OK, Hot for the new 13" MacBook Pro with new M1 Chip

Apple released new hardware today, with their new Silicon, the M1 chip. Looks like even the MacBook Air would run diablo. But it has no fan. The new 13" MacBook Pro has a fan, and I am thinking of getting one - and assume it will run Diablo OK from what They said - no recompiling needed to run old software. Of course, Diablo would scream if reprogramed to run specifically with the new M1 chip…

Any thoughts??

THANKS in advance! :slight_smile:

Presently it won’t run natively, it will run under Rosetta 2. Blizzard hasn’t come out and said whether they’ll be creating universal binaries to run on both Intel and ARM. I hope they do! There is a history though for those of us that remember… back when Apple made the switch from PPC to Intel they did create universal binaries for WoW. A LOT has changed since then (as we’re talking nearly 15 years ago) but hopefully they’ll do it again for all current games.

2 Likes

Thanks KAUFEEnx
info- also - Early benchmark for the M1 ( Beats the 16" with i9 )

• from an apple insider article. can’t post the link

Hi:

You need to convert the link to preformatted text for it to be acceptable to the forum.

• Put the link in your reply as you would normally
  • Highlight the entire link and
  • Click on the </> button on the formatting bar at the top of the reply window.

Your readers won’t be able to click the link, but they will be able to copy-paste it in their browser.

1 Like

It seems as thought Blizz has been ahead of the game on getting a native client(non-Rosetta) ready for the Apple M1 platforms in time for the SL release. I hope that this is just as straight forward for the D3 client as well.

[edit] Although Big Sur may still present some issues…

1 Like

D3 is not making money for them and they don’t have the resources. WoW has metal support and D3 still has not. I would rather they spend the resources for D4 Mac support. If they decided to do that.

4 Likes

D3 results have made it to reddit. Looks like just over 60 fps at medium settings and resolution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/jw3e1c/game_benchmarks_for_m1_mac_mini_with_8gb_ram/

https://imgur.com/gallery/An2PNkc

1 Like

D3 is not working for me on a M1 Mini. I keep getting failure to initialize.

1 Like

Did you read the post above from Artemis? he has a tip or two running D3 on an M1 Mini

It won’t even load for me. I think some else in another Mac forum got it working. I’ll ask some questions there.

1 Like

I just found this page because I’m having the same issue (Failure to initialize). Any luck finding a solution?

what connection are you using displayport or HDMI? I ordered a DisplayPort cable to see if hdmi is the issue.

1 Like

I’m using a MacBook Air.

But I solved the problem… simply updated the OS :weary:

1 Like

I’m running beta, maybe next build will fix it then? I reported to apple.

1 Like

Not sure how they don’t have the resources given that D3 is one of the best selling games of all time (#20 at least, according to wikipedia’s list). Even if they aren’t making money off it right now, they could’ve made a 2nd expansion pack to prime the money pump.

Given that Overwatch never made it to the Mac, I have some serious doubts about D4 on the Mac. I would love to be wrong on this, but it just doesn’t seem likely.

1 Like

There are more ARM devices than Intel Macs. It will be interesting to see if they will let Immortal run on M1 Macs.

1 Like

I have serious doubts that Blizzard is dropping support for Apple because there are no Blue Posts on this tread.

1 Like

You mean you have doubts Blizz is KEEPING support for Apple? They are still a large market and without an immediate way to run PC apps on Apple Silicon, that will be the ONLY way to make money off of Apple users. I think with the new HW only being out for a month or two and COVID, they are just catching up.

1 Like

Just got the new MacBook Pro. Playing at max settings getting a FPS of 58-59. Dropping down resolution one notch, getting FPS of 100-140. Wow, amazing. Made me fire up a seasonal hardcore barbarian for the first time since Season 3!

2 Likes

The latest beta fixed the failed to initialize bug on the M1 Mini. The game had the same settings as my 2017 iMac. It is running about 60fps @ 1440. My iMac doubled that fps. But I always had v-sync on. No difference for me. I don’t have time to play much, just to check most things are working.

1 Like