One shared vs personal loot compromise I would consider

that or with friends or a party that is willing to give the loot to the person who needs it.

do u think i want morons in my party doing nothing making the enemies get more hp and do more damage and then on top of that have them just stack MF? and then tele on anything good that drops.

personal loot in d2 is a terrible idea
if personal loot was GOING to be implemented for 1-2 seconds would rather it go to the player who did the most damage to said mob. and then THEY get 1-2 priority.

but even that wouldn’t work on bosses or elites, because of things like static

I do honestly agree with you overall as stated above and shared loot is my personal preference.

My suggestion is just in the hopes that if they do implement something like this a really short timer can stop the leechs from flying in fast enough to claim stuff they didn’t fight for.

overall “personal loot” is a flat out terrible idea any way you slice it.

even my suggestion of it going to the person who does the most damage is susceptible to greifing by 1 higher lvl players going in and AOEing all there mobs and grabbing the good lot when u dont want them to.

i mean people were yelling at me for “charm inventory” which is flat out a QOL increase with no effect on balance"

personal loot would be a QOL DECREASE. as it would make it it a million times easier to be a “leecher” and stack mf… this would be terrible for the players who are contributing and killing stuff. and now they cant even grab the loot of what they kill before some leecher jerk tele’s on top of it?

there are things that are a bad idea becuase while they might be a nice qol improvement there is no good way ti implement them without completely breaking balance. aka removing immunities and lowering to 99.99%

there are idea that need to be changed because by not chaning them the system wont work. aka dclone

there are idea that have no downside like shared loot or shared stash that don’t affect balance in any way just make it easier to pick up stuff rather than having to press I and shove it in your cube every time.

but this? shared loot? it not only does nothing productive… it ACTIVELY make the game WORSE.

this is flat out terrible even my “best case scenario” of how it could be implemented is worse than not having it.

It is D2R and not D2. You want a carbon copy of D2 play D2. D2R is bringing changes. It is not only graphics. It also includes changes to stash size, no character expiration. It is not 1:1.

You probably neglect the fact that we will have a gloabl server. This creates huge issues in relation to server proximity and ping. This greatly impacts the ability of various players to get loot when it is a free for all.

This is a significant mechanic change where the old rules of loot create huge problems.

No, it is mathematical proof that personal loot promotes a robust trading. In addition, it discourages leeching and autopicker hacks.

In conclusion, personal loot is more fair and discourages leeching, cheating, and issues caused by ping.

Nope. I have shown why mathematically this is wrong. Personal loot makes leeching less of a problem.

2 Likes

How is stacking magic find leeching? It directly improves drop chances if you get the last hit. That means they are actively doing something useful for everyone. At least know how the game works if you are going to act like you know what is best for it.

1 Like

I think a distributed loot mechanic would work. As loot spawns, it is dealt out like cards in a poker game, even multiple drops from a single monster or chest. You’d see less items drop versus shared drops, but the items that you see are for you alone to pick up. The items can then be dropped on the ground for others, traded or whatever.

1 Like

People are not as concerned with leechers as they are with economy. Leeching already happens now on current live. Personal loot however, would have to necessitate a mechanic change in multiplayer - namely, the no drop mod breakpoints for more players in game which tells the game that there are more players and to generate more loot. It would need to be changed to a general MF buff for the party. This would not affect single player offline, which would just use the normal mechanic.

That said, original concept for shared loot (other than possible tech limits of the time) was to actually gasp split the loot, and with limited resource space, you had to. You were never meant to grab and store everything for another character or for general hoarder’s purpose. Players quickly found a work around by the creation of mule characters and turned the system into a FFA.

In any case, it is what it is. No use in really worrying about it until it comes out.

Sure but again the only real and main issue I have with that is way way too many players that stand off to the side and back are going to be dealt out loot without playing. Am totally cool with them leeching experience but not stuff others are actually playing for.

Thats when everyone hostiles the leecher and kills them. :smiley:

Another thought is to make the distribution party based. Party member being a leech? Kick 'em out of the party. They can still kill stuff if they want and get their own drops, their drop rate will be nerfed to 1 player drop rates, but the monsters will be much harder to kill.

I was actually just about to say the game has an effective method of making people drop out of the game: Hostile them.

2 Likes

I was just thinking back to my experience in D3 for a moment. I never really experienced any moment of major leeching back then. I’ll admit, not exactly up to snuff with RoS, as I really only put a couple hundred hours into it as opposed to the thousand or so of D3 base, but I remember key farming in parties where most people pulled their weight, as well as clearing acts where people pulled their weight too. The most leeching I remember seeing was when fighting ubers when people kept dying and were not prepared gear wise for them, but they were trying still. Loot 2.0 killed D3 to me, otherwise it was still an enjoyable game, despite the itemization not being up to snuff compared to D2.

I enjoyed d3 lots myself sunk a bunch of hours in it as well. It is enjoyable in a bit of a different way than D2 for me.

Leeching is significantly less prevalent in D3. But part of this is because of the vote kick option and a community that’s constantly in a rush and only wants to play with you if you run very specific builds that run in line with finishing everything in the fastest time possible because that’s how all the mechanics are designed.

It’s still fun in its own way but it doesn’t have the same chill fun vibe D2 did.

1 Like

I think launch D3 was the best time of the game, if it wasn’t for the terrible drop rates tuned to balance Auction Houses, and Inferno being a bit overtuned and hard to gear for to the point of just using the auction house. AH was a neat idea to combat third party RMT, but didn’t work out. I tried rifting for awhile in RoS, but it felt lifeless to me. Diablo 3 did do some things right though, personal loot was good until Loot 2.0 where everything rained down on you and forced BoA with the exception to those within the game when the item dropped.

D3 fell into the same trap that post 1.10 D2 did though, the sets overshadowed all else, even the uniques (kanai’s cube did try to salvage giving uniques their place) just like the runewords overshadowed the sets and uniques in D2.

people run hell chaos games for exp, its the fastest way to reach 60 for hell baal, if u grush to act 4 hell.

now thats fine i have no issue with this… because these players normally stay at a safe distance away because they don’t want to die.

same for baal runs, the person doing all the work and doing the run is killing the vast majority of the monsters

and yeah people just sit at a safe distance and gain exp for free, thats how chaos and baal runs work

but the person killing the monsters is ALSO closest to the loot, so if I’m doing a run to help out a bunch of people and then something drops from a monster i kill. i don’t want to leecher have 1.5 extra seconds to tele in and grab it out from under me.

people who are leech KNOW that they don’t get a lot of the loot because they aren’t doing any work. they are getting exp, and they are getting the drops the runner, (who likely has much better gear considering he is running the game killing everything) doesn’t want.

WHY do you think people are willing to help other people out and do chaos runs for lower lvl chars… its BECAUSE with more players in the game more loot drops. meaning the person running is willing to help others because they get the benefit of more loot and very likely are closest to said loot when it drops.

wtf do u think is going to happen if u suddenly make “personal loot”
i sure as hell am not going to Run chaos for people anymore.
the ENTIRE reason people were willing to do that was they got first dibs on the loot. THAT is MAIN incentive for the runner, they get more drops.

and u suddenly want to take away that incentive so the LEECHERS who aren’t doing anything, who are already getting free exp, and who are already getting pretty good items that the runner doesn’t want… you want to give THEM their own personal loot.

i will never run public choas runs again…
no one would EVER let you leech again because now u just made the game harder. and the person doing the work isn’t getting his reward for doing the work.

when i say this would be a QOL decrease its because you are STEALING items from the person DOING ALL THE WORK. from the guy dong all u exp leechers a favor? and now you want to take their items too?

you want to grab the loot… then BE IN THERE AND HELP!!!
its not that hard of a concept.
if u want to hide and not contribute… then u DON’T get to take loot away form the people who ARE doing the work

I see where you are coming from, and understand. However, part of the issue here is a rush culture mentality you you play into here. I would say that the game’s fundamental core was not to rush, and to play through the game the way it was designed and hit the milestones you were supposed to hit. Hence why there were efforts made to prevent characters from being in zones that they were not meant to be in. Of course, I would say the devs chose not to fight that battle anymore as it wasn’t worth their time.

Not saying you are wrong in helping people rush and level under the honor code of mutual beneficence (I help rush and level you, I get first dibs on drops which will be more in higher player count games). But it is still a clash to how the game was meant to be played.

With that said, this is an old game, and very repetitive in nature of completing act quests that held useless rewards, which might play into this culture as well. With D2R bringing back a classic game for a modern age, the hope would be continued support and perhaps this rush culture should be diminished and that if it didn’t exist, then players when they reach that point where they NEED to do hell chaos and Baal to level (IE they are already at the level they should be at that point and to level further, those are the best places), then everyone is able to participate and you would have less of a leech culture.?

No cheat will be tolerate in this game if someone you think is using pickit there will be a way to report them. Its not original D2 all the Bnet 2.0 feature will make those kind of thing not doable or you will get ban for it.

You can, budget MF gear is really easy to get. Farm gems in Lower Kurast and gem shrines in act 1 till you have 2-6 perfect topazes and just put them all in a 2/3os helm and armor. Bam, decent budget MF gear to get you started. You don’t even need to go that far either, you can shop great MF gloves and boots from Charsi and Fara which work great too.

To me this reads like you haven’t actually played much Diablo II. You don’t need endgame gear to MF. Dealing with immunes as Sorceress isn’t that difficult. If you farm the right areas/bosses finding decent items isn’t that hard. They aren’t handed to you like in D3, but they aren’t impossible.

Dude, I get that you disagree, but insulting a whole community that’s been active in this game for 20 years is a bit overboard. This remaster is meant to be a nod to the original game and for the original Diablo II community. Wanting/expecting a significantly different game just because you weren’t very good at it or didn’t like it or whatever is pretty silly. If you have so many problems with the original game, why did you even preorder D2R?

I’ll add to this with a quote from the D2R Deep Dive:
“This is really a true nod to the original game. We want to preserve that game and the structure of that game as much as we can, and if we went with the remake it would be a completely different game.” - Chris Amaral

I think you’re confused. Remaster essentially means same game, upgraded graphics, maybe some QoL changes here and there. Very little to no change in actual gameplay. Remake is when they recreate everything from the ground up and are much more liberal in the changes they make to the game.

Another great quote from the Deep Dive:
"I kind of look at it a little like Starcraft: Brood War, which also had a remaster, and how it’s like. A lot of the pathing bugs, and the duds from the reavers and all of the things in the game that were kind of awful, are what make the game beautiful and what make the game super balanced.

If you were to go and remake it and remove some of those issues it would change how the whole entire game plays, and so I felt like with Diablo II that’s kind of the same idea, you’ve got to keep some of those difficult details because then it ends up creating the overall experience that we all know and love." - MrLlamaSC

This isn’t a good argument, no mod could ever achieve the scale this remaster is offering and you know it. You’re comparing some guys modding in their spare time to a billion dollar company. Even the devs said it was incredibly challenging.

Besides, I can make this point right back at you if I wanted. Don’t like the gameplay of D2? Play one of the many mods that significantly change the game like MedianXL, PoD, PD2 and more.

I get what you’re saying but I think Pickit is a bit tricky to report. It’s pretty tough to tell if someone is just grabbing loot really fast or using Pickit in game. Botting is a lot easier to deal with reporting wise.

I’m hoping pickit won’t be an issue but whether it is or isn’t this is a compromise I could live with.

why not just change the complete game if you want shared loot crap go to d3 where you get all loot in about 40 games THIS IS D2 NO SHARED ANYTHING , KEEP THE PANZIES IN D3

1 Like