Mobility

Teleport really needs to be reworked!

Wizard is by far the class with the worst mobility!

It is really frustrating to permanently run after other classes, trying to catch them up and fail.

Aether Walker was created to compensate that, but can’t be used, as we would loose too much damage, when using Aether Walker.

Therefore I start this Petition!

Please write your opinion and thoughts about Teleport and the mobility of the Wizard and how these could be improved, and like this thread.

3 Likes

There was actually a thread made a while back regarding this discussion:

2 Likes

It is not even the Teleport as skill but it’s pathing which basically is broken. You click on area where you shouldn’t teleport and you won’t TP insted of TP’ing into next (closest) allowed area. This hasn’t been fixed since like forever. If that was fixed, then you wouldmn’t be stuck in same place trying to find correct spot to TP.

Recently, haha.
I made that thread almost half a year ago, but thanks for bringing it up again.

My point was basically to give Teleport 2 charges instead of a cooldown and reduce the recharge rate from 11 seconds down to 8 seconds, just like Dashing Strike.

2 Likes

Would also be nice if when using AW it didn’t still have almost a full second of cooldown.

3 Likes

I think the easiest way would be to drastically reduce the cooldown of Teleport.

Furthermore, some runes that are never used could be changed. For example:

Change Reversal to a better Aether Walker: Teleport no longer has a cooldown but costs 10 Arcane Power.

Fracture: When you use Teleport, your movement speed is increased by 66% for 6 seconds.

Illusionist: When you use Mirror Image, Slow Time, or Teleport, your damage and attack speed are increased by 10% for 6 seconds, and damage taken is decreased by 20% for 6 seconds.

2 Likes

Pathing is an issue.
Long teleport animation is an issue there should be none if we have cool down on it.
Cooldown is an issue toooooo long.
Thats why players are so addicted to chantodo vyr, because it lets you move freely, theres no other pushing spec that allows that.

2 Likes

That definitely is the easiest change.
I still would prefer to have the CD lowered in addition to give Teleport 2 or 3 charges. That would make the Wizard feel more like a Mage/Sorcerer, while still being balanced.

That is a great idea.
I think 10 AP is a bit too low. 15-20 AP seems okay, tough.

The Barbarians Leap has that issue as well, since he can’t leap over things like rocks/boulders or certain cliffs (just like the Wizard). But that issue has more to do with the coding of the environment than the skills themselves, I think.

The Archon teleport has a much faster animation at higher attack speed. It was fixed to scale with attack speed in 2.4.3. The animation itself is actually crazy fast, you’ll notice it if you run Cosmic Strand with Vyr’s. At least with Archon teleport, the problem isn’t the animation length: it’s the fixed minimum cooldown even with Aether Walker. The cooldown is far and away the limiting factor. If they removed the cooldown, Archon teleport at high APS would be crazy fast, basically like an R4 dash monk.

The regular (non-Archon) teleport is a different story. From some of Riv’s old datamines, it looks like there’s code for the regular teleport animation to scale with APS too. Except it doesn’t, it has a fixed 32 frame animation length.

It might help if they made regular teleport animation scale with IAS too. But outside of running Vyr’s, it would be tough to get enough IAS to actually see a noticeable improvement in the teleport animation length. And it would actually be slower for low APS builds. The fixed 32-frame teleport animation would occur at around 1.6-1.65 APS. At a standard 1.54 APS (1.4 weapon + 10% IAS paragon), the teleport animation would be slightly slower (34 frames) than the fixed 32 frames now. However, if it scaled with APS and you wanted to TP faster, you could start stacking IAS (e.g. Echoing Fury). Might be worth the trade-off.

And a bit of a side-note, I dunno if you’ve ever watched frame-by-frame playback of the teleport animation, but the teleport itself occurs over a single frame. At one frame you’re at your original location, and in the next frame you’re at the new location. Then the camera pans over a few frames to catch back up with you. The wind-up (an instant turn-step after the skill activation and then a slow leg lift before you step into the aether) before you actually teleport is the slowest part of the animation. Shortening the wind-up animation would help. But even with a faster animation, you’ll be largely limited by the fixed minimum cooldown.

Removing the cooldown would really be the best way to help. If you want a rough way to check to see what that would feel like with the current teleport, run Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac + Aether Walker + Calamity with teleport as your only cooldown skill. TP: Calamity with Aether Walker will trigger Obsidian ring if you hit something with your TP, and if the short fixed minimum cooldown on TP (w/ Aether Walker) is your only cooldown, an Obsidian ring proc will cancel it. So you can sorta see what a no-cooldown teleport would feel like by continuously TPing onto density with Obsidian ring + Calamity + Aether Walker.

So right now we can get an idea what a faster animation teleport would look like (Vyr’s Archon at high APS with Aether Walker + Cosmic Strand) and no-cooldown teleport look would look like (TP: Calamity + Aether Walker + Obsidian ring). Currently, we have no way of experiencing both of those effects together.

I’d like to see at least one of those changes make it into the base skill. Because let’s face it, outside of specific speedrunning scenarios (e.g. Sprinter/Speed Racer), you’re never going to run either of those setups in a viable DPS build. They require a pretty specific set of items and skills to function, and it’s not really realistic in a standard rift setup.

I think they introduced that annoying mini cooldown to prevent spamming or, as they would have called it, “accidental/unwanted repetitive casting” of Teleport with Aether Walker. But if you ask me, this is annoyingly unnecessary, hindering and has to go. Not that I’m too fond of Aether Walker. I hate this item, because it’s an eyesore band aid that should never have come into existence. If only Teleport on its own wasn’t such an unnerving, crippled failure.

It’s also insane, that you actually need Aether Walker, have to use the Calamity rune and must wear/cube ORotZ to get Teleport to a semi-acceptable level (pathing issues excluded). That is something that should be default.

But I already wrote enough about the Teleport issue in that old topic Oblivion linked in their post.

I am okay with a mini cooldown on TP, however, I definitely think the current one is too long.
It should be 1/2 or 1/3 of what it currently is.

1 Like