OK After Looking At Definitions

Is Using Num Lock Bannable? I mean it does meet the definition of a Keyboard Macro doesn’t it?

Num lock, no. You use your keyboard

Tier app, yes. You may be using external software that can help you and it’s against CoC

1 Like

The num lock feature has been advocated by several content creators (like on youtube videos).

Simply “Using your keyboard” is not a sufficient excuse. There are keyboards that enable programmable macros which are against CoC.

Usually there’s 2 main criteria for banning macros:

1. The Macro does something that is not possible to do otherwise (The Numlock trick isn’t any different to just mashing the key so wouldn’t count)

2. The Macro lets the game play itself automatically (The Numlock trick doesn’t do this as it only uses a single skill repeatedly. You still need other inputs to play the game)

So technically, it can be considered to be a Keyboard Macro and against ToS, the actual functionality is not such that it warrants banning.

1 Like

Considering how bot infested the ladders are it seems you can get away with a lot more than just a simple macro. Using Num Lock is within rules, that is using a standard keyboard and Diablo is a PC game by design.

Read my post, correctly, and come back.

Using the numlock trick is technically within the rules as others have stated.

I personally refuse to use it as I’m against this sort of automation by principle. If a build relies on using the numlock trick to be playable, it’s a bad build in my eyes.

6 Likes

Armchair lawyers debating ambiguous rules

:popcorn:

2 Likes

The numlock “feature” is for the weak.

2 Likes

Also, the numlock trick also works in D4.

Just sayin’.

Numlock saves certain spam builds from tennis elbow. Nothing wrong with trying to save my tendons :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

And what about people who have Tendonitis? Which D 3’s Incessant Left Click Right Click already’s given me? Fourth Season Uliana Build :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

For the last 10 years and I would change it to many streamers show it’s safe.

I know for a fact that Leviation the Blizzard employee and streamer uses a macro when towning to clear his backpack insta fast.

There is nothing wrong with that as well.

3 Likes

There are a lot of builds to play without to have to “left/right click”.

Maybe try to change one of the skill from your mouse to your keyboard

All serious players probably use gaming keyboards…

1 Like

They require software in conjunction with the keyboard though, so that’s not only “using your keyboard”.

You can use the numlock trick for all your skills at the same time, it’s not restricted to one key.

Afaik, there has been no official (or unofficial) blizzard statement on it. In theory it kindof violates the “one key press, one action” line blizzard usually takes in their games, but it’s really not clear to waht extent this applies to D3, and I don’t think the ToS is really of any help either (tos doesn’t specify on this level of detail, but also reserves the right to ban whenever they feel like for any reason).

In practice it’s fine though, a lot of legit content creators are using it publicly, making guides with it, even for it. It’s not considered cheating in the community, and you are never going to get banned for it.

This has been discussed over and over again. No one is going to get banned for using the num lock trick, and even mouse macros and keyboard macros are not going to get you banned. If anything, they could get sued under the ADA if they did that as many people need assistance to overcome physical limitations. Pretty much the only thing that will get you banned for sure is if you run a program concurrently that alters game play… AKA botting. Turbohud also falls in this category. Many Youtubers have demoed the Numlock trick and I have yet to hear of anyone being banned for this.

2 Likes

I try to smile and giggle now and then, but I just use my laptops built in keyboard.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I should have written that some players use gaming keyboards. I started playing D3 on a laptop too. It started to become too slow, so that in multiplayer once I had loaded the next level the rest of the team were far ahead…