Patch Notes for DH sets

Natalya’s Vengeance (2-piece bonus):

Hitting an enemy summons a Spike Trap if it is on your action bar. Each Spike Trap detonation restores 1 Discipline.

Makes sense, I guess, but I think its value will unfortunately depend on an ICD. Otherwise you could spam multishot or something and gets oodles of traps. Is there any point to the Discipline part of this? Maybe to allow you to spam Smoke Screen?

Is everyone thinking we’ll use Strafe to trigger it? I assume Strafe triggers Spike Traps, too, but maybe you don’t want to be triggering Spike Traps non-stop?

Natalya’s Vengeance (4-piece bonus):

Laying a Spike Trap grants 60% damage reduction. The duration of this bonus is always equal to the number of already laid traps in seconds.

This is super dumb and super annoying. It should just be a flat 10 seconds. As is, first one gives 0 seconds, second gives 1 second, etc. Unnecessarily complex for something boring like damage reduction.

Natalya’s Vengeance (6-piece bonus):

Spike Traps deal 10,000% increased damage, and each consecutive blast from the detonation chain reaction will deal 10% more damage than the previous blast.

This feels low, but maybe there are good ways to make long chains? I don’t know, I haven’t really played with Spike Traps.

Is anyone excited to play this? I’ve never liked Spike Traps, but maybe now someone will come up with a smoother way to use them. Are they consistent? How hard is it to actually hit enemies with them? I have a sense this is going to fall flat on its face.

Unhallowed Essence (6-piece bonus):

Hatred generators, Vengeance attacks, and Multishot deal 1700% increased damage per point of discipline the Demon Hunter currently has.

My only comment here is it’s annoying they didn’t go with 1750 for a clean 5x increase.

1 Like

Strafe is ideal due to the 2pc bonus, its high attack rate, AND automatic detonation.

This too is compatible Shadow’s Mantle.

I have done some tests and crunched some numbers for a few scenarios.

Today, pre 2.7.5, I was able to detonate a Spike Trap for 3.2 trillion damage in perfect conditions with: Chanon Bolter cubed, Demon Demise and Dawn in hand. Captain Crimson/Aughild on a Cold CoE cycle in an oculus ring w/ Taeguk, Trapped, Steady Aim, Cull, Ambush.

Now… this means 86.4T peak hits post buff.

And if I redo the gear to include S2, we are looking at something like 900T hits at 4APS.

So my prediction on what we can expect from the PTR at 40k dex:

• Aughild/Crimson = GR135-140
  • S2 = GR150-155

They are looking at it as 1.17^10 and picking the closest percentage.

2 Likes

Spike Trap also has the Custom Trigger rune, where generators also blow up traps. But yeah probably Strafe will be ideal for the 2p bonus. Maybe we’ll se a Nat’s 2 God 6 build? Is it possible?

I’m thinking they’re going to give Nat’s the same treatment as they did Marauders when your sentries did 400% damage, in that it won’t work with Shadow.

I’m just saying, don’t get your hopes up about mixing S2/N6.

Sir, I think that Multiple Unhallowed Essence still needs to buff 5 tiers(6-P 1700%→3500%) to gain an advantage in the competition with Hungering Arrow.What is your opinion,sir?

Good call, except they did it even dirtier.

The Shadow’s Mantle (2-piece bonus):

• While equipped with a melee weapon, all damage is increased by 6,000%.
  • While equipped with a melee weapon, the damage of your Bolas, Chakram, Fan of Knives, and Impale is increased by 6,000%.
1 Like

The number you suggested is correct to balance with Akkhan, Typhon, PoJ, Twister, HotA, Marauder, WoL, but you get to a situation where Multishot has too much portable raw power. The very best players will take Multishot to GR145 @ 1700%. The question is, what are we targeting for top end push, and is Multishot the ideal skill for it?

Multishot’s high skill requirement is good. As I said, at 3500% we are going to be doing 2-3min 125s and 4min 130s

Maybe the solution is 2500% per Discipline point and a Utility feature for high push?

Activating Preparation pulls all enemies together within 30 yards, restores and doubles your max discipline for 5 seconds.

This lets you burst density every 22.5 seconds, which won’t help much in speeds, but you’ll be able to clear much quicker in GR145+.

This also greatly increases the value of the Channeling pylon.

Despite, I feel all builds will pale in comparison to Wizard’s Tal Rasha Meteor. Everyone who I spoke to about these patch notes knows this build overshadows the others in the patch notes — many want it nerfed so they can mix it up more without feeling counterproductive.

1 Like

Mr.Dmkt.
The operation of Hungering Arrow is simpler than Multishot. Only if the Multishot fast clear 115~130GR is more efficient than Hungering Arrow can encourage players prefer Multishot. I still propose buff Multishot 3~5 GR (2800%~3500%). As for Tal Rasha, I suggest nerf Mempo of Twilight from 400% to 200%.

2 Likes

Any idea if the 4 max spiketraps active will limit the N2? What about proc rates? Will that influence the "on hit’ mechanic?

If so, an Odessey/Entangled Chain Gang for Spike Custom might be interesting… Debuff and ez att speed. Going to be a tough call for the cube tho. Lots of ways to pump damage.

Also, Impale Impact with HPS but no Karleis could rock the Spike Trap Lightning rune for multiple hits.

Im looking forward to PTR. And the best is that i can test all DH items without starting a new seasonal! :partying_face:

Hey, sadly no room for Channon, Demon Demise and Odyssey’s End.

If you run Strafe and take Spike Trap with lightning, cold, or physical runes will auto detonate.

If you generate traps via Helltrapper, they autodetonate too while strafing.

If N2 behaves like a Helltrapper, which is also ‘on hit’ can assume one proc per attack. But… you never know what to expect.

I am hoping for major Traporhea. :toilet:

Using Strafe might not be the best idea. With GoD and this season’s Impale/Strafe, there are ways to generate hatred, using generators and Karlei’s Point respectively.

As far as I can tell, there’s no real way to keep your hatred up with Strafe/Spike Trap. I mean, I suppose you could use a generator, Prep Punishment and Companion Bat but the latter two are best used in speed builds because they take the place of defense abilities in those kind of builds.

Otherwise, you’re going to have to work Dawn into the build for Vengeance Seethe but then you’re missing either Wraps or Visage of Gunes due to Trag’ouls Coils taking the bracer slot.

You’re also probably going to have to give up CoE for Elusive Ring due to mixing in sets like Aughild’s, Guardian’s and Captain Crimson’s making both Nat’s Ring and RoRG also mandatory.

Anyway, it looks to me like new Natalya is going to be much more glassy than the old Natalya’s and I’m not too thrilled with that.

Best best, to me, for maximum trapage would be to use M4/N6 and hope that the attacks from your Sentries also spawn Spike Traps when you fire skills like Multishot and Cluster Arrow to hit the most amount of mobs. Spike Traps and Sentries also both benefit from Custom Engineering.

At least, that’s what I’m going to be hoping to test.

Edit:

Or you could mix GoD4/N6 if you want to go the Strafe route with probably bola/Freezing Strike for your generator to hit more mobs, it might even be beneficial to use Leonine in the cube instead of Chanon Bolter in that case, pull in my estimation would be better than taunt in that situation.

Edit #2:

Rethinking it, instead of bola it’d probably be best to use Grenades and wear Hellcat Waistguard to spread more Spike Traps with N6/GoD4. With defense from N6 and GoD4 you could probably hang out a little more in the midst of mobs to get the most of Hellcat Waistguard.

It’s not exactly a grenade build but it’s a good substitute. Probably use Grenade Cache and the Grenadier Passive. The other passives would probably be Numbing Traps, Custom Engineering and Cull the Weak.

Gems would be Teaguk for defense and damage, BotT, and Stricken. Anyway, the build is coming together. Can’t wait for PTR to come.

Why no room for those 3 weapons? Dawn a requirement?

I was thinking about a Hellcat/Grenade gen Max AttSpd build. I wonder if each bounce is a new hit and spike proc…

Look at my N6 build. It works perfect. Pixie is character name.

So the first guess was right, dmkt. I’m thinking GoD4 with grenades would probably be better to spread ST around though and build chains. My question then is if N6’s 6 piece is capped or if it builds and builds.

I recall some Crusader shield or something they had to rework because it acted like Stricken. It wouldn’t surprise me if we’d be dealing with a situation like that again.

I dunno. If going hit build for max ST deployment, is it worth targeting things like LoH or other on-hit mechanics?

Don’t forget we have this seasonal power:

“Critical hits grant resource: Mana: 15, Hatred: 5, Wrath: 5, Arcane Power: 3, Fury: 3, Spirit: 5, Essence: 5.”

This with captain crimson will be more than enough to strafe forever without additional sacrifices.

You can play it how DMKT has it setup, or you can play it with F&R and forgo the nats/coe rings. You’ll still have room to fit in any of the 3 neutral sets regardless with or without nats ring.

My gut feeling tells me that it’ll probably be “on hit” with an ICD and most likely capped by the amount of spike traps you can already have out. If they allowed us to cover the entire screen with traps with say a single multishot, the servers will blow up.

This is true, but what I’m talking about is grenades with HW would put hits deeper into a pull than just relying on Strafe. You’d just be hitting the outside of the pull with just strafe while grenades could reach the center and the edges.

Edit:

Tough to decide which rune on Grenades would be better. Grenade Cache would hit a bigger area for the trash, but Cluster Grenades would be better for Guardians probably to focus your ST’s in one spot.

Oh ok, my fault. What scenarios would you want the traps near the back? For a solo push, mobs will be chasing you, so they’ll walk over said traps when placed at the front so that would be more ideal. In solo speeds, you’ll want to kill whatever is in front of you.

I can see wanting to have more control over where the traps end up in group play, though I dunno if giving up a belt slot that works well for crimsons or guardians would be worth it.

Wish we had more info on exactly what the 2pc does and it’s restrictions. We’ll know in a few days though :slight_smile:

Yeah, but I’m thinking N6/GoD4 Grenades will play a lot like GoD6 did before NCS got nerfed. I don’t mean like exponential damage but in that you’ll be gathering pretty big pulls and clearing those and if elites die in the process all the better.

N6UE2 could abuse caltrops/jagged if standing still and hosing grenades. Its going to come down to how they implemented the “on hit” methinks.