No Useful Primals

In all the seasons I’ve played I’ve never had such problems getting Primals to drop…especially something I can actually use.

I’m at Paragon 864 and I’ve gotten 5 Primals that were just trash items otherwise meant for Salvaging.

Has anyone else seen such a huge drop off of useful Primals in this season?

By this time I usually get at least a few useful Primals.

And It’s not the RNG either…it’s that nasty code gremlin keeping the good stuff from me.

I suspect they don’t want useful Primals to drop so we can’t carry them over to non-seasonal with 625 Caldesann’s Dispair

I’m about to give up on this Season

3 Likes

Welcome to every seson I ever played :wink:

9 Likes

I was over paragon 1000 before I got my first primal drop not counting the free one. RNG is RNG.

1 Like

Take a break, step away from the table and come back with your luck facing forward.

It’ll start raining upgrades.

Good luck!

It is like always with RNG in that game. I wasn’t really lucky this season. My first and second primal were both Shi Mizus Haori (never had two primal of a kind in a season and then the first two are the same). That item is not even usable with the weaponshards :smiley:

Must be the penalty for getting a primal CoE with crit/crit/mainstat and socket out of the first lvl70 Grift last season

So, you’re two days into the season?

2 Likes

Not everyone burns through the seasonal content in a day or three you know.

Stop being an butthat like that.

So far the only one I have gotten was when I cleared GR70. THAT was 3 days ago. I was also around Paragon 200 at the time. Over 600 now.

It took me awhile to put the gear together to be able to run GR75s in less than 4 minutes. But now I run them back to back. Once I start seeing some Ancient pieces, I will go up again.

But I’m also not in a hurry and take my time.

4 Likes

If you can’t get one good Primal to drop by yourself, I suggest two things to try; one, play in a group to do speedfarms, two, reforge in Kanai’s Cube. Eventually you’ll loot something you’d like.

P2700+ and my Inna monk has 000 ZERO00 Primals equipped.

Meanwhile I saw a P2400+ Inna monk with 8 Primals equipped…going back to what i said last time…Seasonal seeding.

But I got 3 Primals for LoD WoL build which I only play for T16. NOICEEE

1 Like

Ooooh, is this the thread where we show how our monkey-paw wishes backfired?

https://i.imgur.com/VcJtWvS.png
2 Likes

This seasons, I’ve had absolutely abysmal luck. I’ve had 3 primals drop. Not one was in a usable state: a Telranden’s Hand, a Skorn (int), Shi Mizu’s Hoari (sp?). Not one would be useful in any mainstream Necro build and not one was rolled well enough to replace my base legendaries that I have on now. In fact, I haven’t even managed to roll an Ancient yet on any of my main gear. IIRC, it’s still all standard legendaries. <3 dat RNG.

RNG is a constant problem with Diablo. The search space is enormous and even with Smart Loot, the game is designed to generate an enormous number of absolutely crap items. You go through layers of RNG: 1) getting the right quality of item to drop (white, blue, yellow, green, etc), 2) getting the right item to drop, 3) getting the right affixes on the item, then 4) getting decent rolls on those affixes. And then, they add on the 5th layer of RNG of hoping maybe just maybe you’ll get all 4 of those but also on an ancient or primal with another 1-10% chance on those. This is how the game creates a “loot hunt.” Honestly, if it were my game to develop, I’d do it very differently with the search space significantly constrained.

The problem is that things like primals are so rare and the search space is so big, instead of being a great and exciting experience on the rare time they drop and a real source of joy, they’re overwhelmingly a disappointment. ID it, find it’s crap, take it to Haedrig for crafting mats you already have too many of. It’s just bad design.

A couple of suggestions have been put forward: (credit to Raxxanterax for driving this discussion a month or two ago)

• Creating a second chance mechanic with primal essences to let you salvage crappy ones and reroll them
  • Even further limiting the search space with Even Smarter Loot™ (3.0) and making them even rarer to compensate

I’m not sure they’ll ever fix this problem, because from a designer’s perspective, this is the carrot on a stick that keeps you addicted and wanting to play more. For me, however, it’s not a carrot on a stick. It’s an unattainably rare thing that’s usually a disappointment. My odds of finding a decent one are worse than my odds of winning the Powerball - and that’s a tax on people who don’t understand how probability works.

4 Likes

If getting to p800 takes 15h, it doesnt matter if its in 3 days or in 10 days or in 6 weeks, it will still be 15h worth of playtime. Plus within those 15h he prolly also geared up for 5h, then going to run gr 75 and t16’s, in that content the drops wont be massive. I dont get why people say, how can i not have X item when im p600-800. P600-800 aint that much playtime and the total of items dropped is relativly low, so chances of good primals are pretty low.

3 Likes

I was kinda sad that none of my followers can equip my primal bovine bardich.

1 Like

The only follower that can wield a two-handed weapon is the Enchantress, but she can’t wield polearms. Don’t feel too bad about that though, as I believe the Bardiche cannot be re-rolled to INT at the Mystic anyway (it will only offer STR or DEX).

I have some dex Bardiches and they can be rolled to intelligence at the Mystic… but they can’t be used by any of the followers anyway.
Besides that you have a point about OP. Five primals (useful or not) isn’t bad at 800 paragons especially when you look at his profile and it doesn’t look like he’s able (or willing) to run gr 90+.

The Primals drop off seasons ago. On season 19 I got 35 primals, season 20, I got 25. After that I avg maybe 10 to 15 a season.

The primal will drop when it drops. Blizzard never gave any drop rates. All they said that you might have a chance to get one. But just remember there is so call drop rate of 400 for ea primal. But 80% to 90% of the times it doesn’t work. If it did we wouldn’t have Topic’s like this all the time.

I avg about 1100 paragon for a full season. I have about 10 on ea of my accounts and still not 1000 paragon.

1 Like

For me It’s the best primal loot since… a long time.

“Only” 6 primals.
2 are on my main build.
1 is on my second build.
I kept one for non-season or if I decide to play another build.

Others primals are useless.

So 66% of my primal loot is useful.

I :heart: This season

Paragon ~1500

3 Likes

This means you’ve been pretty lucky before, especially considering the pace you seem to be grinding at. It’s only fair that you receive none this season, and possibly even the next, just to balance it out.

As always with these type of questions, the answer is it’s all RNG. No they didn’t nerf the “useful” drops in general and nobody is out to get you specifically. If you had calmed down before posting you would’ve realized just as much.

:rofl:

It’s fine, most of us already have. You’ll be back in the next one for sure though, because nobody has ever quit the game over something as trivial as this.

Welcome to the world of us. So far I got about 30 useless Primal… that is the game.

Where is that something that is expected?

I’m just over Paragon 600, with about 30 hours in this season.

Your point is invalid.

I spent most of that time leveling to 70, then a lot more grinding for the first set pieces. I did not use the free set, I still have the 3 gift bags in my stash unopened.

Yes, I took the hard way. But I’m not in a hurry nor do I need to finish the entire season in a day.

just because some of you can reach Paragon X in X amount of time doesn’t mean everyone will. That’s all I’m saying here.

2 Likes