New Sets, Reintroduction for a Cold Set

Several years ago, when I Wizard was my main class, I put forth a suggestion for a cold based set for Wizards. This set had been inspired by the Firebird’s set in that it provided a set of generic buffs to cold damage based skills and then could have various builds fine tuned and building upon the foundation of the set with specific legendaries like the “Light of Grace”.

Over the years this generated a small amount of interest, but seeing as how Blizzard was not interested in making new sets, I ultimately shelved the idea and walked away from the Wizard entirely in favor of the DH.

Now that Blizzard has announced they are making new sets for classes again, I would once again like to put forth my suggestion for a cold set for the Wizard class. The following link is to the archived forums:

1. Diablo 3 Forums

Well I had other threads too, but seems they were all in the PTR forums and are now all 404.

To reiterate what I had come up with:

Introduction:
So I have been thinking a bunch on the Firebird Set and how I would design a set for my preferred Ray of Frost (‘RoF’ from here on) build. The basic premise for the Firebird Set is simple and cool with how it works with fire. Of course, it could be better but that is neither here nor there far as I am concerned. What I want is a set for cold builds in general that would allow my RoF build to compete at least on the same level as the Firebird builds.

Set should be a 7 piece set with bonuses at the 2, 3, 4, and 6 piece markers. This allows you up to 1 off piece or 2 with a Ring of Royal Grandeur (‘RoRG’). The slots utilized would be the same as with the Firebird set. For me, my two off pieces are Frostburn Gauntlets and a Light of Grace.

Set Bonuses:

• 2-pieces: Upon taking fatal damage, encases the Wizard in an Ice Block for 3 seconds healing them to full health. 5 minute cooldown. (same purpose as the meteor revive with the Firebird set)
  • 4-pieces:
  • 6-pieces: An aura of cold is projected for 40 yards around the wizard slowing all enemies movement and attack speed by 20%. Increases damage taken from cold spells by all enemies within the aura by 500%. (this would be a separate multiplier which your damage is multiplied against after all other damage modifiers are calulated, the competitive bonus of the set)

Now with that said, to promote variety I feel individual set pieces should have special secondary effects that benefits different wizard spells to promote a variety of viable cold builds with the set.

Cold Spells available to the Wizard most likely to be used as primary damage:

• Ray Of Frost - All Runes
  • Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb
  • Blizzard - All Runes except Apocalypse
  • Twister - Mistral Breeze
  • Hydra - Frost Hydra
  • Explosive Blast - Obliterate
  • Meteor - Comet

Individual Set Item Secondary Bonuses:

• Shoulders: Increases the radius of your Blizzard to 30 yards. Does not affect Apocalypse rune. (This is the same radius as the apocalypse rune, but lets you use the other cold runes.)
  • Gloves: The duration of your Blizzard is now doubled. (You won’t need to spam Blizzard as much and doubles the damage it does by doubling the time it deals damage over with the same tick rate and tick value as normal Blizzard.)
  • Boots: Ray of Frost gains the effects of all runes except Sleet Storm. (Unless it is made to both channel a Sleet Storm about you and shoot a blue lazer beam at the same time, though that would be rather OP in my opinion.)
  • Helm: Frost Hydra now breaths a cone twice as long and 50% wider. OR You can now have an additional 1-2 Frost Hydras active at the same time. (The second option would be stackable with Serpent Sparker so you could potentially have up to 4 Frost Hydras active at once.)
  • Chest: Frozen Orb’s radius is doubled. (A wider area to make it a better means of clearing large open areas, A great spell to team up with Blizzard and/or Frost Hydras)
  • Legs: Twister now travels to target location and circles about it. (There are times when you do not want your Twister to wander about at random.)
  • Source: Meteor and Explosive Blast have 50% larger impact radius. (Make them a more practical ability for spamming when in large open spaces.)

General Appearance:
Now I am no artist, but the picture I have in my head is that the set should invoke images of a master of cold perhaps a snow white wizard with white robes, pale complexion tinged with blue, with midnight black hair or snow white hair. The main robe lined in fur, but no icicles for this Wizard for he/she is not one to stand still, but is always in motion like a furious snow storm. Being a guy I envision the female robes having a seductive cut to them, yet covering all the right places and a gauzy appearance around the arms and sparkling with diamons and sapphires. For the male, It should present some eye candy for the ladies, no need to maintain a double standard after all, but it should also cover the right places. Perhaps be open on the frost of the chest piece and long cloak like on the back. Again the robes should be tastefully accented with diamonds and sapphires aiding to impart a cold and aloof appearance.

What does everything think? Side note, the Firebird set could use secondary affects like this I described above to promote diversity in building for the Firebird set.

It goes without saying that many of the above ideas will need changing. A large number of legendaries we have now did not exist when I made this post back in 2016. Among the changes since then:

• Frostburn - generic cold damage gloves
  • Mantle of Channeling - generic buff to damage while channeling things
  • Light of Grace - Ray of Frost now pierces
  • Etched Sigil - our channeled spells now cast our other spenders
  • Ranslor’s Folly - Twisters now suck enemies in
  • Energy Twister Wicked Wind - Twister no longer moves but spins stationary

And many more changes. As such whatever is done will need some discussion to update this idea. That is of course, if Blizzard even considers this and not some other aspect of the Wizard class to make a set for.

Ideas and discussion welcome.

They don’t need to make another element based set. Honestly they need to change firebird set and let, Tals be the element set. The new set needs to be based off of a mechanic that currently sees hardly any use like mirror images or hydra

3 Likes

Disagree. Tal’s is a kaleidoscope of all elements available to a Wizard. Unless you are suggesting Tal’s be changed such that it can work as a mono-element set with any element of a Wizard’s choosing. Also what does Firebird have to do with anything?

Personally, I don’t care about mirror images or hydras. I also don’t care about archon nor slow time. Generally, I am not a fan of gimmick sets built around a singular skill, rather that is something that should be bolstered by explicit legendaries. I believe a set should be a generic foundation upon which to build from. LoN is a good example of that.

2 Likes
  1. He means making Firebird the single-element set, and Tal be the multi-element set
  2. You may not like Hydras, but I assure you a lot of the Wizard community does. It’s the most classic Diablo spell (was the best skill in D1, and top fire skill in D2, will also come back for D4). Hydra is as iconic as Frozen orb.
  3. We already have a ‘frost’ set because DMO is essentially a Frozen Orb set in it’s current iteration.
1 Like

I mean I’m tired of sets being too close to what they do. 2 different sets should not have the same skill set.

Ex. Firebird Meteor vs Tals Meteor.
Yes they have slightly different skills, but the overall build, damage source and application of said damage source are the exact same.

If they want to keep sets different then they need to do 1 of 2 things before creating a new set.

1. firebird should do only fire. Tals should do only lightning, dmo should do only frost.
    Or
  2. firebird based on a mechanic (like pet hydra build and familiar). Tals based on how it is currently (any element build). Dmo based on slow time (and mirror images)

After 1 of the 2 is done then we should focus on a new set. There is like 0 reason currently to make a new cold set because of Tals and DMO. Sure, it’s not a pure cold build, but every build out there uses 1 main damage source. They don’t split damage between multiple abilities.

If you want a pure cold based set then it will end up like firebird. Dumpster mechanics and outclassed by a different set.

1. Making Firebird work with any element I could dig. Though it would require renaming the set and complete rework of all set bonuses.
  2. Never said there are not fans of the skill, nor that it isn’t iconic. I always played a cold sorc in D2. I am in fact, a fan of Hydra myself, I just don’t want to see a set built around a single specific spell like how DMO and Vyrs are.
  3. Not one single set works with Ray of Frost. Again, I want a GENERIC cold set, not one built around a single spell.

Hell, I mentioned LoN. It does work to a degree as a generic foundational set. just really lacking when you try and stack it up against other builds. Probably more a function of how weak Ray of Frost is over all more than anything unfortunately. /sigh

I just want to see a set, for the wizard, that can allow for single element builds, without being built around a specific skill, like Slow Time. DMO isn’t the answer.

Explosive Blast set:

Helm, Pants, Boots, Belt, Ammy, Shoulder, Gloves

2pc bonus: While gathering energy, Explosive blast sucks in enemies within an X yards and stuns them for X length of time. (CC that can be used with other sets and group play)

4pc bonus: Every time you gather energy for EB, your skin turns to diamond with all runes (basically with diamond skin).

6pc bonus: Explosive blast ripples out in front of you for X yards per set item worn (5 yards, 10 yards, etc.)( don’t know how to word it, think EB casts every x yards in front you after casts over x seconds) . Enemies hit by Explosive blast are now knocked back. (this creates a suck in and blow out mechanic for EB)

Personally I currently refuse to okay with an explosive blast wizard because if the visual spam. Making a set around is a no go from me

The thing with this though is that Tals and/or DMO will be better than the set you’re wanting for any supporting legendary item created for the main spell. Firebird (pure fire set) is exactly that but for fire spells and it’s the worst set. The same thing would happen for strictly a cold set. If you’re wanting to use Ray of frost channeling then you can already do that with Tals.

The new set needs to be strictly over a unique mechanic to the wizard class to create variety

I’d be estatic if they would do that. I’m sick to death of having 33% of my skills on the bar being just so I can get the full bonus of the set.

And while I’ll admit that a set shouldn’t be about one particular skill it’s not like they can introduce a new element in the game so I’m guessing it’s going to be about a (set of) skill(s). I’d love to have a chance at channeling for real.

Personally I would love it if they took a skill we (hardly) haven’t used yet, but I suppose the problem would be that there would be no supporting legendaries (Blizzard anyone?). So if if we can’t expect supporting legendaries I’d vote for Twisters, Orbs or Hydra.

And unless they rework the Firebird mechanics I’m not going anywhere it. It imho has the worst mechanic in the game by far.

1 Like

No you cannot. When I say pure cold, I mean it. No other damage permitted. Tals requires all 4 available damage types, unless they changed it so you can just rotate two and get all 4 stacks. Still that requires a second damage type. If Tals worked with only a single damage type, and you got the full benefit of its full scope of power, then things would be different.

Right now, my Wizard is a LoN Wizard. Her build is:

• Ray of Frost - Snow Blast
  • Diamond Skin - Enduring Skin
  • Teleport - Wormhole
  • Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor
  • Magic Weapon - Force Weapon

As you might guess, I use Deathwish, Light of Grace, and Etched Sigil. You cannot make that work with Tals. Of course, that isn’t even what I really wanted to use when I first started at looking to make this build when the LoN set was first introduced. I had wanted to use:

• Ray of Frost - Snow Blast
  • Diamond Skin - Enduring Skin
  • Hydra - Frost Hydra
  • Blizzard - Frozen Solid
  • Meteor - Comet

Alas, Etched Sigil rotates between the other spenders too slowly. Idea had been to be a walking Arctic Storm that froze Hell, and everything in it, over as I traveled around.

You really need to look at the 2 sentences before the one you quoted.

Also, your entire reason for a full cold set is flawed in the basic premise of the build. It will never be as good as any other set because you are trying to focus on killing by using too many different damage sources.

In any build out there you need to focus on 1 specific damage source and buff it as much as you can. You want to be competitive, but you don’t want to take the steps to get there.

Example, the above can work if you get rid of Arcane Orb, Hydra and either focus on Blizzard or Meteor. You can use Ray of Frost as a channel with other supporting legendaries to buff either Meteor, or to a lesser extent Blizzard, as a main damage source.

Here is an example of what you want and why it won’t work. Take all those spells as a cold variant, switch it to the fire variant and run Firebirds. It just doesn’t work as well compared to Firebird while focusing on Meteor damage as your main damage source.

I made a semi decent build for you for what you’re looking for. It’s not the best, but it fits the theme you want. It would also be better if you switched out a few skill, but I wanted to keep it within the scope of the type of build you want. Basically you channel Ray of Frost to get the swirl of doom and etched sigil procs Blizzard and Meteor. Meteor does all your damage.

d3planner.com/441632409

Not quite, the current Frost set is LoN frozen orb. DMO is a steaming pile, as it has been since it was released. It’s unfun and clunky as Firebirds is as deeply flawed.

They are all unfun which is why I swapped to DH more than 12 seasons ago.

This is all laziness on your part. You assume, just because Firebird is flawed design, that it can’t be done. What a single damage source is, is efficient in terms of playstyle. Turn on yer buffs, press yer lone damage button, and off you go.

Of course, what I do isn’t really any different. I just channel Ray of Frost and let Etched Sigil fire everything else. However, it is fun to see the map turned into an arctic wasteland. Not efficient, but fun. It doesn’t kill very well though. With LoN, I CAN clear T16 rifts, just at a plodding pace. This is something most people do not want since most players seem to be stuck in the fast lane of gaming.

Now, I made a set a long while back. I made this thread to resurrect the idea since Blizzard has announced they are actually making new class sets again. Instead of suggesting ways it could be done, you have spent all your time trying to suggest why it can’t be done.

Not why it can’t be done. Obviously it can be done. It’s why it shouldn’t be done. New sets need to bring something new. Not something that can be done better with a current set.

Take a look at monks new set. It’s so stupid because SWK TR already does the exact same thing mechanics wise and does more damage. This is basically what you want for wizard, and I will do everything I can to ensure we get a new set that’s different from others.

1 Like

Ok, so you are an idiot. Got it. “Shouldn’t be done,” in this situation is no different from, “it can’t be done”. So go make your own thread suggesting what you DO want to see.

@Maddhawk:
Just a small bit of advice, that even I forget to apply from time to time, is save your posts on your hard drive as text files. Its really unfortunate that at some point in the near future Blizz will just turn off and discard the old forum. There is such a massive body of knowledge there. We don’t even have a means of downloading all of our old posts from the old forum. XML would be an elegant solution so that standard and custom tools could be used against the old forum data.

I find your idea interesting. I disagree with some of the specifics, but what I did like is the idea that:

• a set is a foundation for builds
  • a set is not limited to a single skill
  • legendaries should be the place to buff/augment individual skills

This promotes diversity, but will also be viewed as a homogenizing clump similar to the Crusader Akkhan set.

If they do make a Cold set, They should make it look like you are Loki from Marvel. I mean the male already looks like Loki without his armor. It would be cool if you had his armor too. And make a Crusader/barbarian set that made you look like Thor.

1 Like

Here is a Cold / Lightning set idea,

Storm Chaser:

(2): Frost nova can now be cast at target location for 2500% cold damage and whenever an enemy is killed it will also release a frost nova.
(2): Cold skills now chill targets for 80% movement speed reduction and lightning skills have 30% chance to stun targets for 2 seconds.

(4): Storm Armor reduces ranged damage taken by 75% and increase movement speed by 25%. In addition every time it strikes an enemy it will cast a lightning blizzard at the target location.

(6): Energy twister (Mistral breeze rune) will cast a blizzard (Frozen Solid rune) at the target location.
(6): Increase blizzard and energy twister damage by 5000%, Lightning and cold blizzard now stacks.