Pet Suggestion!

Pets are great at collecting gold.

What if we had a pet or item that automatically converted all loot below Ancient to their crafting materials? That would be a great time saver!

These poor little pets having to do everything because their master is lazy. :dog2:

7 Likes

New suggestion.

Our follower is now also picking the loot on the floor for us, and we can ask them to deliver these loots to our personal blacksmith, so he can salvage it for us while we are fighting hordes of the monsters.

2 Likes

Like Torchligt? Your pet selling your stuff. Crazy.

Cube a Puzzle Ring for its actual power and get a treasure goblin to run around with you, picking up the white items (only - a shame, it could be made to grab blues and yellows); after some specific number of pickups, it vomits a better item.

Hey let’s go one step further and have a pet that runs GR’s for us, while we craft new items with the items the other pets salvaged for us. Now that would be a nice QoL change. Oh wait. We have those already. I think they are called bots! :rofl:

2 Likes

I say no, because a well rolled non ancient would be better than ancient items that are terrible due to not having the right affixes and are rolled poorly.

4 Likes

Whenever you’re thinking of Quality of Life (QOL) changes, there is a fine line between automating repetitive steps and botting.

The pets automate a process where, in D1 and D2, you have to manually click on each pile of gold, walk over to it, and pick it up. It’s very time-consuming to have to stop between combat all the time for these clicks for something you’d always want to pick up.

What you don’t want to do is create a system where the automation is making decisions for the player. What you’re suggesting is that the pet would automatically pick up all gear, then automatically salvage it all without looking at it to see if it might be an upgrade. You’re automating the decision to pick up or not pick up an item, automating the evaluation of the items, determining they’re all useless without any player attention, then automating the decision to keep or destroy it. This is a bad idea.

Where you might find sympathy is with a request for pets to pick up crafting mats. Because they fill no space in your inventory, there is no need to decide whether to pick them up or not. You always want to pick them up. In this sense, they’re like gold in the current design. I’d have no problem (in fact, I’d be grateful) if the pets would auto-pick up crafting mats.

You could not do this with gems because they involve a decision to manage your backpack’s inventory. IMO, the area pick-up for gems is sufficient.

A few things come to mind…

1. Before level 61 or 70 (whatever the limit is on when an Ancient can actually drop), if you’re using a pet, you can’t pick up any legendary item because it will be automatically salvaged. This applies to items that drop as well as those from caches like Horadric and Haedrig. In short, it handicaps you because you cannot even attempt to get a legendary item without either disabling your pet or going to Kadala/crafting one.

2. The only items that get left on the ground are ancient+ quality. That may seem an improvement but if you’re looking for, say, a specific item that is somewhat hard to get then you now are back to #1 and your options to get it are drastically reduced because you will have to craft/upgrade/reforge so you’re forcing more bounties with more items you cannot actually collect.

Sure, but just because you can have a pet or item that does that or has that ability, you can opt not to use it. Just like you can not select a pet or follower if you don’t want to.

Pets picking mats should be a nobrainer QoL upgrade. I know some people call even that too much automation which is of course nonsense. Mats don’t take any normal inventory space and yes, you’d always want to pick them up.

Hell, I’d be happy even with mere “run over” autopickup.

2 Likes

Make it a specific pet and change pets!

When was the last time you looked at white, blue or yellow items before you insta-salvaged them at the blacksmith? Such a pet would just save you clicking the three salvage buttons at the smith and prevent your inventory ever filling up with things you’re just going to turn into materials anyway.

3 Likes

I do when:

• Leveling to 70
  • Early at 70 before I had all slots filled with legendary/set for myself and main follower
  • While seeking specific items for my build, I’d save the base yellows and upgrade in the cube, then salvage the rest. My necro this round, for example, probably upgraded nearly 100 1H scythes to get 1 ancient Trag’Oul’s Fang weapon, for example, and I still fish for better Flavor of Time amulets nearly all season every season because trying to get decent ones is an RNG nightmare.

I completely understand what you’re saying though, and what I’d suggest is that Blizzard simply offer a “Salvage All” option that clears out everything but the legendary/set items in 1 action w/ hard stop to verify. 2 clicks vs 6. As a side note, I’d also want them to change the UI slightly so you can visually see in the verification dialogue box no one reads that it’s different from the others. Perhaps, using a white, blue, or yellow background image on the dialogue for the individual buttons and a different color for the “Salvage All” so you don’t misclick.

Thoughts?

This, except when you are looking for stuff to upgrade and then you just switch out the Pet so the stuff is not automatically salvaged.

I am going to call PETA some of you just want to abuse your pets and I will not sand for it. :fox_face: :raccoon: :hamster: :rabbit:

1 Like

PETA = Pickup Everything To Autosalvage

3 Likes

That is not a solution - if a specific pet can do it, it exists already. The treasure goblin summoned by a Puzzle Ring.

I would much rather have this than the pets picking up mats. When speed running, pets do miss out on a lot of gold. Throw mats into the mix and they would miss a lot more items.

The vacuum system would work great for mats as it does for gold and shards. It also gives more purpose to the pick-up radius affix.

No that is completely different. Puzzle Ring is just more stuff you have to salvage. The idea is to stop having to waste time turning that junk into salvage.