No community on console w/out KB+M support (long post)

Vanilla D2 vet here who always stuck with D2 when my friends all jumped ship to WoW vanilla but my PC couldn’t handle it.

Perhaps my biggest takeway from Diablo 2’s golden years was the sense of community. All the random player made clans and channels. Leveling together, dueling together, giving each other deals on gear. (Shout-out to Barbarian Alliance from USEast, hope to see you all again next month). And just chatting in channel 1 or 2, or randomly in game.

I understand being on console, controller is native so there needs to be accessibility adjustments, so things are more simplified. --and I’m not asking that we take any of that away.

However, as the game stands, our only option is an “emote wheel” and selecting someone’s profile and inviting them into a party. I was helping in a A1 game where they needed the scroll for Tristram, I sat at Darkwood cleared for 5 whole minutes helpless to inform my team the scroll was ready to grab. I ended up just leaving the game. Same goes for Tomb runs, it’s a guessing game at which portal to take because you literally can’t communicate freely.

I don’t think this is a simple solution of just adding in game microphone chat either. If you’re joining random games it could get noisy, hectic, etc. Especially trade games…and a microphone won’t work for large trade channels etc.

And let’s face it, Diablo 2 is built around the community. Before we needed ruststorm to clear out dupes, all your trading was done by game names and trade channels. We need to encourage a healthy, organic economy. This cannot be done readily without a keyboard to type.

This greatly concerns me and many others from what I’ve seen. If we aren’t given the accessibility we need from KB+M, Blizzard/VV may as well endorse third party sites like D2JSP, d2legit and other RWT sites because you will not have a healthy, ease-of-access, ergonomic trade environment. Especially with how rare some items are, how difficult it is to get the HRs you need for an end game build. (Without trading, especially during a ladder season)

There are other reasons why I think we need KB+M, such as keybinds for serious PvP (although controller mapping may prove more efficient over time), item management like how you can’t pick up items with a full inventory with a cube, because your inventory is full screen so you cannot see the ground. (This could prove to be a very crippling issue for MFers, etc who run full charm inventories with only cube for picking items up). And many other reasons, which only makes sense as this game was designed for PC.

However as stated and I cannot stress enough, the main reason it is NEEDED, is for the community. Trading, communicating, camaraderie, etc.

I think we should have either options available in settings. To just randomly matchmaking find a lobby with your controller and mind your own business; and to use a keyboard and mouse to create games with titles, like PC. Create and join channels, to trade and converse easily. Maybe add some nuances when creating a game with KB+M so that controller layout matchmaking will join in.

If we do not see this implemented, then I’d have to acknowledge that the only reason it came to console was to boost sales for a larger audience. As much as I am enjoying seeing the beautiful work VV has done, without the accessibility to the community, this is not anywhere near the true experience.

I’ll be honest, there would probably be some late nights after work where I just wanna sit back in the recliner and slowly MF with a controller in a private game. But for the majority when I’m leveling, dueling, looking for a mid rune, etc I would surely have a lapboard on me, engaging the community the way it was meant to be. The only way it was truly meant to be.

Diablo 2 is a beautifully social game, built and thriving off player interaction and you have a lot of 30+ year old vets on console who want to reminisce with like strangers over something that played a huge part in their teens or later. Please don’t rob us of that opportunity.

In closing I just want to say, maybe this is already being discussed internally, I truly hope it is. If so, (and even if it is far off from being implemented) please, Blizzard/VV at least give us a black or what answer that it is being considered or that it is not.

TLDR; keyboard and mouse is required for readily communicating towards goals in game, for leisure talk in game/channels, and for trading easily in game/channels. You cannot have a game based on player economy and teamwork to rely on an “emote wheel”.

35 Likes

No offense to you, but it’s already a miracle that they are releasing D2 on consoles…

It’s a PC game through and through.

2 Likes

Even a drop-down menu chat would suffice. The way it is now, it’s impossible for me to chat with anyone. Very disappointing.

6 Likes

Why is it a miracle? They could literally release it on a smart fridge given the time. A console nowadays is literally a lower end PC. It’s just tailored to controllers, there’s no reason why we can’t be given KB+M support.

9 Likes

That’s a pointless response. It’s on the *#&@^@&^@ing consoles now too, so take the elitist PC master race garbage on somewhere.

5 Likes

If they are going to bring it to consoles, then it’s silly not to include keyboard and mouse support. Lazy, honestly. I can plug in a controller on the PC version.

I don’t know about xbox and switch, but I know the PS4 has those mini keyboards that plug into the controller. There are other games that utilize kb&m as well.

Personally, the lobby had better be leaps beyond what was present in this weekend’s beta for consoles and PC. As many have said this isn’t representative of how far into development the devs really are, I hope they are right. I’m not one of those “refund people,” but if they don’t square away some glaring issues I know a lot of people won’t care to play very long.

9 Likes

Diablo 2 is not build on community, any more than a flee market of shady people peddling garbage is. The entire game is build around being greedy, anti social, and hating people. There are no team tactics involved in the game, and the only reason to talk is to try and peddle with bot farmers and cheaters. Or listen to the people complain how some one with a scirpt picked everything up.

Just read these forms lol, if you think that’s a community, i don’t know if you ever seen a functional online community before. You should look at ryzom to see what that looks like.

I dont care about community, but yes, all Diablo games on console should have mouse/keyboard support. Seriously Blizzard.

3 Likes

Apparently you didn’t play in the early patches with constant communication in trade channels to find gear, and people having dedicated channels to offer Baal runs, chaos runs, etc. Or go into a GM duel game, duel and just BS with people.

I randomly met a guy back in 2001/2002 in a public game don’t remember what we were doing, but we became friends and 20 years later I’m still FB friends with him and his brother.

What is antisocial is the layout of newer games where there is no need for communication, etc. Diablo 2 was built off the need for communication to trade for gear. Etc.

9 Likes

Seems like a no-brainer to allow KBM on consoles when PC can do both KBM and controller. In terms of overall communication, I really think Blizzard should be pushing things even further across all of their games.

For both PC and consoles (and it would be especially nice for future cross-play) I think both KBM/ text support and a combined integration with voice chat would be neat. Even if you don’t want to actually listen to a voice chat, you could actually combine text and voice chat together using TTS and STT. If you look at one feature of Anthem before the game was abandoned for example, it did not do the text side of chat very well (there wasn’t even a scrollable text box), but you could type into chat and it would then do text to speech to people on voice chat. I think it also had STT so you could see a text version of what people were saying in voice chat, but I’m not 100% sure on that side of it.

In D2 and all Blizzard games, I could imagine a merging of voice and text where say people using text only saw voice to text lines for people using voice chat and people using voice chat only would hear TTS of what people in text chat were typing (or some combination of both if you were using both). It wouldn’t always be accurate, but it would be a huge step forward and combine the two types of communication into one central point. It could show an icon or something to show it was automatically converted and not typed. If you wanted to get super crazy you could even try to integrate automatic translation for better cross-language play…

I’m kind of surprised more gaming companies haven’t already gone down that road, especially a company like Blizzard that pushed xplay into Overwatch and has this entire text and voice chat system integrated into a lot of their games. It also would be a huge accessibility leap for people with hearing issues if all their games had STT. It would also mean people who don’t want to turn voice chat on in a game like OW could still see what people were saying if they merged the text and voice chats together.

I’m sure there’s a significant cost associated with doing those things, but if a company like EA can add STT and TTS to a failed game that ended up being abandoned, it seems like Blizzard could pull it off as well across their games that people are actually playing.

4 Likes

Very well put, and while I agree with it, I’d be surprised if Blizzard implemented it on D2R, being this is basically their second PC title to come to console. The TTS, that is. We can always hope…but at the very least, XSX/PS5 need KB+M support. It’s so incredibly achievable.

2 Likes

Console defo needs lobbies like pc - we need to have an option to create a game, name it and do all the other stuff you can do on pc. I beta tested on both pc and ps5 and wow it plays great on console and the skill bindings are great (feels almost like cheating) but the lack of lobby and no way of picking up items with full inv (cube trick) is really bad. I was hoping for an exact port.

9 Likes

We 100% need K&M support. I swear it is a no brainer and easy to implement yet with the lack of other things in the game I would not be surprised if the game is already being dropped somewhat including support especially on consoles. The communication out of them is severely lacking now and it worries me to no end!

I really wish to enjoy this game to the fullest on both my PC and Console! Do not get me started on ladder and ladder only items still being an issues for non ladder characters especially now that we are not getting ladder on launch. They need to remove barriers for the player base and make it more inviting to play how we want to especially for those with families now that didn’t have them originally when the original game came out!

6 Likes

There is no community in the D2R console version due to no lobbies, so I had to refund that game version as well for Xbox Series X. As far as keyboard and mouse on console goes, I am 100% against this since it will give an unfair advantage to others players that use a controller when picking up loot.

2 Likes

It gives an advantage on every aspect, but it’s not like it’s cheating. Anyone can be given the option to use controller or KB+M. Also, you get most of your loot MF’ing something you do solo, or with a team of friends/clan mates, so I can’t agree with the concern over the looting advantage. I really don’t care if I’m in a pub game and a random champ pack in Tristram drops a rare sword and someone else picks it up.

2 Likes

The unfair advantage that I experienced while using a controller on PC in the beta is one of the main reasons why I had to refund the game.

So use KB+M? That literally was your choice. This game was designed for KB+M, what did you expect. And like I said, random loot in pub games isn’t where you rely on finding your gear.

1 Like

This is console, it’s default peripheral device is a controller. I could tell you the same thing.

But you have the option and you’re complaining.

Isn’t this your post complaining about no KB+M support on console? Consoles is the only thing players have left that want a fair advantage with picking up loot. You bring mouse and keyboard to that and picking up loot with a controller is just as unfair as PC.