Offline mode is needed

But if that is true then Blizz would’ve said something about it by now. Since they didn’t then they won’t put an offline mode into D4.

More than just the loss of sales due to piracy. They would have to spend money trying to shut down those servers. It is what protecting their IP would be about.

It is only a minority of players that are voicing the desire for offline mode.

I fail to see how cosmetics are p2w.

1 Like

Online only isn’t being chosen as the method that leads to the most sales, it’s being chosen because it minimises the amount of lost sales that would happen due to piracy. You can’t pirate the server-side code.

1 Like

That’s my point. He’s calling Blizzard greedy as if they’re going for the way to make the most possible profit - but they aren’t.

Greed can be that you seek short-term profit, even at the cost of long-term profit. So not necessarily about making the most possible profit.
Wouldn’t call Blizzard particularly greedy though, not relative to many others.

Their MTX prices are supposedly fairly high compared to others, which might be greedy. But then… it is MTX, so doesnt really matter.

Because if you have to capacity and ability to make the server handle at least part of game logic, this is

1. completely different engine architecture from single-player
  2. Basically, it already IS an online DRM, and you don’t have any reason to work on a separate offline part that is less secure on top of taking lots of development time.
  3. If you already can run an important part of your gameplay through a server for Co-Op - there’s no reason not to do it for everything.

We are talking not about online-only games with this one here, I remind you.

We are talking about offline co-op games and how co-op gets cracked alongside the base game.

Again, if you HAVE the infrastructure for server-based game - you do it. There’s no reason to lose money and not do that.
If you don’t have it - you go offline and hope for the best.

But making a hybrid, offline for SP and online for Co-Op - is just not worth it.

You’re probably thinking of things like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, where it’s single-player but have a multiplayer mode that runs on the server.
But do remember that this mode is very different from the base game, and is not a worthwhile thing on itself. Nobody buys TR for the multiplayer arena.

Let them.
Those memories and experiences will not lose Blizzard more money than Piracy would.

Oh, you’ll THINK about it. And you’ll decide that D4 is a kind of game that comes out every few years, and missing it because of online DRM will only hurt yourself, and definitely not Blizzard. It will not make any statement or change anything.
So you’ll think about it and will buy it.

Some miniscule number of people would not. Out of principle.
No one in the world would even notice their message or their existence.

missCheetah was the one that pointed out all they care about is money, i just tagged that phrase with the word greed. As far as the extent and flavor the greed present in blizzard you have suggested that they will not succumb to pay2win, but i wouldn’t hold your breath Diablo immortal could very well go down that path (last i heard they hadn’t announced the monetization model).

I’d think it would be obvious at this point that blizzard is going to maximize the games appeal to as wide an audience as they think they can get possibly away with. This is will make them the most money, but at the expense of a lackluster product and a corroded reputation.

Blizzard is definitely targeting a broad audience for D4. 18-35 is a huge age range. In addition to this broad demographic, here are additional groups who blizzard’s target audiences probably are:

1. Blizzard wants to attract people who are interested in a dark fantasy, while simultaneously appealing to people interested in epic fantasy.

2. They want to appeal to fans of the diablo universe, while also opening doors to new comers of the genre.

3. They want to have a game that will run optimally on PC with a keyboard and mouse, but also on console using a game pad, hence console and PC players.

4. They want a game that the casual gamer can enjoy as well as the hard core gamer.

5. They want a game that is part MMORPG and part ARPG, to capture fans of both genres.

6. They want to appeal to players seeking story driven gameplay, while also appealing to players who play games devoid of story elements.

7. They want to appeal to people who like sandbox games and people who enjoy structured games.

8. Blizzard wants to attract Players who enjoy PVP games, and players who prefer PVE games.

9. They are targeting both players who prefer cooperative gameplay, and players who prefer single-player gameplay.

Appealing to this many disparate groups will result in a mess of a game. A game that is convolved with inharmonious design choices which were only intended to broaden the games appeal. Designed to be fiscally optimal, D4 will ultimately result in a disappointing experience to most of those who play it.

If diablo is suppose to be its played with lag, then no wonder blizzard was underprepared for D3s launch. My (apparently garbage opinion) is that Diablo was intended to be played without lag and without random disconnects.

2 Likes

How about those of us that do not or cannot pay the crazy internet bills these days, just to play a game?

Yes cheats will happen, PERIOD offline or online, to sya it has not happened, you would be the “fool” (not calling you one, just saying is all)

pretty pathetic when consolized versions get offline mode for nearly every game, but PC ones “it is impossible”

IMO they can make offline play AND hash everything where the game can detect if it was gotten legit or not legit, when not legit it just “disappears” with no warning.

it is all “in the code”

If they wanted their “art” to be the best possible, they would find a way over looking for excuses to prevent EVERYONE from enjoying the experience offline or no ^.^

1 Like

I would say that buying the game then is probably also out of your price range if you cant afford something like $60 a month for some Internet.
ONLINE ONLY is happening no matter how many threads are created.

maybe not server side code, but you (or whomever did to me and a few others near term first launch and year or so in to D3 launch) were able to steal everything from others account/game so they could line their own game “'pockets”

Security got much much tighter AFTER they removed the seriously fubar attemmpt at the uncontrolled auction house. did not matter that many (such as myself) were forced to start from scratch and lost out many hundred of hour of playtime plus whatever we got “legit” from the game.

granted this way long ago, but still, the point stands.

There can be “bullet proof” security, but, unlikely to ever take place as that would require constant compute and in-grain hashing to make it so.

instead, they (like many) probably prefer folks use them stupid authenticators so they have less “hard work” to be doing, while individuals (such as myself) who paid hard earned (hard to come by) money for the “experience”

ahh well, always going to be folks want the best experience possible out of situations and others that are more along the seeming lines of “it works, who cares leave it alone”

something like that ^.^

I don’t know how this Chaotic Evil slogan caught on.

“You FOOOOLS! Your petty words will change nothing!

It’s no wonder these people think we’re issuing threats, they’ve completely forgotten what forums are for.

3 Likes

When you are told we will not SUPPORT an OFFLINE MODE by Blizzard first hand at their own event at BLIZZCON and the past shows that the company itself dont support an OFFLINE mode for 90% of there games yet you still winge and cry poor that you need it for some idiotic reason like my Internet Bill is to high or What is my Internet goes out , What is i die due to DC in HC. Its no wonder Blizzard dont post back. Why bother when your dealing with a bunch of children who have absolutely not grasp on reality and refuse to see whats right in front of them.
ONLINE ONLY

Do you call the farmer that wishes to sell ALL of his product and have no part of it stolen - greedy?
Do you call a restaurant that has a policy of not feeding people for free - greedy?
I think it is being sensible, not greedy.

Blizzard is a business. Just like any other. They are making a product that is no different from any other item that you buy every day. Or you may think of it as a service.

Wanting to protect themselves against common undignified stealing - is normal.
Downloading a torrent is petty thievery. People engage in it because there is no consequence on the internet. But it’s no different from lifting an apple from a fruit store.

And when a seller makes it impossible for you to steal - that isn’t greed. That’s common sense.

If you made some product, sold it and earned 50 000 dollars - would you be happy?
Would you be happy if you knew that 10% of people stole your product, and if they didn’t you would have had 55k? Would knowing that make you more happy?
If you could prevent that thievery - would you do that? How would you feel if people called you greedy for it?

2 Likes

You don’t play it.
I can’t afford to live in a big house in Miami with a pool and a lawn. I can’t afford to wear expensive gold jewelry. I can’t drive a Bugatti, and I can’t go and have my vacations in a 5* ultra-deluxe hotels.
I just don’t. I don’t go cryinging about it on every corner.

Games is a luxury item. If you can’t afford a particular one - you don’t play it. You don’t go stealing it or demanding the developer compromise their security.
If your internet costs too much - this means that certain number of games are simply not for you

Consoles make their platforms secure. Pc doesn’t. That’s the trade-off of being a modular open system.
You chose either that, or you simply go and buy yourself a console, if your internet isn’t good enough.

Yes, they could easily do that. No one does it now simply because the devs enjoy their hard work being pirated. If they wanted, they could easily have made a perfect offline drm. They just don’t. They prefer to torment you with an online drm instead because they are bullies.
Yeah!

But there clearly is: for making a better game.

No. Not talking about offline coop. Talking about a Diablo game with online servers and offline single player mode. Same game, just online and offline - and no multiplayer offline.

Making a better game is not a valid goal
Making more money is.

You don’t make more money by making a game slightly better in a way that lets people steal from you.

No, greed doesn’t come from trying to make a profit, it comes from abstaining from acts of altruism because they aren’t fiscally optimal.

For example a multimillionaire that refuses to give to charity is greedy. Not because he made a lot of money, but because he doesn’t engage in altruistic activities.

Blizzards policy on D3 is similar. Despite petitioning for years, D3 has yet to have an offline mode on PC. An 8 year old game (D3) has been milked fiscally dry, and yet blizzard still refuses to offer an offline mode despite the fact that any technical challenges in doing so would have already been overcome on console.

3 Likes

Probably needs to get an account; one that can show how “donation” affects IRS return.

Not giving your money away to other people is not greed.

Sooo…
Leaving your stuff unsecured and ready to be stolen - is an act of altruism that they’re abstaining from?

I would never give charity, even if I was a billionaire. It’s against my moral compass.
It doesn’t mean I’m greedy - I would pay good wages and bonuses to my employees. But I would NEVER give stuff for free.

Lack of charity or altruism doesn’t equal greed.
Greed is something that goes the other way. When one is prepared to step over people in order to earn money.
But it’s important for the likes of you to understand that protecting your merchandise does NOT equal stepping over people, even if it inconveniences said people.

I would, but I would be very selective in the charities I donated to. Some are worthy, most are not. Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Meals on Wheels and ASPCA are 3 I would consider. I’m most definitely NOT giving money to the crack head on the corner with a cardboard sign.

1 Like