Patch Notes for Barbs

How much more damage did WoTW just get? Rend now deals 10k more damage.
15 seconds of rend being applied over the course of 1 second is huge. The 4 piece says rend deals triple the amount of damage, I assume that’ll be stacking with the new 10k buff? All that plus Lamentation.

Mutilate rune on Rend makes enemies take 10% more damage as well, though turns the damage to cold so Idk if that’ll be the rune to pick.

In regards to the other buffs? Anyone have a general idea of how much of a buff it is? IK Hota and SS are currently pretty low damage, will this bring them up to par with EQ or even Vile Charge?

For WOTW I’m thinking we would drop Bul Kathos, use Echoing Fury and Ambo’s with Furnace in cube?

Rend will do a lot of damage.

Also makes me wonder if Bloodlust from Rend will be enough heal and Whirlwind can use something besides Blood Funnel.

Do you need Rend even on your skill bar?

It stands to reason Ambo’s would apply the unruned Rend if you don’t equip Rend on your skill bar. But we won’t know for sure until we test.

I have a question. Will Lamentation with Ambo’s auto apply the Rend twice as well? In theory it should.

Glad barbs finally got some juicy buffs!

It would have been awesome (but I suppose unrealistic) if the buffs to IK HotA could have managed to make it so we actually equip GoJ again, but kicking IB out to use build specific items is pretty cool, I suppose.

Be interesting to see how auto-apply Rend works out, if we even need it on the bar, etc.

Overall I can’t wait to test the changes though!

hmmm I’m not sure about this WW stuff. They are leveraging a lot of defense for alot of offense. I am guessing in push runs pride of cassius will still be worn with ambo’s in the cube. Then you can either wear mortiks or parthans. Then the final question will be to cube either lamentation or mantle of channeling?

-Lamentation in cube will give way more damage.
-Mantle of channeling in cube will help keep you alive which can be a problem already.
-Mortiks may be no good due to downtime on WOTB.

2 Likes

blizz wanted the ww and rend combo. but even back in the day rend just didn’t do anything. I thought to make ww auto do rend without having rend take up a button would have been great. glad they did this

The leverage of offense and defense applies to most classes. Look at how squishy necro is.

I think Rend will work similar to how EQ currently works. Earthquakes pop up even when you don’t have the EQ ability on your bar, but it doesn’t do the same damage. Like all of the modifiers aren’t in affect. I do think we will need rend on our bar and I’m betting the dev’s intended for it to be that way.

I think Lamentation will be mandatory. We’ll keep using the bul kathos blades and cube ambo’s. Mantle will still be used as it’s a strong item.

I’m not sure what the best setup will be for high end GR’s, but I think Lamentation and Ambo’s will become a staple, especially if the damage modifier on Lamentation is multiplicative.

The problem with your Scenario is that lamentation would need max damage range and Freeze on belt. This would become the hardest piece in the build by far. A good pride of Cassius is already hard to get and this just makes it worse. On top of this you loose the auto all resist roll from POC further making this a crazy rare drop. So to sum this up you will not live in high grifts without pride of cassius or captain crimson set.

We will still be able to use IP, it just won’t be permanent. Yes, it’s a very rare roll. Zodiac WW has always needed very precise and rare rolls though.

For the most part, I think using Morticks will work quite well and if you can’t survive, it may be worth to drop IP for stomp, so the freeze roll isn’t necessary and you active parthans with stomp. That’ll lead to a bit more map fishing, but if you’re pushing that high with gr’s you should be used to fishing.

Seeing as to how WW has little problems with group clearing, from my understanding, the rend bit will dramatically improve single target damage, right? Waste 2pc extends Rend to 15seconds, and increases it by 500%, and now Waste 6pc increase that total by 10,000%, and now with ambo’s, whatever that huge damage number is, gets applied instantly over 1 second, every (roughly) 1.5 - 2 second, since whirlwinding will apply rend after the old rend disappears.

WW should comfortably clear 110+ for most players now.

Equipping ambo’s instead of echoing fury in cube should also help with mindless t16 farming (since I notice my 90+ augmented WW barb which cleared 107 in S18 with 800+ paragon kills elites in t16 a tiny bit slower than my mostly-non-ancient UE DH).

[Ambo’s Pride ] (https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/ambos-pride-Unique_Mighty_1H_012_x1)

• New Legendary Power: Attacking with Whirlwind also applies Rend and the total damage of Rend is dealt over 1 second

Could Ambo operate as such?

Every enemy suffering from Rend will also suffer the total damage of Rend per second?

Or

Is it a STD mechanic that is only inflicted on a single target via WW?

The base rune states all enemies in a 12 yard radius. It must be at least that!! unless they change the way the game has always been.

Based on the wording, every enemy that gets hit with WW gets Rend applied, and consequently, all 15seconds (from Wastes 2pc) damage condensed into damage over 1 second, and then when they get hit with WW again, they get another application of Rend.

This is only if you manually cast Rend. I believe, from the wording of Ambo’s Pride, the monsters which get hit by WW get Rend, and not spilled over into 12 yard radii around each mob.

I think you’re right.

1 Like

Whirlwind Barb with Buffs + Rampage Season = MOVE OUT THE WAAAAY! Talk about fun! Thanks for the work boys :smiley:

3 Likes

I… I… I can… spin to win again?
See you on Thursday!

3 Likes

Although these buffs are undoubtedly good from a performance perspective, they also clearly illustrate what Diablo 3 became a long time ago, a quick paced looter-shooter rather than a ARPG game, sadly.

Automation of skills and characters running like Sonic the hedgehog defying gravity like weightless cartoon characters fits perfectly into a game that is designed to beat a timer, but makes a terrible ‘arpg’ experience.

An unquailified guess is that the ‘whirldwind build’ is a rend build now, whirlwind serving as a nuke application-slave, but it’s not really rend(dot) either but another nuke. I’ve been burnt-out on these builds for a long time, it’s the Vyr/Chantodo barbarian brainless version and as such represent the evolution(or rather devolution) of so called arpg-gameplay(Path of exile, sadly went down the same road and became a looter-shooter).

On the positive side I am looking forward to the Seismic Slam & hota buffs, and what they could bring/enhance in the different builds utlizing them, these skills still somewhat represent the hack’slash gameplay that is left within the class( i suppose generator skills too, if it gets a proper set).

2 Likes